What’s Bench? Visit Bench's latest news to see what's happening, and read what our customers have to say. You can also check us out in Medium, on our LinkedIn page, our Instagram, and our Life at Bench Blog.
We acknowledge that Bench was founded on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between managing their books and running their businesses.
Our mission is to help every business owner thrive, by providing financial insight and peace of mind in one seamless platform. From creatives to chiropractors, Bench helps thousands of small business owners and entrepreneurs master their financial lives. Because understanding your finances should be three things: simple, effortless, and affordable.
We’re growing fast, and we’re looking for exceptional people to join us on this incredible journey. Check out our culture guide to learn more about what it’s like to work at Bench and read more about our business here!
What does the Retro Sales department look like?
Are you passionate about providing an excellent client experience and love problem solving? Do you enjoy experimenting and iterating with what can be done even better? Being a member of the Retro Sales team is a unique experience with rewarding challenges, which calls for exceptional team members!
As an Account Executive, yourself and our team will be laser focused on client experience and ensuring our clients are set up for success with their businesses historical bookkeeping and tax filing needs. You’ll be a key part in bringing on new large scope “catch-up” clients (businesses who are late on their tax filings anywhere from 2+ years onward), collaborating on new initiatives, as well as directly contributing to Bench’s profitability goals.
What you’ll get up to:
- Make prospective clients feel seen/heard by using emotionally based sales skills centered around empathy.
- Discover and deeply understand prospective clients' business needs, reasons for being behind on their bookkeeping and taxes, and walk them through the foundation of proper bookkeeping and tax compliance, short and long term.
- Quickly build and establish strong client and team relationships.
- Qualify prospective clients to ensure Bench is the right fit for their historical and possibly on-going bookkeeping needs.
- Learn, understand, and teach prospective clients the IRS and Tax Resolution world. Ie. What happens when you don’t file your taxes as a US business owner
- Walk prospective clients through the Bench application and their completed Bench financial statements.
- Take detailed notes on our CRM about the clients needs, previous accounting history and payment information.
- Creating a billing model and structure that works for our clients through payment plans.
- There is some opportunity to up-sell existing clients with additional catch-up bookkeeping, and refer the client to all relevant tax professional partner services.
- Meet and exceed individual expectations which include a daily call target ~30 call/day, timely responses via email, Slack and phone, pipeline management, monthly conversion and revenue targets.
What you'll need:
- 1+ years of experience as a Sales Development Representative or other related sales role, with a proven track record of high performance.
- Strong proficiency in the English language, verbal and written.
- Take risks: When an idea is new and unknown, you’re not afraid to experiment and/or fail, learn, and iterate.
- Ability to create an exceptional team culture: You inspire team members you engage with to consistently achieve greatness.
- To be comfortable talking about emotions and difficult topics/situations.
- Ability to confidently use and leverage all softwares in your day-to-day workflow (Salesforce, SalesLoft, Slack, Ring Central, G Suite, etc.)
- Understanding of individual and team targets and the various levers to achieve these goals.
- To be comfortable in sharing your knowledge. Consistently working to help other team members level up and develop their sales-related skills.
- To give and take constructive feedback well and be able to immediately apply it to your workflow.
- Accountability for consistently managing your pipeline and performance and ability to problem solve and prioritize your workload in relation to your role and mentor others.
It could be an even better fit if you:
- Have Bookkeeping & Tax knowledge - We work with both new and current clients of Bench to catch up, file, and untangle their situations so they can move in to or continue to be successful in our on-going services.
- Have closing experience in a SaaS Sales environment.
- Are fluent in Spanish!
What you'll get:
- At Bench, we share information freely and openly whenever possible. All Account Executives joining the team will start with on-target earnings (OTE) of $79,000; most reps are outperforming these on-target earnings.
- A component of these earnings is made up of variable pay which is uncapped. This means that there is no limit to your performance and thus your earnings.
- In addition, we offer an extended benefits package that includes paid vacation, paid flex days, stock options, and full health, dental, and vision.
- You’ll get unlimited access to Bravely, our confidential, on-demand, 1:1 professional coaching service, and access to Inkblot Therapy, our virtual counselling service to support mental wellbeing and coaching for many of life’s challenges.
- You will have the support of your manager, and the opportunity to learn and develop with a team of unconventional & diverse Benchmates, who are all working together to achieve the same mission.
- We have a number of Affinity Groups - groups of people who have shared identities and experiences! The purpose of these groups is to support underrepresented Benchmates and amplify their voices.
- As this is a hybrid opportunity, you will have the opportunity to work in our downtown office location 2-3 days a week and from home the rest of the time!
- You’ll also have access to our Home Office Setup Fund to ensure that you have everything you need to work comfortably when you are at home, from day one.
- You’ll have the opportunity to work from somewhere other than your home province for up to 3 months, within a 12 month period.
Everyone has their own unique talents. Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you’d be a great fit for this role in your application.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. If you are selected for an interview and require support during the process, including disability accommodation, we'll give you the opportunity to tell us when we contact you.