Accounting & Finance
United States · Canada · Remote
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2023
Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 85 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
We are looking for an Accountant to join Wattpad’s accounting and finance team. Reporting to the Controller, you will be a key contributor in our accounts payable cycle from beginning to end. As the representative for all things AP-related, you will utilize your A+ customer service and relationship building skills to partner with our vendors (including our creators) and employees to ensure compliance to our policies & procedures and an overall positive & smooth interaction.
What you'll be doing:
- Detailed coding of invoices and expense reports in accordance with our robust corporate structure and chart of accounts
- Communicating with vendors, employees and working with department heads for approvals
- Responsible for recording monthly expense accruals across various departments
- Overseeing the timely processing of the semi-monthly payments cycle
- Tax compliance (HST registration, 1099, etc.)
- Reconciling Prepaid accounts and Fixed Asset schedules (purchase, disposals, amortization)
- Ensuring appropriate support and compliance to policies & procedures
- Assist with year-end audit
- Other duties as required to support a growing company
What we're looking for:
- Meticulous, keen attention to detail and highly organized
- Impeccable customer service, relationship building and problem solving skills
- Stellar communication (verbal and written) and possess professional maturity
- Proven track record of successful multi-tasking and ability to prioritize work and meet strict deadlines
- Possess a roll-up-your-sleeves attitude and thrive in a collaborative team environment
- Flexible and adaptable to execute ever changing job duties and take initiative on continuous improvement
- Experience with bookkeeping and/or in the AP cycle for a small/mid-sized company with multiple currencies and legal entities
- NetSuite, Beanworks and Expensify experience (not required)
- Bachelor degree in accounting or business
- CPA designation (preferred, but not required)
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play...and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
If you happen to live near the areas of either Toronto, Ontario or Halifax, Nova Scotia, you may also have the opportunity to work from our beautiful offices - 1 located in Downtown Toronto and the other in Halifax.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.
Don’t meet all the requirements? Studies show women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs if they do not meet all the qualifications. Therefore, in an effort to build a more diverse workplace, we encourage you to apply anyways. You might actually be the right person or you may be a good fit for a number of other openings we currently have.
See more open positions at Wattpad
Something looks off?