Senior Software Developer (Remote First)
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2023
Zensurance is a scale-up InsurTech company that is re-imagining the commercial insurance market. At Zensurance, we want to empower small businesses across Canada to thrive by offering an honest, simplified, and modern approach to insurance. Our main recipe is a combination of modern technology and insurance industry expertise powered by our talented team members.
Being a technology-forward company, we utilize various tools and platforms to create fun, engaging and meaningful work experiences for our employees, as a remote-first company.
We are boldly going where no insurance broker has gone before!
We are looking for a Senior Software Developer to join our Enabling team.
The Enabling team makes informed suggestions about architectural, tooling, frameworks, and ecosystem choices that affect the tool stack. This team takes into consideration the technical and product domain to help increase the autonomy of stream-aligned teams by growing their capabilities with a focus on problems rather than solutions.
Reporting to the Team Lead, Engineering, you will work with the Engineering Department to build the software that powers the Zensurance data collection, rating and pricing engines. Using Node and Typescript, you will be responsible for providing technical guidance and enforcing best practices in software development.
In addition, you will be expected to coach, mentor lower-level professionals, and assist the Engineering Leadership Team in continuously improving craft capabilities.
This is a remote-first role within the GTA. #LI-Remote
- Take ownership of the development of custom features and drive their technical implementation.
- Act as the Subject Matter Expert for the team’s domain and drive its technical direction.
- Suggest, design, implement, test and monitor features and functionalities.
- Facilitate cross-team collaboration in accordance with established best practices and Agile methodology.
- Evangelize proper software architecture and development paradigms.
- Collaborate with project stakeholders and the development team to design and build scalable, user-friendly systems for our customers, and in-house tooling.
- Discuss strategy and outline tradeoffs of potential software solutions.
- Develop, test, and maintain codebase within the team’s domain.
- Write clean, maintainable, and scalable code.
- Contribute to knowledge sharing of new technologies and solutions which fall within the team’s area of expertise.
- Offer guidance and mentorship to junior and intermediate team members.
- Develop and maintain documentation for new and existing features and integrations.
- Develop an understanding of company goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- University degree or college diploma in a recognized technical, vocational or academic program (preferably in Engineering or Computer Science) or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years building rich, complex web applications.
- Experience architecting and augmenting large software systems.
- Extensive fullstack experience with Node/AWS and the TypeScript ecosystem.
- Experience with React.
- A passion for clean, reusable, and well-structured code.
- Ability to communicate efficiently.
- Ability to work in a collaborative style.
- A commitment to continuous improvement, continuous learning and knowledge sharing.
- Experience with state management libraries (React, Redux, MobX) is an asset.
- Experience with modern frontend tooling (Webpack, Babel, etc.) is an asset.
About our Engineering Team:
Our fully remote engineering team fosters a learning culture that encourages professional development. Some of the highlights of the team environment include:
• Approachable, a supportive leadership team with extensive technical experience and ability.
• Training and professional development budgets.
• Knowledge sharing through power-ups.
• Learning events and book clubs that help the team develop their skills and create a safe, supportive environment.
• Twice-annual hackathons that provide opportunities to explore interests and practice new technical skills.
• Opportunities to share your knowledge and experience and mentor others.
In addition, we provide amazing opportunities for career advancement. We provide well-defined and documented career progression paths to our engineering team members that provide clear expectations and requirements for advancement in our fast-growing environment.
As we scale our team, you'll have the opportunity to work on challenging projects using a modern tech stack and cutting-edge systems, including microservices and micro-frontends, with industry-leading tools such as NodeJS, React, TypeScript, Kafka, and more.
Perks we offer at Zensurance:
• Opportunity to work for Canada’s fastest-growing #insurtech scale-up
• Primarily remote work environment available to everyone
• Laptop, extra monitor and main accessories are provided
• Extra home office and supplies allowance to help with work-from-home set up
• Comprehensive and flexible health and dental plans to suit all lifestyles, including mental health
• Health/Personal Spending Accounts to subsidize your healthy habits and purchases
• Parental Leave Top Up
• Work from anywhere opportunities up to 60 days per occurrence
• Weekly Friday companywide huddles for casual catch-ups with other departments
• Build next-level relationships with your peers through scheduled companywide virtual and in-person team-building events
• Be a part of something special. We are confident you won’t find any other insurance company like us :)
Who we are. What we're building.
Business is hard work, insurance doesn’t have to be!
At Zensurance we believe that teamwork makes the dream work.
We are passionate about providing business owners with the best insurance solutions at great rates through an online and easy-to-use platform.
Our secret sauce is all about our culture. Here at Zensurance our culture is built on four core values that we live and breathe daily. They are:
INTEGRITY: We do what's right.
INCLUDE: We are an open and safe space for all.
INVENT: We take an innovative approach to creating straightforward solutions for our customers.
DELIVER: We set ambitious goals and hold ourselves accountable for achieving them.
Zensurance celebrates diversity in its workforce structure and encourages applications from all backgrounds.
Zensurance is an inclusive employer that celebrates diversity in its workforce structure. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs under the respective provincial human rights codes throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the recruiter if you require accommodation; to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
We understand that looking for a new exciting opportunity can be time-consuming. We truly appreciate your time in going through the job posting and applying for a position with us.