Chief Executive Officer
Who we are:
Semios is a market leader in leveraging the internet-of-things (IoT) and big data to improve the sustainability and profitability of specialty crops. With 500 million data points being reported by our sensors every day, we leverage our big data analytics, such as in-depth pest and disease modeling, to empower tree fruit and tree nut growers with decision-making tools to minimize resources and risks.
Our innovative work has received several industry awards:
- AgTech Breakthrough Awards Program (2022) – Selected as winner of the "Precision Agriculture Solutions of the Year" award.
- Sustainability Changemaker by SDTC (2022) - Named as one of the companies which recognize homegrown innovation in sustainable technologies in Canada.
- Google Accelerator (2020) – Selected as 1 of 9 companies for the inaugural Google for Startups Accelerator Canada cohort, who are all using technology to solve complex challenges.
One of our partners produced this short video which shows what we do and our positive environmental impact.
We know our journey is only achievable by having a great team who shares ideas, tries new things and learns as we go.
Who you are:
As an experienced CEO of global Agtech companies, you can set a clear strategic vision and are a values and people-focused leader who can empower the whole organization. You are an experienced agricultural leader with knowledge in the technology industry, leading and scaling businesses, optimizing operations, and identifying growth opportunities. You have a proven track record in generating strong revenue growth in businesses with revenues above $100M USD.
What you will do:
- Develop and execute strategic plans to drive significant revenue and asset value growth while maintaining the company’s reputation as a leader in the industry;
- Develop the organization’s operational and financial plan, in accordance with the strategic direction and long-range plan;
- Lead business operations and drive the strategy to generate new sources of revenue through partnerships;
- Oversee all operations and business activities to ensure they produce the desired results and are consistent with the overall strategy and mission;
- Manage the organization’s financial resources, including the development and control of the annual operating budget for Board approval;
- Ensure the effective utilization of the organization’s fiscal resources and appropriate financing and funding to meet the organization’s needs;
- Provide the Board with regular financial, operating and project reports, communicating progress toward annual and long-term goals, as well as emerging issues or opportunities;
- Lead regularly scheduled meetings with all executives to review capital, operations and human resources matters; communicate expectations and receive input from employees while also advising on policy or procedure changes;
- Develop and implement effective business systems of communication throughout the organization;
- Establish an effective internal organizational structure focused on successfully aligning internal human resources objectives through leadership practices and behaviours that engage, motivate, and inspire other;.
- Ensure human resources and operational objectives contribute to the realization of the vision, mission, goals and objectives of the organization as defined in the strategic plan;
- This role is based out of Vancouver, Canada with 25% travel - primarily USA and Australia.
We want you to succeed, so you will need:
- Global senior executive experience as both CEO and COO, with experience in agriculture technology, software development, data services, and data-driven decision support systems;
- Understanding of agricultural inputs, optimization, compliance and sustainability;
- Network of agriculture retailers and experience in channel partner program management;
- Significant experience in business acceleration, turnarounds, integrations, and mergers and acquisitions;
- Track record of setting and achieving annual business plan objectives and driving operational excellence;
- Experience in generating revenue growth in a business with revenues above $100M USD in the US, Canada, and Australia (and ideally the EU);
- Strong strategic planning and product development background;
- Proven ability to build high-performing teams, setting clear objectives, and holding individual team members accountable to expectations;
- Successfully implemented business systems and data-driven processes to ensure operational excellence in execution of strategy;
- Track record of reporting to Boards and/or Group Executives;
- University degree in business administration, commerce, technology or related degree;
- Professional English written and oral communication skills;
Nice to have:
- Experience with an exit event via strategic sale of company and/or IPO;
- Fundraising / financing experience;
- Insect Mating Disruption, Plant Stress Monitorings and Disease Management;
- Climate monitoring, water and frost control;
- Wireless networks;
- Field services and work order management;
- Third party integrations;
- We offer a competitive salary based on experience and knowledge of the industry, bonus and stock options;
- Benefits package: Health, Dental, 10 flex days, 3 weeks vacation, employee assistance program, health spending account, and RRSP matching program;
- Opportunity to make a global impact by working on sustainable food production;
Please apply via the company website: Semios.com/careers
Work Location: 22 E 5th Ave, Suite 300, Vancouver, BC V5T 1G8. Semios has offices in Vancouver, across the USA and Australia.
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From $300,000.00 per year plus bonus
Semios welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish and we welcome everyone.
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. This position is open to those legally able to work in Canada.