Senior Pricing and Packaging Director
United States · Canada · Remote
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2023
We all have important information we need to manage, and protecting it should be easy. Over 100,000 businesses and millions of people log in to 1Password to unlock smart, simple access to everything they care about. Our vision is to create a safer, simpler digital future for everyone, and our culture values simplicity, honesty and a human-centric approach to solving problems. Come help us unlock peace of mind so everyone can stay safer online.
We’re looking for a Senior Pricing and Packaging Director who has a strong SaaS pricing background, a firm grasp of value based pricing, understands how to achieve growth objectives through pricing strategy, and is adept at leading, influencing, and inspiring collaboration across cross-functional teams. In this role, you will partner directly with GTM Leadership, Marketing, Product Marketing, Product Management, and Finance to help define and deliver the next generation of pricing and packaging for 1Password’s product portfolio.
You will be accountable for developing and executing pricing strategies for new and existing products, designing new packaging options and customer upgrade paths, and evaluating pricing performance. You will be responsible for establishing the optimal features of each package. You will develop the price and discount curves for our growing portfolio of products, accounting for external factors such as customer and competitor behavior, market trends, and internal factors such as COGS and margin goals. Your primary measures of success will be ARR maximization, customer lifetime value optimization, and margin attainment.
You will thrive at 1Password if you have a thirst to win and see pricing and packaging as a strategic tool in our GTM toolkit. The scope of this role traverses a broad range of customer segments – from large enterprises, mid-sized and small businesses to individual consumers. Mastery of SaaS pricing models, exceptional analytical skills, and a track record of driving and executing upon successful monetization strategies across a diverse array of segments, industries, and regions is a non-negotiable requirement for this role.
This is a remote opportunity within Canada and the US with occasional travel required.
What we're looking for:
- 15+ years in pricing, strategy, finance, or a combination of relevant functions with in-depth knowledge of SaaS business models and subscription pricing.
- Hands-on experience with proven impact developing pricing and packaging strategies that maximize revenue and profitability across new and existing products, and across a range of customer segments.
- Experience across North America, EMEA, and APJ markets and with direct-to-consumer, PLG and sales-driven GTM motions.
- Deep experience working with finance teams to develop financial models that evaluate product margins and the impact of pricing changes on ARR and LTV.
- Exceptional analytical skills and comfort working with quantitative and qualitative analyses, financial modeling, sensitivity analyses, pricing studies, and pricing research.
- Excellent business acumen to evaluate and analyze key business drivers, risks and opportunities.
- Strong collaborator able to influence cross-functional teams and leverage partners across product, marketing, sales, finance, and data to execute the work that activates the pricing and packaging strategy.
- Effective communicator that can drive a clear narrative on pricing analyses and recommendations for an executive leadership audience, building consensus and resolving conflict across all levels of the organization.
- A strategist and operator that can translate strategy into actionable plans, and also guide a team to efficiently execute on those plans in an ambiguous and high-growth environment.
- Growth mindset that continuously evaluates and refines approaches based on feedback to ultimately maximize impact and effectiveness for the business, customers and the people you work with.
What you can expect:
- Collaborate closely with senior leadership to create pricing and packaging strategies that unlock significant incremental new business and expansion ARR growth.
- Identify and understand customer value drivers through market research, segmentation, and customer willingness to pay.
- Lead the collection and analysis of market data, industry trends, and pricing competitive intelligence to inform strategic decision-making and go-to-market strategies.
- Refine pricing and packaging models for new and existing products aligned with 1Password growth and profitability goals.
- Lead the repackaging of the B2B offering with multi-tier packaging to capture value up and down the market.
- Partner with product marketing to create the packaging and pricing for new products during the new product launch process. Assess market and customer price sensitivity, competitor pricing, and 1Password financial objectives in new and adjacent categories to establish initial pricing, and test pricing post-launch.
- Develop the pricing strategy to support the sales of our core products through distributors, resellers, and MSPs in North America, EMEA, and APJ.
- Create pricing and packaging options for monetizing advanced support and/or professional services offerings.
- Evaluate opportunities to lower or raise pricing in B2C and B2B offers to maximize market share capture and customer lifetime value.
- Partner with product and technology teams to simplify and improve the efficiencies of product-led growth (PLG) self-service renewal motion, incentivizing upgrades to the next product tier and optimizing renewal rates.
- Develop a programmatic promotions framework in partnership with GTM, and then deliver promotions to accelerate and unblock new business pipeline, incentivize expansion and renewals, and make it simple for current customers to adopt new products when launched.
- Formalize pricing operations and establish durable pricing guidelines and a governance model. Deliver a method to experiment with pricing or packaging over time.
- Assess operational and alignment issues with historical and current pricing and packaging, develop a roadmap to reduce the ‘legacy pricing and packaging debt’ over time, then prioritize and execute the work.
- Iterate and optimize the portfolio of product and services packages to complement additions and enhancements to the product suite in order to ensure customers are successful throughout their lifecycle.
- Deliver regular updates to executive leadership, offering actionable proposals and recommendations based on market intelligence, competitive intelligence and Voice of Customer insights.
- Train organization on new pricing and packaging through direct participation in Billing and Revenue Operations team meetings, GTM enablement sessions, and town hall meeting presentations.
- Act as the primary point of contact for all pricing questions for cross functional teams, partners and analysts.
USA-based roles only: The Annual base salary for this role is between $203,000 USD and $275,000 USD, plus immediate participation in 1Password's benefits program (health, dental, 401k and many others), utilization of our generous paid time off, an equity grant and, where applicable, participation in our incentive programs.
Canada-based roles only: The Annual base salary for this role is between $199,000 CAD and $269,000 CAD, plus immediate participation in 1Password’s generous benefits program (health, dental, RRSP and many others), utilization of our generous paid time off, an equity grant and, where applicable, participation in our incentive programs.
At 1Password, we approach each individual's compensation with a promise of fair market value and internal equity commensurate with experience and specific skill set.
What we offer:
We believe in working hard, and resting hard. We’re always looking for new ways to support our team members, but here’s a glance at what we currently offer:
Health and wellbeing
> 👶 Maternity and parental leave top up programs
> 👟 Wellness spending account
> 🏝 Generous PTO policy
> 💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
> 🧠 Wellness Coach membership
> 🩺 Comprehensive health coverage
Growth and future
> 📈 Employee stock option program for all full time employees
> 💸 Retirement matching program
> 💡 Training budget, 1Password University access, and learning sessions
> 🔑 Free 1Password account (and friends and family discount!)
Flexibility and community
> 🤝 Paid volunteer days
> 🌎 Employee-led DEI&B programs and ERGs
> 🏠 Fully remote environment
> 🏆 Peer-to-peer recognition through Bonusly
You belong here.
1Password is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and equitable workplace that is built on trust, support and respect. We welcome all individuals and do not discriminate on the basis of gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, sex, citizenship, education, languages spoken or veteran status. Be yourself, find your people and share the things you love.
Accommodation is available upon request at any point during our recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please speak to your talent acquisition partner or email us at email@example.com and we’ll work to meet your needs.
Remote work is a part of our DNA. Given that our company was founded remotely in 2005, we can safely say we're experts at building remote culture. That said, remote work at 1Password does mean working from your home country. If you've got questions or concerns about this your Talent Partner would be happy to address them with you.
Successful applicants will be required to complete a background check that may consist of prior employment verification, reference checks, education confirmation, criminal background, publicly available social media, credit history, or other information, as permitted by local law.
Candidate Privacy Notice
When you apply for a position, refer a candidate, or are being considered for a role at AgileBits, Inc. (dba 1Password, 1Password, we, us, or our), your information is stored in Lever, in accordance with Lever's Service Privacy Notice. We use this information to evaluate your candidacy for the posted position. We also store this information, and may use it in relation to future positions to which you apply, or which we believe may be relevant to you given your background.
Candidates may also optionally choose to self-identify their race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, and disability. These answers will help us evaluate our diversity and belonging efforts. You do not have to answer these questions—your answers will not be linked to your name or job application, will not be visible to the hiring manager reviewing your application, and will in no way affect your job application. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information, please contact [firstname.lastname@example.org].
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your information, we will either delete or anonymize it. If you have any questions about how we use or process your information, or if you would like to ask to access, correct, or delete your information, please contact our privacy team at [email@example.com] or through 1Password Support.