Who we are:
We are a bunch of people who really care about agriculture, food and the challenges facing farming. We want to help farmers with data driven decision making to help nature feed a growing population. Join our team of expert engineers, agronomists, entomologists, crop researchers, and data scientists who are continually conducting research to help drive innovation in agriculture.
Semios is a market leader in leveraging the internet-of-things (IoT) and big data to improve the sustainability and profitability of specialty crops. With 500 million data points being reported by our sensors every day, we leverage our big data analytics, such as in-depth pest and disease modeling, to empower tree fruit and tree nut growers with decision-making tools to minimize resources and risks.
Our innovative work has received several industry awards:
- AgTech Breakthrough Awards Program (2022) – Selected as winner of the "Precision Agriculture Solutions of the Year" award.
- Sustainability Changemaker by SDTC (2022) - Named as one of the companies which recognize homegrown innovation in sustainable technologies in Canada.
- Google Accelerator (2020) – Selected as 1 of 9 companies for the inaugural Google for Startups Accelerator Canada cohort, who are all using technology to solve complex challenges.
One of our partners produced this short video which shows what we do and our positive environmental impact.
We know our journey is only achievable by having a great team who shares ideas, tries new things and learns as we go.
Who you are:
Motivated by meaningful work, you are looking for more than just a job; you want to work for a dynamic, growing company that finds solutions to real-life problems, such as helping the world reduce the use of pesticides and helping nature feed a growing population. Your ideal work environment includes a collaborative team spirit with the opportunity to learn and grow as you take the initiative to try new things.
What you will do:
Working closely with the CFO and executive team, we are looking for an operationally oriented Corporate Counsel to manage the legal and corporate affairs of our diverse global business. You will safeguard our reputation by managing risks in business process and decision making and provide timely advice to the executive team on all relevant issues.
The successful candidate will also support broader risk management initiatives, corporate governance and other operating activities. This is an excellent opportunity for an individual with an interest in expanding their legal background into a broader mandate.
Legal: Give accurate and timely advice to stakeholders on a variety of relevant legal issues. Work cross-functionally by supporting and advising internal and external stakeholders on a variety of matters; including, corporate, labor, technology, data and security. Review, draft and solidify a variety of agreements, contracts, and other legal documents.
Risk Management: Apply effective risk management techniques. Support offloading risk through the insurance program. Provide oversight to the safety and fleet management programs and other operational initiatives.
Corporate Governance and Corporate Affairs: Develop internal governance policies and regularly monitor compliance. Support the board secretariat processes. Manage the Company’s cap table and stock incentive plans. Support shareholders communications.
We want you to succeed, so you will need:
- 5+ years PQE with a corporate and/or technology-focused background, gained either at a reputable law-firm or in-house
- Expertise with the negotiation and preparation of non-contentious contracts and sophisticated commercial agreements
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to suit a wide range of internal & external stakeholders
- Knowledge and understanding of corporate law and procedures
- Great understanding of the influences of the internal and external environment of a corporation
- Juris Doctor of LLB from an accredited law school
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of British Columbia
- Collaborative skills and style
- Sound judgement and ability to analyze situations and information
- Energetic and energizing
- High standards of excellence, honesty, and integrity
- Will be a trusted, supportive, and collaborative colleague
- Ability to function in an environment with a high degree of ambiguity
Nice to have:
- Experience in M&A, financings and/or other corporate transactional experience
- Experience supporting Board of Directors
- Familiarity with project management methodologies
- Global or international experience
Why this is the opportunity for you:
- Sleep better knowing you're making the world a better place through more sustainable food production.
- Opportunity to contribute and make an impact by working on meaningful projects.
- Work with a team that values fun, laughter, and each other in collaborative and casual work environment
- Multiple office locations, convenient via transit and bike paths.
- Flexible hybrid working environment (2 days/week in office) and hours.
Semios welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish and we welcome everyone.
Something looks off?