Staff Developer, Authentication & Identity
United States · Canada · Remote
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2023
We all have important information we need to manage, and protecting it should be easy. Over 100,000 businesses and millions of people log in to 1Password to unlock smart, simple access to everything they care about. Our vision is to create a safer, simpler digital future for everyone, and our culture values simplicity, honesty and a human-centric approach to solving problems. Come help us unlock peace of mind so everyone can stay safer online.
We are excited to invite two Staff Developers to join our Authentication Team and Identity Team. In this critical role, you'll be instrumental in shaping the architecture and evolution of our authentication systems within 1Password. Your leadership will directly influence our strategic direction, maintaining alignment with our overarching business goals while pioneering advanced authentication technologies and best practices in coding, testing, and deployment.
This role is not just about technical expertise; it's about collaboration, creativity, and the willingness to learn and grow together. You will play a key role in shaping the architecture and evolution of our authentication systems, aligning with our business goals while embracing advanced authentication technologies.
The Authentication team focuses on enabling people to safely and easily unlock 1Password. We want to provide safe, simple means for people to manage their authentication experiences for themselves, their families, and their businesses.
The Identity team is focused on building better identity and access management capabilities for our business customers and disrupting the IAM industry. We want to provide safe, simple means for people to manage their authentication experiences for themselves, their families, and their businesses.
This is a remote opportunity within Canada and the US.
What we're looking for:
- Demonstrate deep expertise in system architecture, software development, product management and emerging technologies, especially as part of a product development team. Stay informed of industry trends and leverage this knowledge in strategic planning.
- Own our technical roadmap and support our team in setting and meeting quality standards, through hands-on leadership and building strong relationships across partners throughout the company.
- Set and pursue technical goals for the team. Drive projects to completion, ensuring they meet quality standards, deadlines, and deliverables.
- Lead with empathy and understanding, inspiring people through collaboration and shared success.
- Exhibit excellent hands-on leadership qualities, including the ability to motivate, guide, and inspire teams. Show a track record of leading successful engineering projects.
- Communicate complex technical concepts clearly to both technical and non-technical stakeholders. Influence strategy at various levels within the organization. Create and review proposals for new technologies through RFD’s.
- Show adeptness in identifying, understanding, and solving complex technical problems. Foster a culture of innovation and continuous improvement.
- Demonstrated experience in implementing security best practices and mitigating common security vulnerabilities associated with authentication processes.
- Eagerness to stay updated with the latest developments in these technologies and adapt to new tools and practices as they emerge.
What you can expect:
- Inspire engineering efforts, ideating and implementing new solutions and technologies. Drive the adoption of best practices in coding, testing, and deployment.
- Spearhead the development of secure authentication systems, ensuring the highest level of security and compliance with industry standards like OAuth, OpenID Connect (OIDC), SAML, SCIM, WebAuthn, etc.
- Stay informed of the implementation of cutting-edge authentication technologies and methodologies, such as biometrics, multi-factor authentication, and risk-based authentication.
- Shape the technical direction and strategy of projects, ensuring alignment with broader business goals. Influence product roadmaps and contribute to long-term planning.
- Develop a culture of excellence and continuous learning within the team. Mentor engineers at different stages of their careers, fostering skill development and career growth.
- Lift others by example in collaborative work with cross-functional stakeholders. Ensure efficient and effective communication between team members and stakeholders. Facilitate meetings and decision-making processes.
- Tackle complex technical problems and anticipate potential roadblocks, offering creative and efficient solutions. Encourage a proactive approach to problem-solving within the team.
- Design authentication systems with a focus on user experience, ensuring that security measures do not impede usability.
Bonus points for:
- Advanced skills and experience in some of the languages used by our team, such as Go, Rust, TypeScript, Kotlin, and Swift.
- Familiarity with developing client applications, particularly for platforms like iOS and Android. Understanding of the unique security and authentication problems associated with mobile app development.
USA-based roles only: The Annual base salary for this role is between $180,000 USD and $244,000 USD, plus immediate participation in 1Password's benefits program (health, dental, 401k and many others), utilization of our generous paid time off, an equity grant and, where applicable, participation in our incentive programs.
Canada-based roles only: The Annual base salary for this role is between $168,000 CAD and $228,000 CAD, plus immediate participation in 1Password’s generous benefits program (health, dental, RRSP and many others), utilization of our generous paid time off, an equity grant and, where applicable, participation in our incentive programs.
At 1Password, we approach each individual's compensation with a promise of fair market value and internal equity commensurate with experience and specific skill set.
What we offer:
We believe in working hard, and resting hard. We’re always looking for new ways to support our team members, but here’s a glance at what we currently offer:
Health and wellbeing
> 👶 Maternity and parental leave top up programs
> 👟 Wellness spending account
> 🏝 Generous PTO policy
> 💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
> 🧠 Wellness Coach membership
> 🩺 Comprehensive health coverage
Growth and future
> 📈 Employee stock option program for all full time employees
> 💸 Retirement matching program
> 💡 Training budget, 1Password University access, and learning sessions
> 🔑 Free 1Password account (and friends and family discount!)
Flexibility and community
> 🤝 Paid volunteer days
> 🌎 Employee-led DEI&B programs and ERGs
> 🏠 Fully remote environment
> 🏆 Peer-to-peer recognition through Bonusly
You belong here.
1Password is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and equitable workplace that is built on trust, support and respect. We welcome all individuals and do not discriminate on the basis of gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, sex, citizenship, education, languages spoken or veteran status. Be yourself, find your people and share the things you love.
Accommodation is available upon request at any point during our recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please speak to your talent acquisition partner or email us at email@example.com and we’ll work to meet your needs.
Remote work is a part of our DNA. Given that our company was founded remotely in 2005, we can safely say we're experts at building remote culture. That said, remote work at 1Password does mean working from your home country. If you've got questions or concerns about this your Talent Partner would be happy to address them with you.
Successful applicants will be required to complete a background check that may consist of prior employment verification, reference checks, education confirmation, criminal background, publicly available social media, credit history, or other information, as permitted by local law.
Candidate Privacy Notice
When you apply for a position, refer a candidate, or are being considered for a role at AgileBits, Inc. (dba 1Password, 1Password, we, us, or our), your information is stored in Lever, in accordance with Lever's Service Privacy Notice. We use this information to evaluate your candidacy for the posted position. We also store this information, and may use it in relation to future positions to which you apply, or which we believe may be relevant to you given your background.
Candidates may also optionally choose to self-identify their race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, and disability. These answers will help us evaluate our diversity and belonging efforts. You do not have to answer these questions—your answers will not be linked to your name or job application, will not be visible to the hiring manager reviewing your application, and will in no way affect your job application. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information, please contact [firstname.lastname@example.org].
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your information, we will either delete or anonymize it. If you have any questions about how we use or process your information, or if you would like to ask to access, correct, or delete your information, please contact our privacy team at [email@example.com] or through 1Password Support.