Who we are:
We are a bunch of people who really care about agriculture, food and the challenges facing farming. We want to help farmers with data driven decision making to help nature feed a growing population. Join our team of expert engineers, agronomists, entomologists, crop researchers, and data scientists who are continually conducting research to help drive innovation in agriculture.
Semios is a market leader in leveraging the internet-of-things (IoT) and big data to improve the sustainability and profitability of specialty crops. With 500 million data points being reported by our sensors every day, we leverage our big data analytics, such as in-depth pest and disease modeling, to empower tree fruit and tree nut growers with decision-making tools to minimize resources and risks.
Our innovative work has received several industry awards:
- AgTech Breakthrough Awards Program (2023) - Selected as winner of the “Overall Smart Irrigation Company Of The Year” award.
- Sustainability Changemaker by SDTC (2022) - Named as one of the companies which recognize homegrown innovation in sustainable technologies in Canada.
- AgTech Breakthrough Awards Program (2021) – Selected as winner of the "Pest Management Solutions of the Year" award.
- Google Accelerator (2020) – Selected as 1 of 9 companies for the inaugural Google for Startups Accelerator Canada cohort, who are all using technology to solve complex challenges.
- Global CleanTech Top 100 (2020) – Identified as one of the companies best positioned to solve tomorrow’s clean technology challenges.
One of our partners produced this short video which shows what we do and our positive environmental impact.
We know our journey is only achievable by having a great team who shares ideas, tries new things and learns as we go.
Who you are:
Motivated by meaningful work, you are looking for more than just a job; you want to work for a dynamic, growing company that finds solutions to real-life problems, such as helping the world reduce the use of pesticides and helping nature feed a growing population. Your ideal work environment includes a collaborative team spirit with the opportunity to learn and grow as you take the initiative to try new things.
What you will do:
The Revenue Accountant oversees the financial transactions of revenue accounting, including invoicing and collections. They conduct financial analysis to ensure accurate financial reporting that allows management to make data-driven decisions.
- Ensure revenue recognition policies adhere to accounting standards, comply with company policy and align with the commercial terms of customer contracts.
- Complete all month-end processing tasks analysis and reports, such as balance sheet and revenue reconciliations.
- Overall responsibility and oversight for the invoicing and payment reminder/ collection processes, with emphasis being effectiveness and efficiency while ensuring accurate and timely financial transactions.
- Ensure accuracy and completeness in the reporting of revenue, metrics and related transactions. Analyze data and reporting to provide meaningful insights.
- Collaborate with colleagues from all levels of the organization to ensure alignment on invoicing and collection matters.
- Ensure all regulatory and tax compliance requirements related to revenue are calculated, and filed accurately and on time, including commissions.
We want you to succeed, so you will need:
- Proven experience in revenue accounting
- CPA or equivalent certification completed or nearing completion
- A resilient, flexible, solution-oriented approach to addressing areas of improvement, including digging into issues
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Self-directed, highly motivated and energetic
- Outstanding work ethic with strong commitment to quality and delivering on time
- Comfortable as an individual contributor, collaborative team member and becoming a leader
Nice to have:
- Public accounting experience working in a similar industry
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics
- A track record of improving productivity and implementing improvements that drive efficiencies and business performance
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Google Suite
Salary range: $78,000 to $88,000 per year
Please note that the base pay offered may vary based on factors including but not limited to knowledge, skills and experience, as well as business and organizational needs.
Why this is the opportunity for you:
- Sleep better knowing you're making the world a better place through more sustainable food production
- Opportunity to contribute and make an impact by working on meaningful projects
- Work with a team that values fun, laughter, and each other in a collaborative and casual work environment
- Flexible working arrangements and strong work-life balance culture
- Multiple office locations, convenient via transit and bike paths
- Extended medical plan with a Health Spending Account with premiums paid by the company
- Group RRSP, which includes a 3% company paid match after one year of employment
At Semios, we recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. If your experience is close to what you see listed here, please still consider applying. We know that our differences often can bring about innovation, excellence and meaningful work; therefore, people from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply to our positions. If you require accommodations during the interview process, please let us know. We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish and we welcome everyone.