Credit Risk Analyst
Helcim is searching for a talented and passionate Credit Risk Analyst to join us on our mission to become the world’s most loved payments company.
As our Credit Risk Analyst, you will focus on refining our credit risk frameworks, processes and guidelines with the goal of minimizing our exposures associated with both new customer onboarding as well as ongoing monitoring/rolling underwriting with our established customers. The challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to help us develop the aforementioned credit framework that manages our credit risk at scale while preserving a quality, human focused experience that encourages our customers to grow with us.
This is an exciting opportunity to become an integral part of the risk management team at a high-growth fintech company changing the payments landscape. You will use your knowledge of SMB credit risk to help inform our credit decisions, build our credit processes, and work with our talented developers to create underwriting models for machine based decision making. You’ll help with account credit reviews and create workflows that guide our Trust and Safety team through credit risk mitigation processes in their day-to-day work.
In this role you will meld your commercial credit expertise with real world processes to help us create and run an efficient, seamless, precise financial risk mitigation programme that encourages customer growth while reducing our risk.
What You'll Do
- Create and iterate credit risk models for new customer onboarding as well as rolling credit models for established customers.
- Oversee and conduct day to day customer credit reviews, including review of financial statements, credit reports and corporate entity registrations.
- Develop and iterate Trust and Safety team guidance/workflows for working through credit risk events.
- Devise a list of tools for navigating credit inquiries with at-risk customers.
- Adjust credit models to reflect trends in our processing activity and real world events that could impact the financial health of our customers and mitigate our exposure to those risks.
- Establish close relationships and work with key internal and external partners across product, software development, machine learning, business teams and third party suppliers (data and credit bureaus) to develop strategies for improving and iterating how we manage credit risk.
- Help develop long term plans and a strategy for mitigation of financial risk across our full suite of current and future products.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with organizational, business, strategic, operational, legal, reputation and market risks where applicable.
You are someone who:
- Is obsessed with staying one step ahead in a continuously changing and ambiguous risk environment.
- Curates a broad (local, national, global) financial perspective with a keen desire to relate it back to our credit risk models and mitigation operations.
- Is a creative thinker who considers problems from a customer perspective while being pragmatic and solutions oriented when solving them.
- Loves using data to solve complicated puzzles.
- Has considerable empathy for our customers - typically small and medium business owners - who will take a human-centric approach to help solve problems.
- Self-starter that thrives in fast-paced environment.
- Can use systems thinking to create a unified risk framework alongside our Fraud and Compliance teams.
- Experience and knowledge of commercial credit best practices and tools (including data/credit bureau products) for both business entity verification and credit management, with a proven ability to distill into repeatable, scalable processes.
- An excellent, values-driven decision maker, with strong experience in credit, financial risk modeling and cash flow forecasting.
- The ability to transform business and financial data into a cohesive narrative that outlines potential credit risks and presents dynamic mitigation strategies.
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles and comfort with evaluating financial statements and business models across a range of industries.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, combined with strong interpersonal skills.
- Adept at distilling complicated concepts into understandable workflows and coaching teammates in their use.
- Strong time-management and organizational skills.
- Experience in payments is an asset but not required - if you’re a whiz in credit, we can teach payments.
Helcim is a payments company that gives small and medium sized businesses a better way to accept debit and credit cards. Thousands of merchants across Canada and the US choose Helcim for their payment needs because of our excellent customer service and innovative software solutions. We won the Canada’s Most Admired Award for Corporate Culture in 2021, ranked number 91 on the Globe and Mail’s 2019 list of Canada’s Top 400 Growing Companies, and we have big plans to redefine the payments industry. To accomplish this, we need a talented team of people who are passionate about working in fintech. Learn more about working at Helcim in our culture book The Way of the Helcim.
Culture is hugely important to us - we’re friendly and collaborative, working together to achieve big goals. We focus on hiring determined and passionate individuals, surrounding you with other amazing people, and strive for everyone to help create an environment where you can thrive and make an impact. We invite you to explore our culture book at: https://www.helcim.com/theway/
At Helcim we build teams of engaged, caring and intelligent people. In return we provide an environment where you’ll be excited to come to work each day and tackle challenges with your colleagues. As part of our team you’ll receive amazing benefits including a competitive salary, paid health benefits, stock options and generous vacation time. You’ll also enjoy company provided snacks and team lunches to keep yourself fueled and the opportunity to recharge and connect with your team members at company social events.
We invest a lot of time and energy imagining and creating a company and culture that encourages discussion, the trade of ideas, and the execution of amazing products and services. We’re friendly and collaborative, working together to achieve big goals. If you want to join our team and feel you can contribute to the growth and success of our company - we want to hear from you!
Join Our Team
If you would like to be considered for this position, please submit your Resume and Cover Letter through the "Apply for this Job" button at the link below.
Candidates must also be eligible to work in Canada. Helcim uses a hybrid work structure where team members can work 3 days in the Calgary office and 2 days at home.