Who we are:
We are a bunch of people who really care about agriculture, food and the challenges facing farming. We want to help farmers with data driven decision making to help nature feed a growing population. Join our team of expert engineers, agronomists, entomologists, crop researchers, and data scientists who are continually conducting research to help drive innovation in agriculture.
Semios is a market leader in leveraging the internet-of-things (IoT) and big data to improve the sustainability and profitability of specialty crops. With 500 million data points being reported by our sensors every day, we leverage our big data analytics, such as in-depth pest and disease modeling, to empower tree fruit and tree nut growers with decision-making tools to minimize resources and risks.
Our innovative work has received several industry awards:
- AgTech Breakthrough Awards Program (2023) - Selected as winner of the “Overall Smart Irrigation Company Of The Year” award.
- Sustainability Changemaker by SDTC (2022) - Named as one of the companies which recognize homegrown innovation in sustainable technologies in Canada.
- AgTech Breakthrough Awards Program (2021) – Selected as winner of the "Pest Management Solutions of the Year" award.
- Google Accelerator (2020) – Selected as 1 of 9 companies for the inaugural Google for Startups Accelerator Canada cohort, who are all using technology to solve complex challenges.
- Global CleanTech Top 100 (2020) – Identified as one of the companies best positioned to solve tomorrow’s clean technology challenges.
One of our partners produced this short video which shows what we do and our positive environmental impact.
We know our journey is only achievable by having a great team who shares ideas, tries new things and learns as we go.
Who you are:
Motivated by meaningful work, you are looking for more than just a job; you want to work for a dynamic, growing company that finds solutions to real-life problems, such as helping the world reduce the use of pesticides and helping nature feed a growing population. Your ideal work environment includes a collaborative team spirit with the opportunity to learn and grow as you take the initiative to try new things.
As our US HR/Talent Manager, you will be the first point of contact for day to day inquiries from employees and managers. Working with the Global Manager, HR/Talent, you will develop policies, ensure compliance with state and federal regulations, oversee safety, champion HR programs and lead talent-related initiatives. In this hands-on role you will work closely with managers to drive the engagement and productivity of our teams.
To be successful in this role, you must be a clear, proactive communicator who anticipates and adapts to evolving business needs and is able to apply good judgment in advising managers and employees. You welcome the opportunity to demonstrate and reinforce our company values and help our teams bring their best to our customers everyday. You are a US HR subject matter expert with strong legal acumen and are able to recommend, design and implement best practices.
What you will do:
- Provide mentorship, coaching, support, and development to the local HR team
- Provide guidance to supervisors and managers on policies, employee relations, compensation, employee development, and other matters
- Respond to employee employees inquiries regarding policies, benefit programs, and workplace issues
- Collaborate with leaders to understand staffing needs and workforce requirements
- Partner with the Recruitment Lead to support candidate sourcing and employer branding initiatives to develop a robust pipeline of talent
- Provide tools and training to enhance leadership skills
- Partner with payroll to ensure payroll practices are compliant with applicable local, state and federal regulations
Employee Relations & Compliance
- Lead internal investigations as needed to ensure issues are handled professionally, thoroughly and confidentially
- Ensure compliance with all legal requirements in various jurisdictions including state and federal reporting requirements (mainly California and Washington)
- Research and ensure compliance with legislation in a variety of states
- Provides oversight and guidance for protected leave (FMLA, CFRA, PDL, LTD), workers’ compensation, reasonable accommodation, and light duty programs.
- Review and develop employee policies to ensure they are updated to reflect most current laws and regulations and are clearly communicated and enforced
- Ensure compliance with workers compensation and manage claims
- Partner with Health & Safety to ensure policies and practices are compliant
Annual Processes & Projects
- Conduct research into HR best practices and create recommendations for policies, practices and programs that align with the organization’s strategy and values
- Collect data from various sources including employee surveys, exit interviews, and focus groups to gather input and identify priorities
- Support the review and implementation of new HR systems and processes
- Responsible for the HR annual processes - performance reviews, compensation adjustments, employee surveys, salary structure
- Conduct an annual review of benefits, make recommendations for annual renewals and plan design, and ensure that the annual enrollment process is completed.
We want you to succeed, so you will need:
- 5+ years of relevant and progressive direct experience
- Ability to build strong relationships across the organization and influence the adoption of HR programs and tools
- Strong knowledge and experience in applying state and federal employment laws and standards
- Experienced in US benefits administration
- Effective written and verbal communication in one-on-one or group settings
- Ability to manage competing deadlines and adapt to changing priorities
- Proficiency with MS office/GSuite tools
- Adept at addressing sensitive and confidential HR issues with tact and discretion
- Excellent judgment, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to travel to our warehouse sites as required, primarily within California and Washington. Travel to Vancouver, BC annually.
Nice to have:
- Prior experience in Agriculture or a technology company
- Familiarity/experience in health and safety requirements & programs
- Diploma or Degree in Human Resources or Business
- SHRM designation
Salary range: $90,000 to $105,000 per year
Please note that the base pay offered may vary based on factors including but not limited to knowledge, skills and experience, as well as geographic location.
Why this is the opportunity for you:
- Sleep better knowing you're making the world a better place through more sustainable food production
- Opportunity to contribute and make an impact by working on meaningful projects
- Work with a team that values fun, laughter, and each other in a collaborative and casual work environment
- Customizable health benefits plan for you and your family, which includes medical, dental, vision, and basic life insurance
- Employees are able to enroll in our company's 401(K) plan, which includes a paid company match
- Company paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave
At Semios, we recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. If your experience is close to what you see listed here, please still consider applying. We know that our differences often can bring about innovation, excellence and meaningful work—therefore, people from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply to our positions. If you require accommodations during the interview process, please let us know. We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish and we welcome everyone.
**This organization participates in E-verify.