Commercial Property Underwriting Specialist (Remote First)
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2023
Zensurance is a scale-up InsurTech company that is re-imagining the commercial insurance market. At Zensurance, we want to empower small businesses across Canada to thrive by offering an honest, simplified, and modern approach to insurance. Our main recipe is a combination of modern technology and insurance industry expertise powered by our talented team members.
Being a technology-forward company, we utilize various tools and platforms to create fun, engaging and meaningful work experiences for our employees, as a remote-first company.
We are boldly going where no insurance broker has gone before!
Our Underwriting Team is critical to providing insurance solutions to small businesses across Canada. We are hiring for an Underwriting Specialist specializing in commercial property to grow, maintain and optimize our property portfolio on our Portfolio Underwriting Team.
Reporting to the COO, you will be responsible for working with our Insurance Analytics Team and Operational Underwriting team to expand our property risk binding authority within our internal MGA, grow our book of business and maintain a satisfactory loss ratio on our book.
This position requires you to take ownership and provide subject matter expertise on commercial property guidelines, and will allow you the opportunity to grow a book of business with one of Canada’s most exciting Insurtechs.
- Create and implement profitable commercial property insurance products, including digital and referral underwriting guidelines, pricing strategies and policy wordings.
- Maintain and optimize the book of business through data analyses in collaboration with the Insurance Analytics Team, claims history, and scheduled audits.
- Be accountable for reaching growth and profitability targets for the property book of business.
- Manage oversight and support of the operational underwriting team. This includes reviewing the issuance of policy documents, adjudication of individual accounts and assisting in day to day underwriting activities as needed.
- Be a subject matter expert within Zensurance for commercial property underwriting.
- Ability to make important decisions relying on data, facts and underwriting experience.
- Drive alignment within the insurance department, working closely with the Insurance Analytics team to implement changes to the Broker and Operational Underwriting Team.
- Proactively identify cause and effect relationships and explore alternative solutions to support sound decision-making.
- Mentor and coach other underwriters to expand their knowledge base.
- Collaborate with the Insurance Analytics Team & Underwriting Team on gathering data to make underwriting decisions and managing insurance partner relationships.
- As needed, directly underwrite individual referrals from brokers.
- Facilitate training sessions with the Underwriting and Broking teams to communicate appetite & policy changes.
- Participate in quarterly planning with the Insurance Team to highlight new opportunities and project prioritization.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 5+ years of technical commercial property underwriting experience.
- 2+ years of experience working with commercial property insurance portfolio optimization.
- Experience working with an MGA, or a program specific team, or as an internal underwriter at a brokerage is an asset.
- CAIB/CIP/FCIP/CRM is an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of commercial property policy wordings and regulations.
- Ability to use data driven processes to make decisions.
- Ability to take the lead on projects involving collaboration with multiple stakeholders.
- Utilize strategic thinking to execute on ambitious goals.
Perks we offer at Zensurance:
• Opportunity to work for Canada’s fastest-growing #insurtech scale-up
• Primarily remote work environment available to everyone
• Laptop, extra monitor and main accessories are provided
• Extra home office and supplies allowance to help with work-from-home set up
• Comprehensive and flexible health and dental plans to suit all lifestyles, including mental health
• Health/Personal Spending Accounts to subsidize your healthy habits and purchases
• Parental Leave Top Up
• Work from anywhere opportunities up to 60 days per occurrence
• Weekly Friday companywide huddles for casual catch-ups with other departments
• Build next-level relationships with your peers through scheduled companywide virtual and in-person team-building events
• Be a part of something special. We are confident you won’t find any other insurance company like us :)
Who we are. What we're building.
Business is hard work, insurance doesn’t have to be!
At Zensurance we believe that teamwork makes the dream work.
We are passionate about providing business owners with the best insurance solutions at great rates through an online and easy-to-use platform.
Our secret sauce is all about our culture. Here at Zensurance our culture is built on four core values that we live and breathe daily. They are:
INTEGRITY: We do what's right.
INCLUDE: We are an open and safe space for all.
INVENT: We take an innovative approach to creating straightforward solutions for our customers.
DELIVER: We set ambitious goals and hold ourselves accountable for achieving them.
Zensurance celebrates diversity in its workforce structure and encourages applications from all backgrounds.
Zensurance is an inclusive employer that celebrates diversity in its workforce structure. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs under the respective provincial human rights codes throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the recruiter if you require accommodation; to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
We understand that looking for a new exciting opportunity can be time-consuming. We truly appreciate your time in going through the job posting and applying for a position with us.