Senior Fullstack Software Developer
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2023
Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and makes them simple, transparent, and low-cost. We're the company behind some of Canada's leading digital financial products, and are growing faster than ever.
Our team is reimagining what it means to manage your money. Smart, high-performing team members will challenge you to learn and grow every day. We value great work and great ideas — not ego. We're looking for talented people who love a fast-paced environment, and want to ship often and make an impact with groundbreaking ideas.
We’re a remote-first team and output is more important than face time, so where you choose to work is up to you — as long as you have internet access, you can work from anywhere in Canada. Be a part of our Canadian success story and help shape the financial future of millions — join us!
Read our Culture Manual and learn more about how we work.
Our tech stack:
- Our primary stack is Ruby on Rails; at Wealthsimple you will be exposed to microservice architecture with over 100+ services -- these services are a mixture of Ruby on Rails, Java/Kotlin, NodeJS
- Our team works with front end UI libraries written in React or React Native using Typescript
- We are currently evolving our architecture to adopt event-driven design with Kafka as well as using GraphQL APIs to represent our data model
- We host our services on Amazon Web Services and use things like RDS, Aurora, SQS, SNS, S3, Kafka, etc.
- We follow the latest best practices and have great tools for profiling, logging, tracing, tracking and experimenting
- We have support from frontend platform, infrastructure, security and developer tools teams with a mission to help us work smarter and more efficiently
- We have a Redshift based data warehouse that integrates data from our back-end that allows you build tight feedback loops between what you ship and how it impacts your feature, your product and the overall company
Within 1 month, you'll:
- Learn about the foundations of Wealthsimple, and our current goals for the future that you will start to shape
- Meet other new Wealthsimplers in your onboarding group and key people from each department, to start to build relationships across the company
- Gather an understanding of our technology by pair-programming with your teammates and attending engineering onboarding sessions designed and presented by your peers
- Have an assigned buddy within your team that will assist you in getting up-to-speed with our architecture and current projects
Within 3 months, you'll:
- Learn Wealthsimple’s technical stack and apply our development patterns and best practices through your work
- Buddy up for your first on-call rotation to help identify and resolve production issues and bugs clients have experienced
- Contribute and support work in a new or existing product and share your work with the team
- Learn how to query our data to measure the impact of your work
- Support over a million clients on their financial journey by shipping your first project or feature in a secure, and scalable way 🚀
Within 6 months, you'll:
- Reliably ship new features to our clients, end users or other engineering teams, following our best practices such as shipping daily, writing automated tests and monitoring
- Contribute to or lead the technical design of a project, while understanding how it will shape our future architecture
- Collaborate with other developers on the team while mentoring and providing continuous feedback via code reviews
- Develop a big picture perspective and understand how our tools and frameworks come together. You’ll feel comfortable contributing to various codebases
Within 12 months, you'll:
- Lead your first project: planning, scoping and regularly communicating progress to stakeholders to ensure the quality and timeliness
- Have provided leverage to our engineering teams by shipping new best practices and tools for all to benefit from
- Participate in our hiring process and shape the growth of the Engineering team
- Have worked closely with our product and design teams, contributing your own feedback and opinions on design and UX
See more open positions at Wealthsimple
Something looks off?