Staff Test Automation Developer
Software Engineering, Quality Assurance
United States · Canada · Remote
Posted on Thursday, November 2, 2023
We all have important information we need to manage, and protecting it should be easy. Over 100,000 businesses and millions of people log in to 1Password to unlock smart, simple access to everything they care about. Our vision is to create a safer, simpler digital future for everyone, and our culture values simplicity, honesty and a human-centric approach to solving problems. Come help us unlock peace of mind so everyone can stay safer online.
The 1Password.com QA team helps our development team test and release the best possible software. Through manual testing, helping increase coverage of automated testing, and investigating and reproducing bugs and usability issues, our team plays a critical role in making 1Password the world's most-loved password manager.
We are looking for a Staff Test Automation Developer to lead the strategy and partnerships across the company to ensure that our products deliver to meet our customers needs. This person exhibits high standards in identifying technical/process improvements, defines the technical roadmap and quarterly initiatives to deliver scalable solutions and achieve organizational objectives. They are responsible for the architecture, design and implementation of various forms of automated test frameworks and solving complex technical issues across 1Password test code. They lead/mentor other Developers and work side by side with area leaders to improve overall software quality and recommend opportunities for improvement.
An ever-increasing number of individuals, families, and businesses are using 1Password every day, and 1Password needs to scale accordingly. Come help us build the backbone of 1Password!
What we're looking for:
- Demonstrated experience building advanced level tests and architectures from scratch without an existing framework and improving frameworks developed by others.
- Experience building automation frameworks for Web/API/Desktop/Mobile using open source frameworks like Playwright, Cypress, React Testing Library, WebdriverIO, Espresso, XCUITest, or Appium.
- Proficient at writing complex SQL queries.
- Experience testing APIs.
- Advanced communication skills and ability to teach others about test automation, including the ability to strategically drive internal communications and trainings.
- Advanced knowledge of software testing best practices and skills to champion change management.
- Familiar with testing and developing others to test across multiple platforms including web, mobile, desktop, and browser extensions.
- Familiarity with third-party tools used by the 1Password service, such as Stripe, SCIM, Okta (or other enterprise identity providers), and tools like GitLab and Docker.
- Experience setting the direction for software quality and measuring progress at the platform level.
What you can expect:
- Lead efforts to design test automation strategy and contribute to building tools, frameworks, or any infrastructure required. Identify opportunities for test architecture and implementation that can be reused by multiple teams.
- Champion implementation of advanced forms of full stack test strategy and develop test automation frameworks/tools across multiple platforms. Initiate technical design sessions and write technical design documents for any proposed implementations.
- Drive implementation of new test frameworks, methodologies, and industry best practices to establish high code quality across 1Password.
- Provide insights on how to improve product quality, reliability, and stability through a data-informed approach. Drive quality initiatives across multiple functional and organizational areas. Responsible for establishing and improving standards for quality awareness across 1Password.
- Proactively manage test pipelines, respond to triage rotations, addressing quarantined flaky tests, guiding developers on debugging root causes of test failure and introducing stable tests back to the pipeline.
- Identify and lead strategic technical initiatives, OKRs or projects across multiple functions or across the organization.
- Program at an advanced level in tech stacks used at 1Password. Recommend, develop, design and maintain test automation frameworks and tools for 1Password’s multi stack technologies.
USA-based roles only: The Annual salary for this role is between $162,000 USD and $219,000 USD, plus immediate participation in 1Password's benefits program (health, dental, 401k and many others), utilization of our generous paid time off, an equity grant and, where applicable, participation in our incentive programs.
Canada-based roles only: The Annual salary for this role is between $146,000 CAD and $198,000 CAD, plus immediate participation in 1Password’s generous benefits program (health, dental, RRSP and many others), utilization of our generous paid time off, an equity grant and, where applicable, participation in our incentive programs.
At 1Password, we approach each individual's compensation with a promise of fair market value and internal equity commensurate with experience and specific skill set.
What we offer:
We believe in working hard, and resting hard. We’re always looking for new ways to support our team members, but here’s a glance at what we currently offer:
Health and wellbeing
> 👶 Maternity and parental leave top up programs
> 👟 Wellness spending account
> 🏝 Generous PTO policy
> 💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
> 🧠 Wellness Coach membership
> 🩺 Comprehensive health coverage
Growth and future
> 📈 Employee stock option program for all full time employees
> 💸 Retirement matching program
> 💡 Training budget, 1Password University access, and learning sessions
> 🔑 Free 1Password account (and friends and family discount!)
Flexibility and community
> 🤝 Paid volunteer days
> 🌎 Employee-led DEI&B programs and ERGs
> 🏠 Fully remote environment
> 🏆 Peer-to-peer recognition through Bonusly
You belong here.
1Password is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and equitable workplace that is built on trust, support and respect. We welcome all individuals and do not discriminate on the basis of gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, sex, citizenship, education, languages spoken or veteran status. Be yourself, find your people and share the things you love.
Accommodation is available upon request at any point during our recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please speak to your talent acquisition partner or email us at email@example.com and we’ll work to meet your needs.
Remote work is a part of our DNA. Given that our company was founded remotely in 2005, we can safely say we're experts at building remote culture. That said, remote work at 1Password does mean working from your home country. If you've got questions or concerns about this your Talent Partner would be happy to address them with you.
Successful applicants will be required to complete a background check that may consist of prior employment verification, reference checks, education confirmation, criminal background, publicly available social media, credit history, or other information, as permitted by local law.
Candidate Privacy Notice
When you apply for a position, refer a candidate, or are being considered for a role at AgileBits, Inc. (dba 1Password, 1Password, we, us, or our), your information is stored in Lever, in accordance with Lever's Service Privacy Notice. We use this information to evaluate your candidacy for the posted position. We also store this information, and may use it in relation to future positions to which you apply, or which we believe may be relevant to you given your background.
Candidates may also optionally choose to self-identify their race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, and disability. These answers will help us evaluate our diversity and belonging efforts. You do not have to answer these questions—your answers will not be linked to your name or job application, will not be visible to the hiring manager reviewing your application, and will in no way affect your job application. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information, please contact .