Creative Director (Focused on Design Execution)
Helcim is seeking a passionate, execution-focused Creative Director to lead, manage, and develop our Brand Design Team. This is a unique opportunity at the intersection of the Design and Marketing functions at an exciting, brand-led company. We’re looking for somebody who has a passion for synthesizing excellent design execution with top-tier creative direction to produce world-class, engaging work through a team of talented designers and creative artists.
With Helcim, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career at an exciting, culture-driven company that values design, creativity, and storytelling.
What you will do:
- Lead, manage, develop, and work within a diverse team of talented creative individuals and be a point of inspiration for mentorship, technical design execution, and creative excellence.
- Provide a clear, creative vision while supporting the team as they seek out new solutions and techniques to improve creative execution and enhance the technical quality of the output.
- Conceptualize and develop winning creative ideas and lead their execution end-to-end.
- Act as the functional, strategic, and symbolic bridge between Brand Design and Marketing, fostering an environment of inclusivity, flexibility, and collaboration.
- As hands-on working leader, contribute equally to the high-level creative direction as well as the output itself
- Strong experience in building and facilitating brainstorming and collaborative ideation processes
- Create, execute, and oversee quality benchmarks for all creative materials and outcomes.
- Encourage and develop the team toward courageous and purposeful expression of the Helcim brand while adhering to considerations around product function, strategy, timelines, and limitations.
- Proactively engage the team in initiatives and discussions around evolving the Helcim and how it is represented.
- Will diligently and remarkably advocate for the Helcim brand by applying its principles and language across various integrated marketing campaigns, web and email assets, and internal and external communications.
- Working with the Helcim Design team to contribute to and maintain the internal design systems
Who you are:
- You have at least 5 years of demonstrated experience in a design position with at least 2 years spent in a creative leadership role
- You have an impeccable and highly-tuned design sensibility and the ability to apply it across a multitude of mediums (graphic design, print, web, motion, etc.)
- You have the ability to produce excellent creative work both as an individual and through teams of various sizes and compositions.
- You have exceptionally high standards for all elements of aesthetic design, composition, and typography.
- You have an extraordinary knack for end-to-end visual design execution, including branding, copywriting, and presentation skills.
- Extensive experience in building and improving creative processes, making sure small and large campaigns continually develop smoothly and clearly
- You can effectively communicate ideas and design decisions through a strategic business lens.
- You deeply understand how design and marketing converge and how to operate in both worlds.
- You can deliver clear and thoughtful feedback while discerning subjective opinions from good judgment.
- You are an empathetic leader who communicates with kindness and candour.
- You are a highly organized and process-oriented leader who can coordinate work while being accountable to timelines, project managing tools, and stakeholder objectives.
- You are committed to developing your team and maximizing their talent.
- You have strong knowledge of creative tools like Figma and the entire Adobe Suite.
- You possess outstanding written and oral communication skills, functional and creative, which inform everything from your ability to navigate difficult conversations and interpersonal diplomacy to your judgment around typography and copywriting.
Helcim is a payments company that gives small and medium sized businesses a better way to accept debit and credit cards. Thousands of merchants across Canada and the US choose Helcim for their payment needs because of our excellent customer service and innovative software solutions. We won the Canada’s Most Admired Award for Corporate Culture in 2021 and 2022, ranked number 91 on the Globe and Mail’s 2019 list of Canada’s Top 400 Growing Companies, and we have big plans to redefine the payments industry. To accomplish this, we need a talented team of people who are passionate about working in fintech. Learn more about working at Helcim in our culture book The Way of the Helcim.
At Helcim we build teams of engaged, caring and intelligent people. In return we provide an environment where you’ll be excited to come to work each day and tackle challenges with your colleagues. As part of our team you’ll receive amazing benefits including a competitive salary, paid health benefits, stock options and generous vacation time. You’ll also enjoy company provided snacks and team lunches to keep yourself fueled and the opportunity to recharge and connect with your team members at company social events.
We invest a lot of time and energy imagining and creating a company and culture that encourages discussion, the trade of ideas, and the execution of amazing products and services. We’re friendly and collaborative, working together to achieve big goals. If you want to join our team and feel you can contribute to the growth and success of our company - we want to hear from you!
Join Our Team:
If you would like to be considered for this position, please submit your Resume and Cover Letter through the "Apply for this Job" button at the link below.
Candidates must be eligible to work in Canada and be located in Calgary for this position. Helcim uses a hybrid work structure where team members can work 3 days in the Calgary office (Monday/Wednesday/Friday) and 2 days (Tuesday/Thursday) at home.
- Make sure to clearly indicate your contribution in the case studies you present
- All applications that will not include a portfolio of works will not be considered
- All applications form outside Canada will not be considered
- The role requires relocation to Calgary