Sr. Policy Research Associate
United States · Canada · Remote
Posted on Thursday, June 8, 2023
As the global leader and pioneer of the mobile webcomic format, WEBTOON has revolutionized the comics industry for comic fans and creators. Today, a diverse new generation of international comic artists have found a home on WEBTOON, where the company’s storytelling technology allows anyone to become a creator and build a global audience for their stories.
With a massive catalog of incredible digital comics from rising stars on WEBTOON CANVAS platform, and a growing roster of superstar WEBTOON Originals creators, there’s something for every type of comic fan on WEBTOON. With an average of 89+ million monthly active users, and WEBTOON adaptations on Netflix, HBO Max, and other screens around the world, WEBTOON’s passionate fandoms are the new face of pop culture. The company has worked with DC Comics, Marvel Entertainment, HYBE, and many more of the world’s biggest entertainment brands.
This role will assist with our platform and policy research efforts for content and user safety. As part of the Brand Safety team at WEBTOON, you will join a team of trust and safety professionals dedicated to maintaining user and platform safety through research, policy, and advocacy. Our Brand Safety team works at the intersection of technology, legal and compliance, user operations, content publishing, and entertainment. You must be detail-oriented, visual, and self-motivated, with strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Conduct research and track and analyze current events, content trends, and policy trends on topics such as censorship, copyright, media and entertainment policies, and internet laws
- Support the drafting of memos, policy briefs, fact sheets, and background research on issues related to content policies and trends
- Lead monthly policy research meetings/forums with internal stakeholders
- Support the development and implementation strategy of our trust and safety policies for existing and new product features.
- Partner with internal stakeholders in developing and refining policies to improve creator and reader experience
- Assist with a broad set of activities that support policy development and implementation in the company for platform campaigns and events
- Education: B.A./B.S. in related fields
- 2-3 years' experience in trust and safety or related fields, and at least 1-year experience in policy research
- Experience working with moderation vendors, contractors, and BPOs
- Strong proficiency with technology and online project management systems: SharePoint, MS Office, Airtable
- Must have experience working with Zendesk
- Proficiency in Excel and/or SQL, and experience preparing reports
- Culturally aware of trends and pop culture in United States
- Interested in content policy, compliance, and/or internet governance
- Must have experience working with multicultural company
WEBTOON is owned by South Korea’s internet conglomerate Naver. In 2021, Naver acquired webnovel app Wattpad. The move aligned WEBTOON, the world’s largest digital comics platform, with Wattpad, the world’s leading webnovel platform. Together, these storytelling technology platforms reach a combined audience of 166 million people around the world.
Join us and work with some of the biggest artists, IP, and fandoms in comics!