Head of Engagement
Creative Destruction Lab
The Creative Destruction Lab – Rockies at the Haskayne School of Business is currently seeking a Full-time Limited-Term Head, Engagement.
Creative Destruction Lab-Rockies (CDL-Rockies) is a unique cohort-based new venture accelerator program housed at the Haskayne School of Business. CDL-Rockies helps innovators transition from science projects to high-growth companies, inviting some of the world’s top, early-stage deep technology ventures to Calgary for this innovative 9-month mentorship-based program. The CDL program engages senior entrepreneurial leaders as well as leading scientists, engineers, economists, investors and business school students in support of new venture founders to prepare them for seed-stage financing and accelerated growth.
The CDL-Rockies program is structured around four full-day “objective setting sessions” and engages founders with experienced entrepreneurs and investors who set focused, measurable objectives to achieve over fixed timelines. Graduate students from the University of Calgary are actively involved with the founders throughout the program as part of the CDL-Rockies courses, engaging students as consultants and supporters of the venture teams under the guidance and direction of the CDL-Rockies Site Lead.
Reporting to the CDL-Rockies Site Lead, the Head, Engagement role represents CDL-Rockies as part of the campus community as well as an external ambassador, with responsibility for leading fundraising and partnership activities (from cultivation to stewardship). This includes developing appropriate recruitment and renewal strategies for key stakeholder groups, particularly for corporate partners, founding (individual) partners and CDL Mentors. This position is responsible for creating and implementing a long term sustainable funding plan, working closely and collaboratively in a high-performing team. This position must maintain and manage relationships with key stakeholders.
This position is crucial in contributing to the overall success of the Lab and a core member of an experienced leadership team. In addition to the responsibilities articulated above. Similarly, this position will support the Site Lead as required, by identifying new Founding Partners and working collaboratively with UCalgary’s advancement team as required while working with CDL-Global to secure cross-site/national/international partners and sponsors.
CDL-Rockies is a high-priority and high-profile initiative for the Haskayne School Business and the University of Calgary. Program outcomes can be expected to have a significant impact on Haskayne and UCalgary’s public profile and standing in the eyes of Universities, the start-up and technology sector and the general public. CDL-Rockies has committed to ambitious multi-year targets. The successful achievement of these targets will complement and enhance innovation at UCalgary and in the broader community by contributing to regional economic impact.
This is a full-time Fixed Term 1-year position. This position normally works Monday to Friday, 8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M, 7 hours per day (35 hours per week), although extended or alternative hours (evenings and weekends) will be required based on the needs of CDL.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
Partnership & Fund Development
- Develop and execute a fundraising strategy for CDL-Rockies in order to meet annual and long-term funding goals, in collaboration with the CDL-Rockies Site Lead, the Haskayne School of Business advancement team and CDL Global.
- Identify, engage, manage and regularly communicate with University, corporate, individual, government and community partners in support of the CDL Program.
- Effectively communicate information about the CDL-Rockies program to key influencers in the investment, scientific and new venture communities across North America.
- Maintain relationships with existing institutional investors, such as venture capital firms, and attract additional supporters as required to contribute to the success of the CDL program.
- Strategic relationship management including with CDL-Global and other CDL sites, supporting the development of the CDL program and network, focusing on opportunities for CDL-Rockies.
- Maintain CRM and other related tracking systems, calendars and work plans to manage CDL-Rockies’ fund development and mentor recruitment activities.
Recruitment and Relationship Management of Key CDL Stakeholders
- Working with the CDL-Rockies Site Lead, the Head, Engagement supports the ongoing recruitment and relationship management of key supporters and participants of the CDL-Rockies program, specifically CDL’s Partners and Mentors.
- Ongoing outreach to members of the international investment ecosystem to identify potential prospects for various stakeholder roles.
- Ambassador for CDL-Rockies mentor and partner recruitment, responsible for the development and implementation of the mentor and partner recruitment strategy for CDL-Rockies, working collaboratively with CDL-Global and CDL sites, as required.
Education & Experience
- Master of Business Administration Degree or equivalent required
- Demonstrated success in fundraising, partnership development, relationship management and/or sales required
- 10+ years experience working in the entrepreneurship ecosystem required and/or experience working as a startup founder, a senior contributor to a new venture team or as a consultant/advisor to startup company
- 10+ years experience cultivating relationships with key business and community leaders
- The ability to readily establish trust and credibility while communicating with senior business leaders up to C-Suite level executives
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking skills required
- Passion to consistently meet or exceed performance objectives required
- Strong, team-oriented, work ethic with willingness and ability to work independently and autonomously
- Experience and confidence working with senior executives, leaders and investors required
- Highly motivated with commitment and passion in all aspects of business development and relationship management
- Previous success operating at a senior professional level within a university environment an asset
- Ability to handle ambiguity and work effectively in a large, complex, dynamic, and sophisticated organization.
- Demonstrated professionalism, tact, and maturity in handling highly sensitive and confidential information ethically and with discretion.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Application Deadline: March 24, 2023
About the University of Calgary:
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines.
The University of Calgary has launched an institution-wide Indigenous Strategy in line with the foundational goals of Eyes High, committing to creating a rich, vibrant and culturally competent campus that welcomes and supports Indigenous Peoples, encourages Indigenous community partnerships, is inclusive of Indigenous perspectives in all that we do.
We encourage all qualified applicants to apply; however, preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. The University strongly recommends all faculty and staff are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Something looks off?