Financial Analyst (Temp, Full-time, 8 months)
Who we are:
We are a bunch of people who really care about agriculture, food and the challenges facing farming. We want to help farmers with data driven decision making to help nature feed a growing population. Join our team of expert engineers, agronomists, entomologists, crop researchers, and data scientists who are continually conducting research to help drive innovation in agriculture.
Semios is a market leader in leveraging the internet-of-things (IoT) and big data to improve the sustainability and profitability of specialty crops. With 500 million data points being reported by our sensors every day, we leverage our big data analytics, such as in-depth pest and disease modeling, to empower tree fruit and tree nut growers with decision-making tools to minimize resources and risks.
Our innovative work has received several industry awards:
- AgTech Breakthrough Awards Program (2022) – Selected as winner of the "Precision Agriculture Solutions of the Year" award.
- Sustainability Changemaker by SDTC (2022) - Named as one of the companies which recognize homegrown innovation in sustainable technologies in Canada.
- Google Accelerator (2020) – Selected as 1 of 9 companies for the inaugural Google for Startups Accelerator Canada cohort, who are all using technology to solve complex challenges.
One of our partners produced this short video which shows what we do and our positive environmental impact.
We know our journey is only achievable by having a great team who shares ideas, tries new things and learns as we go.
Who you are:
Motivated by meaningful work, you are looking for more than just a job; you want to work for a dynamic, growing company that finds solutions to real-life problems, such as helping the world reduce the use of pesticides and helping nature feed a growing population. Your ideal work environment includes a collaborative team spirit with the opportunity to learn and grow as you take the initiative to try new things.
The role is an excellent fit for someone wanting to get broad business experience in a fast paced corporate environment. This role will report directly to the CFO and will support them with developing clear and concise business reports and presentations.
What you will do:
- Support the CFO in preparation of adhoc financial information and analysis (forecasts, strategic plans, sales analysis, unit costs, etc)
- Assist in the preparation of presentations of financial analysis to senior management and the board of directors; presentations, reports, summaries.
- Provide insights through analysis of our financial data, identify required action items and effective frame decisions to be made
- Coordinate with internal teams to gather data and drive cross-functional analysis
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with business partners and cross-functional teams at all levels of the company
- Other projects as assigned by the CFO
We want you to succeed, so you will need:
- Post-secondary degree, finance or accounting specialization
- Superior attention to detail, accuracy is part of your personal brand
- Innovative and adaptive problem-solving skills to provide tailored solutions
- Experience in finance, management consulting, accounting or any related area
- Strong financial acumen
- Motivated and passionate self-starter, driven to achieve results, ability to function in an environment of ambiguity
- Ability to create impactful presentations to concisely communicate results
- Comfortable managing multiple tasks with competing priorities and adapting to a changing, fast paced, entrepreneurial environment
Nice to have:
- Experience at a tech company
- Knowledge of the agriculture industry and the AgTech market
Why this is the opportunity for you:
- Sleep better knowing you're making the world a better place through more sustainable food production.
- Opportunity to contribute and make an impact by working on meaningful projects.
- Work with a team that values fun, laughter, and each other in collaborative and casual work environment
- Multiple office locations, convenient via transit and bike paths.
- Flexible hybrid working environment and hours
Semios welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish and we welcome everyone.
Something looks off?