Staff Privacy Engineer
United States · Canada · Remote
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2023
We all have important information we need to manage, and protecting it should be easy. Over 100,000 businesses and millions of people log in to 1Password to unlock smart, simple access to everything they care about. Our vision is to create a safer, simpler digital future for everyone, and our culture values simplicity, honesty and a human-centric approach to solving problems. Come help us unlock peace of mind so everyone can stay safer online.
Here at 1Password we are deeply committed to customer privacy and security. The Security Team is passionate about our role in that mission and the ideal candidate for this role will share our excitement.
We’re looking for an experienced privacy engineer to join our highly collaborative team. In this role, you will collaborate cross-functionally with teams across the company to design and build infrastructure, technical controls, and programs that strengthen our security and privacy practices.
This is a remote opportunity within Canada and the US.
What we're looking for:
- Demonstrated experience driving privacy initiatives end-to-end and designing/implementing technical solutions for complex privacy challenges
- Minimum of 7 years of combined experience in the privacy or security space
- Proven ability to translate technical, legal, and regulatory requirements into engineering and operational execution
- Deep subject matter expertise in core technical privacy concepts such as anonymization and data protection, as well as familiarity with global privacy regulations (e.g., CCPA/CPRA, GDPR)
- Exceptional collaboration, communication, and relationship-building skills.
- Strong ability to influence without authority, negotiate to positive outcomes, and gain buy-in from partner teams on large-scale initiatives
- Ability to thoughtfully evaluate and find an appropriate balance between privacy excellence goals, legal and compliance requirements, technical capabilities/limitations, and business needs
- Willingness to take full ownership and skillfully manage competing priorities, anticipate issues, and proactively drive resolution
- CIPP/US, CIPP/EU, CIPM, or CIPT privacy certification a plus, but not required
What you can expect:
- Collaborate cross-functionally with teams across the company to ensure that privacy is built into our infrastructure, products, services, and processes by design
- Build strong relationships with partner and stakeholder teams in order to advise on product launches and collaboratively develop technical solutions to privacy challenges
- Develop and implement scalable programs, processes, tools, and infrastructure to make achieving privacy excellence easy and fast for teams
- Advise on the technical design and application of novel privacy technologies and solutions, such as data tagging taxonomies, differential privacy implementations, anonymization/pseudonymization methodologies, etc.
- Dive deep into product tech stack, review engineering design specs and code, and conduct privacy assessments of the highest risk areas of the business to develop nuanced technical proposals to solve privacy issues
- Partner closely with legal counsel to understand privacy risk and develop technical solutions that ensure compliance with state and international privacy laws
- Drive development and adoption of company-wide internal privacy policies and guidelines that reinforce 1Password’s strong culture of privacy and security
United States-based roles only: The Annual salary for this role is between $180,000USD and $244,000USD, plus immediate participation in 1Password’s benefits program (health, dental, 401k and many others), utilization of our generous paid time off and, where applicable, participation in our incentive programs. All employees are owners of 1Password and receive an equity grant as part of their total package. At 1Password, we approach each individual's compensation with a promise of fair market value and internal equity commensurate with experience and specific skill set.
What we offer:
We believe in working hard, and resting hard. We’re always looking for new ways to support our team members, but here’s a glance at what we currently offer:
Health and wellbeing
> 👶 Maternity and parental leave top up programs
> 👟 Wellness spending account
> 🏝 Generous PTO policy
> 💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
> 🧠 Complimentary Headspace membership
> 🩺 Comprehensive health coverage
Growth and future
> 📈 Employee stock option program for all full time employees
> 💸 Retirement matching program
> 💡 Training budget, 1Password University access, and learning sessions
> 🔑 Free 1Password account (and friends and family discount!)
Flexibility and community
> 🤝 Paid volunteer days
> 🌎 Employee-led DEI&B programs and ERGs
> 🏠 Fully remote environment
> 🏆 Peer-to-peer recognition through Bonusly
You belong here.
1Password is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and equitable workplace that is built on trust, support and respect. We welcome all individuals and do not discriminate on the basis of gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, sex, citizenship, education, languages spoken or veteran status. Be yourself, find your people and share the things you love.
Accommodation is available upon request at any point during our recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please speak to your talent acquisition partner or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll work to meet your needs.
Candidate Privacy Notice
When you apply for a position, refer a candidate, or are being considered for a role at AgileBits, Inc. (dba 1Password, 1Password, we, us, or our), your information is stored in Lever, in accordance with Lever's Service Privacy Notice. We use this information to evaluate your candidacy for the posted position. We also store this information, and may use it in relation to future positions to which you apply, or which we believe may be relevant to you given your background.
See more open positions at 1Password
Something looks off?