Creative Director, Design
Software Engineering, Design
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2023
As the global leader and pioneer of the mobile webcomic format, WEBTOON has revolutionized the comics industry for comic fans and creators. Today, a diverse new generation of international comic artists have found a home on WEBTOON, where the company’s storytelling technology allows anyone to become a creator and build a global audience for their stories.
With a massive catalog of incredible digital comics from rising stars on WEBTOON CANVAS platform, and a growing roster of superstar WEBTOON Originals creators, there’s something for every type of comic fan on WEBTOON. With an average of 89+ million monthly active users, and WEBTOON adaptations on Netflix, HBO Max, and other screens around the world, WEBTOON’s passionate fandoms are the new face of pop culture. The company has worked with DC Comics, Marvel Entertainment, HYBE, and many more of the world’s biggest entertainment brands.
WEBTOON Entertainment is looking for a Creative Director to lead its North American Design Team. This unique opportunity offers the chance to work in close collaboration with strategic marketing and creative partners at a global and local level, driving visual excellence across our four major brands: WEBTOON, Wattpad, Wattpad-WEBTOON Studios, and YONDER. This role reports directly to the Executive Creative Director and positions the right candidate at the helm of a passionate team of talented and creative designers driving big change in the media industry. Our one-true-person for the job knows how to lead with empathy but stay focused on quality and results. They are equally adept at UX, print, experiential, merchandising, and digital mediums with a portfolio demonstrating successful leadership of designers creating data-driven, bar-raising design that truly wows and makes our series and IP shine.
Please note: Only candidates with 10+ years of proven creative leadership experience will be considered. You must provide a working link to an online portfolio.
What you bring and do:
- 10+ years of relevant experience, including 3+ years of design leadership.
- Experience in UX/UI design or working closely with UX/UI designers.
- Portfolio demonstrating scope of multi-channel, multi-brand creative design projects driving results for top-tier entertainment or other brands.
- Establish and tirelessly maintain design excellence.
- Champion and foster big ideas from your team with our creators and fans at heart.
- Strategic, conceptual thinking and ability to translate business goals and KPIs into achievable tactics and creative deliverables to meet those goals.
- Next-level presentation skills; a proven track record of aligning leadership, stakeholders and external partners to your creative strategy and execution.
- Understanding of digital marketing; experience translating results to optimized creative iterations and concepts.
- Respect for, and ability to build upon established global and local brand guidelines and standards.
- Ability to quickly orient, motivate, and excite a team about projects spanning multiple brands.
- Experience delivering design and results for projects of all speeds and volume; from the steady tempo of app/platform content to strategic, multi-month campaigns.
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Suite; ability to adapt quickly to creative collaboration and operational tools.
- Excellent management and leadership skills, including specific instances of building strong cross-team relationships internally and with external partners.
- Agility in adapting to and communicating changes in briefs, priorities, and revisions.
- Staying on-top of entertainment and general design trends. Translate them to our work in a manner that’s cohesive with existing brand guidelines.
We’d love it if you also had…
- A strong passion for one or more of our brands.
- Passion and deep knowledge of multiple of the following: gaming, anime, manga, comics, TV, cinema, pop culture in general.
- Experience in the digital and/or traditional book publishing industry.
- Experience in creating and/or reviewing merchandise style guides, including IP style guides.
- Experience in video or other commercial advertising production (shoots, photography, etc.)
- Business-level or above Korean is helpful in interfacing with our global brand stakeholders but is not necessary for success in this role.
WEBTOON is owned by South Korea’s internet conglomerate Naver. In 2021, Naver acquired webnovel app Wattpad. The move aligned WEBTOON, the world’s largest digital comics platform, with Wattpad, the world’s leading webnovel platform. Together, these storytelling technology platforms reach a combined audience of 166 million people around the world.
Join us and work with some of the biggest artists, IP, and fandoms in comics!
See more open positions at Wattpad
Something looks off?