Senior AML Analyst, Crypto
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2024
Your career is an investment that grows over time!
Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom by reimagining what it means to manage your money. Using smart technology, we take financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and make them transparent and low-cost for everyone. We’re the largest fintech company in Canada, with over 3 million users who trust us with more than $30 billion in assets.
Our teams ship often and make an impact with groundbreaking ideas. We're looking for talented people who keep it simple and value collaboration and humility as we continue to create inclusive and high-performing teams where people can be inspired to do their best work.
About the role
The AML Operations team is responsible for the detection and mitigation of money laundering, terrorism financing, and other financial crimes risks. As a Crypto AML subject matter expert, the Senior AML Analyst will be responsible for conducting blockchain investigations, managing complex crypto cases, and supporting the development of Wealthsimple’s AML program. This role will require attention to detail, exceptional decision making skills, resourcefulness, and the ability to apply a rational, research-oriented approach to the work at hand.
In this role, you will:
- Review and adjudicate alerts generated by our crypto transaction monitoring system.
- Conduct investigations using dedicated blockchain analysis tools, internal systems, and publicly-available resources.
- Prepare and manage comprehensive case files to document investigations, and provide recommendations to Senior Leadership.
- Draft and submit regulatory reports such as Suspicious Transaction Reports (STRs) and Large Virtual Currency Transaction Reports (LVCTRs).
- Provide assistance in performing quality assurance reviews of Analysts’ work, and deliver neutral, accurate and constructive feedback.
- Identify areas of opportunity for the AML team, and lead projects to improve the AML team’s policies and procedures.
The ideal candidate for this role has:
- 1+ years of experience with a cryptocurrency exchange conducting AML and crypto/blockchain investigations. A high level of proficiency and on-the-job experience using blockchain investigation/analysis tools such as Chainalysis is a requirement (this will be tested).
- 2+ years of AML experience with a financial institution or financial services company.
- Experience filing STRs and LVCTRs to FINTRAC.
- Experience performing complex AML investigations including writing detailed cases and providing recommendations.
- Thorough understanding of AML risks and regulations, and crypto crime typologies.
- Understanding of crypto assets, blockchain technology, and their use cases.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) and the ability to make sound decisions quickly.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, high volume environment.
- Passion for crypto and financial technology, and eagerness to grow in the crypto AML industry.
🤑 Competitive Salary with top-tier health benefits and life insurance
📈 Retirement savings matching plan using Wealthsimple Work
🌴 20 vacation days per year and unlimited sick and mental health days
📚 Up to $1500 per year towards wellness and professional development budgets respectively
🛫 90 days away program: Employees can work internationally in eligible countries for up to 90 days per calendar year
🌎 A wide variety of peer and company-led Employee Resource Groups (ie. Rainbow, Women of Wealthsimple, Black @ WS)
💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
We’re a remote-first team, with over 1000 employees coast to coast in North America. Be a part of our Canadian success story and help shape the financial future of millions — join us!
At Wealthsimple, we are building products for a diverse world and we need a diverse team to do that successfully. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know, and we will work with you to provide the necessary support and make reasonable accommodations to facilitate your participation. We are continuously working to improve our accessibility practices and welcome any feedback or suggestions on how we can better accommodate candidates with accessibility needs.