Who we are:
We are a bunch of people who really care about agriculture, food and the challenges facing farming. We want to help farmers with data driven decision making to help nature feed a growing population. Join our team of expert engineers, agronomists, entomologists, crop researchers, and data scientists who are continually conducting research to help drive innovation in agriculture.
Semios is a market leader in leveraging the internet-of-things (IoT) and big data to improve the sustainability and profitability of specialty crops. With 500 million data points being reported by our sensors every day, we leverage our big data analytics, such as in-depth pest and disease modeling, to empower tree fruit and tree nut growers with decision-making tools to minimize resources and risks.
Our innovative work has received several industry awards:
- AgTech Breakthrough Awards Program (2022) – Selected as winner of the "Precision Agriculture Solutions of the Year" award.
- Sustainability Changemaker by SDTC (2022) - Named as one of the companies which recognize homegrown innovation in sustainable technologies in Canada.
- Google Accelerator (2020) – Selected as 1 of 9 companies for the inaugural Google for Startups Accelerator Canada cohort, who are all using technology to solve complex challenges.
One of our partners produced this short video which shows what we do and our positive environmental impact.
We know our journey is only achievable by having a great team who shares ideas, tries new things and learns as we go.
Who you are:
Motivated by meaningful work, you are looking for more than just a job; you want to work for a dynamic, growing company that finds solutions to real-life problems, such as helping the world reduce the use of pesticides and helping nature feed a growing population. Your ideal work environment includes a collaborative team spirit with the opportunity to learn and grow as you take the initiative to try new things.
You have a strong desire to leave things better than you found them, and you’re excited about contributing to a dynamic company that finds solutions to real-life problems. You are keen to roll up your sleeves and execute on accounting responsibilities while building the right processes that result in providing accurate, timely and relevant financial information to all stakeholders.
What you will do:
In this role, you will perform financial functions related to the maintenance of the accounting system; be responsible for reconciliations, analysis and reporting of the company's financial operations. As an intermediate level Accountant, you will be responsible for the full range of routine and complex accounting and record-keeping functions, in conjunction with the Accounting team.
- Collaborate and complete month-end processing tasks (e.g. prepaid and accrual calculations and journals, etc.).
- Support the month-end and year-end close process.
- Maintain the chart of accounts, an orderly accounting filing system, and a system of controls over accounting transactions ensuring best practice and efficiency without compromising quality
- Complete balance sheet reconciliations and maintain balance sheet reconciliation files, ensuring that it is updated monthly with no variances or outstanding items lasting more than one month.
- Update, reconcile and complete departmental analysis reports, as well as prepare the accounts for distribution, along with some variance analysis.
- Identify ad hoc accounting issues as they occur and recommend solutions.
- Complete monthly settlement of Intercompany balances and month end foreign exchange adjustments and reconciliations.
- Assist with year-end external audit, including the preparation of audit working papers and audit sample selection.
- Complete regulatory and tax filings in all of Semios’ jurisdictions and review and maintain Transfer Pricing policies
- Identify ad hoc accounting issues and improvements as they occur and recommend solutions.
- Complete special projects and other duties as assigned
- Support & cover for other Finance team members as and when necessary e.g.during periods of sickness or holiday
We want you to succeed, so you will need:
- 3 years’+ of experience in a similar role
- A resilient, flexible, solution oriented approach to addressing areas of improvement, likes digging into issues and addressing problems
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and self-directed; highly motivated and energetic
- Outstanding work ethic with strong commitment to quality and delivering on time
- Comfortable as an individual contributor and a collaborative team member
- Accounting Diploma or Degree
Nice to have:
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics
- Experience with productivity improvement through automation and tool implementation
- Experience with process improvement using process mapping and documentation
- Strong working knowledge of Google Suite
- Proficient in data entry
Why this is the opportunity for you:
- Sleep better knowing you're making the world a better place through more sustainable food production.
- Opportunity to contribute and make an impact by working on meaningful projects.
- Work with a team that values fun, laughter, and each other in collaborative and casual work environment
- Multiple office locations, convenient via transit and bike paths.
- Flexible hybrid working environment and hours
Semios welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish and we welcome everyone.
Something looks off?