Tech Lead, DevOps (Remote First)
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2023
Zensurance is a scale-up InsurTech company that is disrupting the commercial insurance market. At Zensurance, we want to empower small businesses across Canada to thrive by offering an honest, simplified, and modern approach to insurance. Our main recipe is a combination of modern technology and insurance industry expertise powered by our talented team members.
Being a technology-forward company, we utilize various tools and platforms to create fun, engaging and meaningful work experiences for our employees, as a remote-first company.
We are boldly going where no insurance broker has gone before!
We are looking for a Tech Lead, DevOps to join us in creating a robust insurtech platform. This role is for our Enabling Team, which focuses on providing necessary support, resources, and environment for teams to effectively focus on their goals and objectives. .
The team makes informed suggestions about architectural, tooling, frameworks, and ecosystem choices that affect the tool stack. Additionally, they take into consideration the technical and product domain to help increase the autonomy of stream-aligned teams by growing their capabilities with a focus on problems rather than solutions.
This is a mid-level Subject-Matter-Expert position, reporting to the Team Lead or Manager of Engineering. You would leverage your significant technical background to guide the Engineering Team’s technical strategy in accordance with the team’s culture of iterative, autonomous development and deployment.
You will also play a crucial role in ensuring seamless collaboration between development and operations teams, driving the adoption of DevOps practices, and promoting a culture of security, everything as code, continuous integration, testing, delivery, and improvement.
This is a remote-first role within the GTA. #LI-Remote
- Collaborate closely with project stakeholders and the development team to actively design, build, and take a hands-on approach in implementing scalable and resilient infrastructure.
- Collaborate with Product Management to examine, adjust and break down roadmap items into epics, and break down epics into discreet, actionable, appropriately sized tickets in the team’s backlog.
- Establish and optimize CI/CD pipelines, automating the build, test, and deployment processes to facilitate fast and reliable software releases.
- Drive the adoption of containerization technologies (e.g. Docker) and orchestration frameworks (e.g. Kubernetes) for efficient deployment and scaling.
- Ensure consistency and standardization across environments and enable easy replication and recovery.
- Collaborate with security teams to implement and enforce security best practices, ensuring the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of systems and data.
- Provide a technical perspective on organizational objectives within the team’s scope of activities.
- Discuss various strategies and architecture, and highlight trade-offs for potential solutions.
- Perform code reviews, ensure pull requests accurately reflect the acceptance criteria of the tickets they address.
- Use quality metrics to identify gaps in testing strategy.
- Work with teams to recommend solutions that are in accordance with accepted testing frameworks.
- Define and prioritize areas of technical debt and bugs, take into consideration outcomes of the incident management process, and address them with the team.
- Foster a culture of iterative deployability with awareness of cycle time and failure rates.
- Coach and mentor the development team.
- Use a systematic approach to diagnose issues within the application or infrastructure.
- Consistently produce production-ready code that is easily testable, easily understandable, and accounts for edge cases and errors.
- Follow Agile practices, suggest improvements, and participate in team events.
- Develop a strong understanding of the company’s goals and initiatives and help the engineering team deliver on those goals/initiatives.
- Ensure technical standards like accessibility, performance, security, maintainability, functional correctness, operability and observability are observed in the modules developed and maintained by the team.
- Document decisions, research and guides to foster and build a culture of continuous learning and continuous improvement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- University degree or college diploma in a recognized technical, vocational or academic program (preferably in Engineering or Computer Science) or equivalent work experience.
- 7+ years of experience in DevOps engineering or related roles.
- 2+ years of experience designing and supporting scalable and distributed systems.
- Extensive understanding of DevOps principles and practices, including continuous integration, continuous delivery, infrastructure as code, and automation.
- Experience in cloud platforms, with hands-on experience in deploying and managing infrastructure in AWS.
- Experience working with Infrastructure as Code using tools like Pulumi and Terraform.
- Extensive knowledge of containerization technologies and orchestration frameworks like Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience in implementing and managing CI/CD pipelines using tools like Jenkins, GitLab CI/CD, or CircleCI.
- Experience in scripting languages like Bash, Python, or PowerShell for automation and task scripting.
- Experience mentoring other developers.
- A passion for clean, reusable, and well-structured code.
- Ability to manage their time effectively.
- Ability to communicate efficiently with stakeholders.
Nice to Have
- Experience working with test automation frameworks like Cypress, Nightwatch, Selenium, and BrowserStack.
- Familiarity with goal setting frameworks such as OKRs and SMART goals.
- Experience using Salesforce CRM.
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
- Experience with trunk-based development.
About our Engineering Team:
Our fully remote engineering team fosters a learning culture that encourages professional development. Some of the highlights of the team environment include:
• Approachable, a supportive leadership team with extensive technical experience and ability.
• Training and professional development budgets.
• Knowledge sharing through power-ups.
• Learning events and book clubs that help the team develop their skills and create a safe, supportive environment.
• Twice-annual hackathons that provide opportunities to explore interests and practice new technical skills.
• Opportunities to share your knowledge and experience and mentor others.
In addition, we provide amazing opportunities for career advancement. We provide well-defined and documented career progression paths to our engineering team members that provide clear expectations and requirements for advancement in our fast-growing environment.
As we scale our team, you'll have the opportunity to work on challenging projects using a modern tech stack and cutting-edge systems, including microservices and micro-frontends, with industry-leading tools such as NodeJS, React, TypeScript, Kafka, and more.
Perks we offer at Zensurance:
• Opportunity to work for Canada’s fastest-growing #insurtech scale-up
• Primarily remote work environment available to everyone
• Laptop, extra monitor and main accessories are provided
• Extra home office and supplies allowance to help with work-from-home set up
• Comprehensive and flexible health and dental plans to suit all lifestyles, including mental health
• Health/Personal Spending Accounts to subsidize your healthy habits and purchases
• Parental Leave Top Up
• Work from anywhere opportunities up to 60 days per occurrence
• Weekly Friday companywide huddles for casual catch-ups with other departments
• Build next-level relationships with your peers through scheduled companywide virtual and in-person team-building events
• Be a part of something special. We are confident you won’t find any other insurance company like us :)
Who we are. What we're building.
Business is hard work, insurance doesn’t have to be!
At Zensurance we believe that teamwork makes the dream work.
We are passionate about providing business owners with the best insurance solutions at great rates through an online and easy-to-use platform.
Our secret sauce is all about our culture. Here at Zensurance our culture is built on four core values that we live and breathe daily. They are:
INTEGRITY: We do what's right.
INCLUDE: We are an open and safe space for all.
INVENT: We take an innovative approach to creating straightforward solutions for our customers.
DELIVER: We set ambitious goals and hold ourselves accountable for achieving them.
Zensurance celebrates diversity in its workforce structure and encourages applications from all backgrounds.
Zensurance is an inclusive employer that celebrates diversity in its workforce structure. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs under the respective provincial human rights codes throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the recruiter if you require accommodation; to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
We understand that looking for a new exciting opportunity can be time-consuming. We truly appreciate your time in going through the job posting and applying for a position with us.
See more open positions at Zensurance
Something looks off?