Staff Quality Assurance Software Developer (Remote First)
Software Engineering, Quality Assurance
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2023
Zensurance is a scale-up InsurTech company that is disrupting the commercial insurance market. At Zensurance, we want to empower small businesses across Canada to thrive by offering an honest, simplified, and modern approach to insurance. Our main recipe is a combination of modern technology and insurance industry expertise powered by our talented team members.
Being a technology-forward company, we utilize various tools and platforms to create fun, engaging and meaningful work experiences for our employees, as a remote-first company.
We are boldly going where no insurance broker has gone before!
Zensurance is growing, and we are looking for a Staff Quality Assurance Software Developer to join our Digital Platform Group (DGP) in the engineering department!
The DPG group consists of 3 teams, including Payments, Applications and Broker Tooling. The group is in charge of making our customer experience seamless by creating a platform that's easy to navigate and functions well. The group uses the modern MERN stack (with the Broker Tooling team working with Salesforce), with complex integrations with third-party solutions in the back end.
Reporting to an Associate Director, you will design and implement solutions that suffice both the front-end application and back-end API quality needs. In addition, you will leverage a significant technical background to guide the Engineering Group's quality strategy following the organizational culture of iterative, autonomous development and deployment.
You will work closely with the Engineering Leadership and Product Leadership teams to design and implement the systems and infrastructure that support the Engineering Group's needs.
As an individual contributor and a subject-matter expert, the Staff Quality Assurance Software Developer is expected to coach and mentor others and assist the Engineering Leadership Team with employee training and development to continuously enhance the team's technical capabilities and delivery excellence.
This is a remote-first role within the GTA. #LI-Remote
- Design and document quality gates and practices that adhere to best practices, company requirements, and other system requirements.
- Foster a culture of architecture that allows for iterative, autonomous development and future scaling.
- Anticipate future use cases and participate in design decisions that minimize the cost of future change.
- Adhere to the organization's security strategy using a security-first mindset.
- Improve the stability and performance of applications using operational data and an observability mindset.
- Use a systematic approach to define quality practices and standards to be followed by team members to ensure product quality.
- Write unit tests as well as higher-level tests to ensure application quality and stability.
- Ensure tickets meet defined acceptance criteria and consistently evangelize and educate team members about established best practices.
- Consistently produce examples and guides, easily understandable and account for edge cases and errors, using documentation strategies where appropriate.
- Drive and encourage quality-driven discussions based on product strategy and engineering principles to create alignment.
- Help define teams and group OKRs and KPIs and work to ensure they are aligned across the department.
- Help refine team roadmap based on quality strategy and constraints. Enable product growth and raise throughput by continuously improving quality strategy.
- Define and prioritize areas and types of tests that help reduce system fragility and maximize results.
- Consider the outcomes of the incident management process, and address them with the Engineering Group.
- Foster a culture of iterative deployability with awareness of cycle time and failure rates.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- University degree or college diploma in a recognized technical, vocational, or academic program (preferably in Engineering or Computer Science) or equivalent work experience.
- 10+ years of experience in Test Automation and Quality Assurance.
- 5+ years of experience in designing and improving modern quality assurance practices and processes.
- Experience with quality assurance manual practices, including Functional, Exploratory, and User Acceptance tests.
- Experience with Security test mechanisms, including SAST, DAST, IAST, and RASP.
- Experience with Accessibility test tools like Axe and Lighthouse.
- Experience with specialized test practices for Performance, Stress, Load, Reliability, and Scalability tests.
- Extensive experience with E2E test automation frameworks: WebDriverIO, Nightwatch, Cypress, Selenium, or others.
- Experience with Integration, Unit, and Snapshot Testing frameworks like Jest/Mocha.
- Experience working with BrowserStack.
- Experience ensuring the quality of large software systems.
- Extensive experience with technical mentorship.
- Extensive experience with the Scrum framework and Agile methodologies.
- Familiarity with DORA metrics.
- Familiarity with goal-setting frameworks such as OKRs and SMART goals.
- Proficiency with Google Suites, Zoom, Slack, and Microsoft Office (Excel and Word).
- A passion for well-structured quality assurance processes.
- Track record of successful time management skills.
- Ability to speak up and share ideas effectively with the team.
- Track record of showcasing technical leadership skills.
Nice to have
- Certifications such as CSTE, CSQA, CAST, CMSQ, and ISTQB are welcome.
- Experience in Salesforce.
- Experience ensuring the quality of projects using Monorepos and Trunk-based development.
- Experience ensuring the quality of micro-services and micro front-ends.
- Experience using SonarCloud / SonarQube.
- Experience using Salesforce CRM.
- Experience working with Infrastructure as Code using tools like Terraform and AWS.
- Experience working with CI/CD pipelines using tools such as GitHub Actions.
About our Engineering Team:
Our fully remote engineering team fosters a learning culture that encourages professional development. Some of the highlights of the team environment include:
• Approachable, a supportive leadership team with extensive technical experience and ability.
• Training and professional development budgets.
• Knowledge sharing through power-ups.
• Learning events and book clubs that help the team develop their skills and create a safe, supportive environment.
• Twice-annual hackathons that provide opportunities to explore interests and practice new technical skills.
• Opportunities to share your knowledge and experience and mentor others.
In addition, we provide amazing opportunities for career advancement. We provide well-defined and documented career progression paths to our engineering team members that provide clear expectations and requirements for advancement in our fast-growing environment.
As we scale our team, you'll have the opportunity to work on challenging projects using a modern tech stack and cutting-edge systems, including microservices and micro-frontends, with industry-leading tools such as NodeJS, React, TypeScript, Kafka, and more.
Perks we offer at Zensurance:
• Opportunity to work for Canada’s fastest-growing #insurtech scale-up
• Primarily remote work environment available to everyone
• Laptop, extra monitor and main accessories are provided
• Extra home office and supplies allowance to help with work-from-home set up
• Comprehensive and flexible health and dental plans to suit all lifestyles, including mental health
• Health/Personal Spending Accounts to subsidize your healthy habits and purchases
• Parental Leave Top Up
• Work from anywhere opportunities up to 60 days per occurrence
• Weekly Friday companywide huddles for casual catch-ups with other departments
• Build next-level relationships with your peers through scheduled companywide virtual and in-person team-building events
• Be a part of something special. We are confident you won’t find any other insurance company like us :)
Who we are. What we're building.
Business is hard work, insurance doesn’t have to be!
At Zensurance we believe that teamwork makes the dream work.
We are passionate about providing business owners with the best insurance solutions at great rates through an online and easy-to-use platform.
Our secret sauce is all about our culture. Here at Zensurance our culture is built on four core values that we live and breathe daily. They are:
INTEGRITY: We do what's right.
INCLUDE: We are an open and safe space for all.
INVENT: We take an innovative approach to creating straightforward solutions for our customers.
DELIVER: We set ambitious goals and hold ourselves accountable for achieving them.
Zensurance celebrates diversity in its workforce structure and encourages applications from all backgrounds.
Zensurance is an inclusive employer that celebrates diversity in its workforce structure. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs under the respective provincial human rights codes throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the recruiter if you require accommodation; to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
We understand that looking for a new exciting opportunity can be time-consuming. We truly appreciate your time in going through the job posting and applying for a position with us.
See more open positions at Zensurance
Something looks off?