Legal Counsel, Employment
United States · Canada · Remote
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2024
We all have important information we need to manage, and protecting it should be easy. Over 100,000 businesses and millions of people log in to 1Password to unlock smart, simple access to everything they care about. Our vision is to create a safer, simpler digital future for everyone, and our culture values simplicity, honesty and a human-centric approach to solving problems. Come help us unlock peace of mind so everyone can stay safer online.
We are seeking a lawyer to join our in-house legal team as Legal Counsel, Employment, providing legal support and advice on a wide range of employment law matters involving employees in Canada, USA, UK, and Europe.
Reporting to our Assistant General Counsel, you will be working closely with the Corporate Legal team, the HR team, and other stakeholders throughout our organization.
This is a Remote opportunity within Canada and the U.S., though some travel may be required from time to time.
What we're looking for:
- 3 to 5 years’ experience practicing as an employment lawyer at a law firm or in-house (or a combination).
- A J.D. or LL.B. from an accredited law school and a license to practice law in your jurisdiction.
- Deep knowledge of US, Canadian and EU employment laws.
- Experience handling wrongful/unjust dismissal claims, severance/reasonable notice issues, human rights issues including accommodation, accessibility matters, short- and long-term disability leaves and benefits, performance management and discipline of employees, internal investigations, employee privacy, wage issues including sales incentives and overtime.
- Experience with employment contracts and executive compensation, pay equity and employment equity.
- Experience drafting corporate policies and other HR documents.
- Experience with employment issues arising from corporate transactions and reorganizations; and cross-border and international employment matters.
- Experience in labour arbitrations, and/or administrative tribunals would be considered an asset.
- Experience in a highly-distributed work environment with an ability to work with representatives from all parts and levels of the business, of all levels, and across multiple time zones.
- Strong writing skills, with the ability to match your tone to your audience and write plainly and concisely.
- Ability to work unsupervised, exercise independent judgment and discretion, and manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Excellent legal and analytical skills, with the ability to communicate and explain complex legal concepts in simple terms and provide practical, business-friendly guidance and actionable advice.
What you can expect:
- Collaborate with the HR team and other stakeholders to ensure compliance with employment laws and regulations.
- Conduct legal research, analyze complex legal issues, and provide clear and practical legal advice.
- Draft and review legal documents, including employment contracts, policies, and other related agreements.
- Stay updated on changes in employment laws and regulations and provide proactive advice to mitigate legal risks.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal clients and external stakeholders.
Please address your cover letter to Lyndsey and include a short description of your skills and experience, highlighting any other superpowers, legal or otherwise, that make you the right person for this opportunity. As part of your application, without breaching confidentiality, please tell us about the most difficult employment issue you’ve encountered, and how you dealt with it (or how you would have dealt with it if your client didn’t end up taking your advice). Please limit your answer to a few paragraphs, at maximum.
USA-based roles only: The Annual base salary for this role is between $152,000 USD and $206,000 USD, plus immediate participation in 1Password's benefits program (health, dental, 401k and many others), utilization of our generous paid time off, an equity grant and, where applicable, participation in our incentive programs.
Canada-based roles only: The Annual base salary for this role is between $128,000 CAD and $173,000 CAD, plus immediate participation in 1Password’s generous benefits program (health, dental, RRSP and many others), utilization of our generous paid time off, an equity grant and, where applicable, participation in our incentive programs.
At 1Password, we approach each individual's compensation with a promise of fair market value and internal equity commensurate with experience and specific skill set.
What we offer:
We believe in working hard, and resting hard. We’re always looking for new ways to support our team members, but here’s a glance at what we currently offer:
Health and wellbeing
> 👶 Maternity and parental leave top up programs
> 👟 Wellness spending account
> 🏝 Generous PTO policy
> 💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
> 🧠 Wellness Coach membership
> 🩺 Comprehensive health coverage
Growth and future
> 📈 Employee stock option program for all full time employees
> 💸 Retirement matching program
> 💡 Training budget, 1Password University access, and learning sessions
> 🔑 Free 1Password account (and friends and family discount!)
Flexibility and community
> 🤝 Paid volunteer days
> 🌎 Employee-led DEI&B programs and ERGs
> 🏠 Fully remote environment
> 🏆 Peer-to-peer recognition through Bonusly
You belong here.
1Password is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and equitable workplace that is built on trust, support and respect. We welcome all individuals and do not discriminate on the basis of gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, sex, citizenship, education, languages spoken or veteran status. Be yourself, find your people and share the things you love.
Accommodation is available upon request at any point during our recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please speak to your talent acquisition partner or email us at email@example.com and we’ll work to meet your needs.
Remote work is a part of our DNA. Given that our company was founded remotely in 2005, we can safely say we're experts at building remote culture. That said, remote work at 1Password does mean working from your home country. If you've got questions or concerns about this your Talent Partner would be happy to address them with you.
Successful applicants will be required to complete a background check that may consist of prior employment verification, reference checks, education confirmation, criminal background, publicly available social media, credit history, or other information, as permitted by local law.
Candidate Privacy Notice
When you apply for a position, refer a candidate, or are being considered for a role at AgileBits, Inc. (dba 1Password, 1Password, we, us, or our), your information is stored in Lever, in accordance with Lever's Service Privacy Notice. We use this information to evaluate your candidacy for the posted position. We also store this information, and may use it in relation to future positions to which you apply, or which we believe may be relevant to you given your background.
Candidates may also optionally choose to self-identify their race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, and disability. These answers will help us evaluate our diversity and belonging efforts. You do not have to answer these questions—your answers will not be linked to your name or job application, will not be visible to the hiring manager reviewing your application, and will in no way affect your job application. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information, please contact [firstname.lastname@example.org].
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your information, we will either delete or anonymize it. If you have any questions about how we use or process your information, or if you would like to ask to access, correct, or delete your information, please contact our privacy team at [email@example.com] or through 1Password Support.