Staff Software Developer
Helcim is searching for a Staff Software Developer to provide senior technical leadership for our growing software development team and work with other development leaders to accelerate the team’s effectiveness. We're looking for a talented individual with a passion for coding, enjoys learning about the latest technologies, strong problem-solving skills, has great leadership skills, and ultimately is driven by having significant impact.
As a member of our team, you will be working on Helcim’s largest technical challenges and working across multiple teams to improve our tooling, standards, and the overall reliability of our platform. Helcim is a fast-paced, high-demand company and team members must work well under pressure. The ideal candidate will embody our values and culture, and be a steward of The Way of the Helcim (see link below to our culture book).
As a Staff Software Developer it’s your job to recognize strengths and weaknesses where they exist and to take the necessary action proactively to make things better. You’ll lead by example, mentor others, and champion the vision of the company. You will be successful in this role if you are able to work across multiple teams/disciplines, leverage soft power to influence positive business outcomes, and be a great coach and mentor to others.
What you’ll do:
- Take the lead on large, strategic, and complex development initiatives that often cross team boundaries.
- Drive architecture and systems design across multiple domains and take the lead on significant modernization efforts.
- Proactively identify problems that challenge our scale or business direction and. effectively communicate these and support changes to adapt to these challenges.
- Work to enable the wider development team to improve coding standards and best practices around non-functional requirements (e.g. performance, testability, scale, security)
- Be a role model for high engineering standards and proactively sponsor, coach, and mentor developers to meet those standards.
- Contribute to the recruitment of software developers to the team.
- Work in a highly collaborative environment with cross functional teams (Product/DevOps/Stakeholders/Design)
- Build Continuous Integration/Deployment (CI/CD) pipelines through Gitlab to increase automation.
- Identify ways to improve our development processes/tooling and contributing to making them better.
- Participate in the operations of our platform through observability initiatives and participating in the incident response rotation.
Who you are:
- Looking to take your career to the next level by directly impacting multiple teams and the wider development department on an ongoing basis. You’re thrilled about being able to spread your ideas and influence throughout the organization.
- At least seven years of professional software development experience.
- Excited by the opportunity to join a growing & scaling company and the unique challenges that it poses.
- Track record of implementing significant improvements in quality, performance, stability, and scalability of systems.
- A passion for mentoring developers and teaching colleagues.
- Strong technical background in developing web-based products, services, and platforms.
- Experience leading larger technical initiatives that involve multiple developers or teams.
Nice to haves:
- Experience with Kafka and event-driven architecture
- Experience programming with Golang
- Exposure to incident management
- Experience with GCP products such as GKE, Cloud SQL, Cloud Run
Helcim is a payments company that gives small and medium sized businesses a better way to accept debit and credit cards. Thousands of merchants across Canada and the US choose Helcim for their payment needs because of our excellent customer service and innovative software solutions. We won the Canada’s Most Admired Award for Corporate Culture in 2021 and 2022, ranked number 91 on the Globe and Mail’s 2019 list of Canada’s Top 400 Growing Companies, and we have big plans to redefine the payments industry. To accomplish this, we need a talented team of people who are passionate about working in fintech. Learn more about working at Helcim in our culture book The Way of the Helcim.
At Helcim we build teams of engaged, caring and intelligent people. In return we provide an environment where you’ll be excited to come to work each day and tackle challenges with your colleagues. As part of our team you’ll receive amazing benefits including a competitive salary, paid health benefits, stock options and generous vacation time. You’ll also enjoy company provided snacks and team lunches to keep yourself fueled and the opportunity to recharge and connect with your team members at company social events.
We invest a lot of time and energy imagining and creating a company and culture that encourages discussion, the trade of ideas, and the execution of amazing products and services. We’re friendly and collaborative, working together to achieve big goals. If you want to join our team and feel you can contribute to the growth and success of our company - we want to hear from you!
Join Our Team
If you would like to be considered for this position, please submit your Resume and Cover Letter through the "Apply for this Job" button at the link below.
Candidates must be eligible to work in Canada and be located in Calgary for this position. Helcim uses a hybrid work structure where team members can work 3 days in the Calgary office (Monday/Wednesday/Friday) and 2 days (Tuesday/Thursday) at home.