Who we are:
We are a bunch of people who really care about agriculture, food and the challenges facing farming. We want to help farmers with data driven decision making to help nature feed a growing population. Join our team of expert engineers, agronomists, entomologists, crop researchers, and data scientists who are continually conducting research to help drive innovation in agriculture.
Semios is a market leader in leveraging the internet-of-things (IoT) and big data to improve the sustainability and profitability of specialty crops. With 500 million data points being reported by our sensors every day, we leverage our big data analytics, such as in-depth pest and disease modeling, to empower tree fruit and tree nut growers with decision-making tools to minimize resources and risks. We are in a high growth phase with 2021 seeing us expand into Italy, Australia and Spain.
Our innovative work has received several industry awards:
- AgTech Breakthrough Awards Program (2021) – Selected as winner of the "Pest Management Solutions of the Year" award.
- Global CleanTech Top 100 (2020) – Identified as one of the companies best positioned to solve tomorrow’s clean technology challenges.
- Google Accelerator (2020) – Selected as 1 of 9 companies for the inaugural Google for Startups Accelerator Canada cohort, who are all using technology to solve complex challenges.
One of our partners produced this short video which shows what we do and our positive environmental impact.
We know our journey is only achievable by having a great team who shares ideas, tries new things and learns as we go.
Who you are:
Motivated by meaningful work, you are looking for more than just a job; you want to work for a dynamic, growing company that finds solutions to real-life problems, such as helping the world reduce the use of pesticides and helping nature feed a growing population. Your ideal work environment includes a collaborative team spirit with the opportunity to learn and grow as you take the initiative to try new things.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for assisting with overseeing the month end processing and reporting of the organization, including performing financial functions ensuring strong internal controls, and responsible for monthly reconciliations, analysis and reporting of the company's financial operations.
What you will do:
- Prepare entity level & consolidated financial statements and management reports. Coordinate the monthly and year-end close process to ensure an accurate and timely month end close, ensuring best practice and efficiency without compromising quality. Preparation of all reconciliations, analytics and working papers to achieve and prepare the financial results. Preparation and review of month-end and year-end working papers, including Balance Sheet reconciliation reconciliation reports and functional/departmental analysis reports.
- Contribute to the year-end audit efforts, including close collaboration with external auditors, and assist with the production of year end statutory accounts.
- Complete regulatory and tax filings in all of Semios’ jurisdictions and ensure compliance.
- Provide guidance and support by identifying learning opportunities and training of the Accounting Team.
- Identify accounting issues and improvements as they occur and recommend solutions.
We want you to succeed, so you will need:
- 4+ years of full cycle accounting experience with companies with multiple subsidiaries in different jurisdictions
- Experience planning and managing the month end process and preparing reports
- A resilient, flexible, solution oriented approach to addressing areas of improvement, likes digging into issues and enjoys taking leadership in addressing problems
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Self-directed, highly motivated and energetic
- Outstanding work ethic with strong commitment to quality and delivering on time
- Comfortable as an individual contributor, collaborative team member and leader
- Qualified CPA
Nice to have:
- Public practice experience working with manufacturing clients
- Similar experience in a manufacturing company
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics 365
- A desire to improve productivity through automation and tool implementation
- A track record of identifying and implementing improvements that drive efficiencies and business performance
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Google Suite
Why this is the opportunity for you:
- Sleep better knowing you're making the world a better place through more sustainable food production
- Opportunity to contribute and make an impact by working on meaningful projects
- Work with a team that values fun, laughter, and each other in collaborative and casual work environment
- Multiple office locations, convenient via transit and bike paths
- Flexible hybrid working environment and hours
Semios welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish and we welcome everyone.