Accounting Manager, Inventory
Who we are:
We are a bunch of people who really care about agriculture, food and the challenges facing farming. We want to help farmers with data driven decision making to help nature feed a growing population. Join our team of expert engineers, agronomists, entomologists, crop researchers, and data scientists who are continually conducting research to help drive innovation in agriculture.
Semios is a market leader in leveraging the internet-of-things (IoT) and big data to improve the sustainability and profitability of specialty crops. With 500 million data points being reported by our sensors every day, we leverage our big data analytics, such as in-depth pest and disease modeling, to empower tree fruit and tree nut growers with decision-making tools to minimize resources and risks.
Our innovative work has received several industry awards:
- AgTech Breakthrough Awards Program (2022) – Selected as winner of the "Precision Agriculture Solutions of the Year" award.
- Sustainability Changemaker by SDTC (2022) - Named as one of the companies which recognize homegrown innovation in sustainable technologies in Canada.
- Google Accelerator (2020) – Selected as 1 of 9 companies for the inaugural Google for Startups Accelerator Canada cohort, who are all using technology to solve complex challenges.
One of our partners produced this short video which shows what we do and our positive environmental impact.
We know our journey is only achievable by having a great team who shares ideas, tries new things and learns as we go.
Who you are:
Motivated by meaningful work, you are looking for more than just a job; you want to work for a dynamic, growing company that finds solutions to real-life problems, such as helping the world reduce the use of pesticides and helping nature feed a growing population. Your ideal work environment includes a collaborative team spirit with the opportunity to learn and grow as you take the initiative to try new things.
What you will do:
As the Cost Accounting Manager, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining an effective system of controls to record and report transactions, including ensuring that costs for the company’s products and services are allocated according to corporate procedures and in compliance with financial accounting standards.
You have a strong desire to leave things better than you found them, and you’re excited to contribute to a dynamic company that finds solutions to real-life problems. You are keen to roll up your sleeves and execute on accounting responsibilities while building the right processes that result in providing accurate, timely and relevant financial information to all stakeholders. You take pride in developing and maintaining an effective cost accounting system to reduce cost and improve overall profitability.
- Support the development and maintenance of an efficient inventory management system within the organization’s ERP environment
- Work with supply chain to develop or better understand existing processes, metrics and KPIs that influence financial performance
- Analyze and report variances on work orders for manufacturing; ensure appropriate reporting of costs
- Analyze costs of materials, processes and labour to determine opportunities and methods for reduction of production and inventory costs
- Analyze and reconcile inventory transactions for accuracy and completeness in support of monthly financial reporting
- Oversee the physical inventory program including monitoring and reporting the results of cycle and full counts
- Assess processes and systems to identify key control activities with inventory valuation, ensuring adherence to best practice and accounting policy
- Develop and document accounting and operational process and procedures around the inventory management and costing processes
Reporting & Analysis
- Support the development and oversight of gross margin analytics and management reports to enable management in making data driven decisions
- Analyze complex data and identify patterns, recommend actions, and measure outcomes
- Provide management with reports specifying and comparing factors affecting the cost and profitability of products
Leadership & Other
- Lead and support the Cost Accounting team to validate and record all Cost of Sales transactions, ensuring inventory and fixed assets are appropriately reported
- Lead and support the Accounts Payable function and team; ensuring all expenses are appropriately reported and paid, accurately and on time
- Assists in the annual budgeting process
- Collaborate and complete month-end processing tasks
- Assist with year-end external audit, including the preparation of audit working papers and audit sample selection
- Perform other duties with the Director of Finance as required
We want you to succeed, so you will need:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance, CPA preferred
- 5-7+ years of relevant work experience in a manufacturing setting; preferred experience supporting inventory management
- Ability to apply knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles & Cost Accounting Standards
- Solid knowledge of inventory management in ERP systems, preference to Microsoft Dynamics
- Strong Excel skills, especially financial modeling and analytical techniques
- Experience of identifying and implementing improvements that drive efficiencies and business performance
- Strong individual contributor, team player and able to lead teams and projects
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills; strong focus on accuracy and attention to detail
- Able to streamline and automate complex processes
Nice to have:
- Public practice experience working with manufacturing clients
- Financial planning and analysis (FP&A) experience in a manufacturing and/or inventory management setting
- Strong working knowledge of Google Suite
Why this is the opportunity for you:
- Sleep better knowing you're making the world a better place through more sustainable food production
- Opportunity to contribute and make an impact by working on meaningful projects
- Work with a team that values fun, laughter, and each other in collaborative and casual work environment
- Multiple office locations, convenient via transit and bike paths
- Flexible hybrid working environment and hours
Semios welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish and we welcome everyone.
Something looks off?