Payroll Accountant (Long Term Contractor)
Accounting & Finance
United States · Canada · Remote
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2023
Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 85 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
We are looking for a Payroll Accountant to join Wattpad’s Accounting and Finance team. In this role, you will assist across the Finance and HR teams through the processing of regular payrolls, closing and reconciling the accounting records each month and participating in a detailed forecasting process.
What you’ll be doing:
- Process global payrolls (US, Canada, UK, international contractors)
- Perform all headcount related accounting journal entries in accounting system
- Maintain headcount files and facilitate budgeting/forecasting of headcount and payroll
- Manage various stakeholders (operations teams, people team, finance)
- Create and manage headcount reporting materials for leadership to review
- Ensure payroll tax compliance
- Support employee expense reporting
- Reconcile compensation related accruals
- Assist with performance bonus calculations
- Assist in the month-end closing and reporting
- Other ad hoc accounting tasks
- Tracking vacation accruals for staff based on entitlement, salary and days taken.
What we're looking for:
- College Business diploma or equivalent real world experience
- Meticulous, keen attention to detail and highly organized
- Impeccable customer service, relationship building and problem solving skills
- Stellar communication (verbal and written) and possess professional maturity
- Proven track record of successful multi-tasking and ability to prioritize work and meet strict deadlines
- Possess a roll-up-your-sleeves attitude and thrive in a collaborative team environment
- Flexible and adaptable to execute ever changing job duties and take initiative on continuous improvement
- Has both a solid payroll background as well a working understanding of accounting in order to prepare payroll and also perform entries/do accounting analysis in relation to payroll
- Comfortable working in an accounting system
Nice to Have:
- CPA and/or CPP designation
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play...and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
If you happen to live near the areas of either Toronto, Ontario or Halifax, Nova Scotia, you may also have the opportunity to work from our beautiful offices - 1 located in Downtown Toronto and the other in Halifax.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.
Don’t meet all the requirements? Studies show women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs if they do not meet all the qualifications. Therefore, in an effort to build a more diverse workplace, we encourage you to apply anyways. You might actually be the right person or you may be a good fit for a number of other openings we currently have.