Sales & Business Development
Halifax, NS, Canada
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2023
Wattpad WEBTOON Studios brings together technology, a diverse new generation of creators, and passionate global fandoms to create data-backed, audience-driven TV shows, films, and books. Leveraging incredible stories and insights from WEBTOON and Wattpad’s combined audience of more than 166 million people, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios has pioneered a bold, global, fan-first approach to entertainment. Wattpad WEBTOON Studios has worked with Netflix, Sony Pictures Television, Crunchyroll, The Jim Henson Company, Vertigo Entertainment, Constantin Film, Penguin Random House, and many other leaders in entertainment and publishing.
Don’t meet all the requirements? Studies show women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs if they do not meet all the qualifications. Therefore, in an effort to build a more diverse workplace, we encourage you to apply anyways. You might actually be the right person or you may be a good fit for a number of other openings we currently have.
We are seeking a dynamic, hardworking, results-driven, and analytical individual with a positive attitude and a passion for book selling. They will be expected to meet and ideally exceed annual sales goals for our boutique press, which publishes under 60 books annually across four imprints. This is a unique opportunity to dedicate true time and energy to the growth of the press and to really know each and every book published. In addition to managing day-to-day tasks with our distribution partner, you will also provide feedback and market insights internally across the entire team and work with external publishers on third party licensing deals. This position reports to the Director, Rights & Sales.
What you'll be doing:
- Oversee the sales and merchandising of our titles across the marketplace in close collaboration with our Distribution Partner
- Regularly review P&B and In-Release reports to ensure frontlist titles are reaching our forecast sell-in goals and work with Marketing and Publicity leads to improve sell-in and reorder activity
- Regularly review sell-through forecasts and actual sales, analyzing opportunities to maximize title growth in the market
- Identify backlist titles that have ongoing sales potential and develop materials that will enable the sales reps at our Distribution Partner to reposition and advocate for larger reorders
- Work closely with the Marketing team to plan eBook promotional opportunities
- Build and maintain strong relationships with N.A. publishers for licensing opportunities
- Explore retail marketing opportunities available outside of our traditional sales channels and in collaboration with our merchandising team
- Communicate sales updates, marketplace news and retail opportunities to internal teams
- Work with Distribution Partner and the Publicity team to plan regional trade shows
- Attend regular meetings and provide relevant input. Meetings include weekly sales, acquisitions, launch, and sales conferences
- Actively participate in all publishing meetings
What we're looking for:
- 3+ years in publishing sales with national account or licensing experience strongly preferred
- Familiarity with financial modeling, building budgets and managing forecasts a strong plus
- Ability to work independently as well as in groups across all internal teams, departments, and levels to drive meaningful business results
- Excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Detail oriented with excellent follow through and a positive attitude
- Dynamic analytical skills with the ability to innovate
Wattpad WEBTOON Studios is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
About Wattpad WEBTOON Studios
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play...and all while having a great time.
We are a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.