ventureLAB is a not-for-profit leading global founder community for hardware technology and enterprise software companies in Canada. Our organization is led by seasoned entrepreneurs and business leaders with decades of industry experience in building IP-rich start-ups, scale-ups, and global multinationals to help businesses scale. Located at the heart of Ontario’s innovation corridor in York Region, ventureLAB is part of one of the biggest and most diverse tech communities in Canada. Since 2011, ventureLAB has enabled over 3,500 tech ventures to create over 5,000 jobs and raise more than $340 million in investment capital through our initiatives focused on raising capital, talent retention, technology and IP commercialization, and customer acquisition. Together with our community of entrepreneurs, innovators, investors, and partners, we enable technology startups to accelerate the commercialization of transformational products on a global scale. ventureLAB is home to the Hardware Catalyst Initiative — Canada’s only lab and incubator for hardware and semiconductor-focused companies. At ventureLAB, we grow globally competitive tech titans that build-to-scale in Canada — for global markets.
Powering hardtech founders to build and scale globally competitive ventures that advance Canada’s knowledge-based economy.
Born Global. Built to Scale. Inclusive by Design. Inspire a new generation of global founders who choose Canada to scale IP-rich tech titans creating innovative hardware and scale-ready enterprise software solutions that transform communities and establish a blueprint for a more sustainable, inclusive tech ecosystem.
Our Values — Team RIVIR
- Relentless: We are tenacious and resilient. We follow through and remove roadblocks so together we succeed and go further.
- Inclusive: We are empathetic, open-minded and collaborate respectfully so that we build trust with each other and value diverse opinions, ideas and perspectives to learn and make better decisions.
- Visionary: We inspire bold futures with our founders, team, partners and community by challenging each other respectfully and thinking differently.
- Innovative: We celebrate ingenuity and empower the team to create new ideas, processes and strategies. We are curious and resourceful by asking questions for clarity.
- Results: We are proactive and plan. We are accountable and focused. We are direct and transparent through fact-based discussions.
ventureLAB is made up of passionate, driven individuals, and is growing quickly. It is a fast-paced, flexible environment where individual contributors make a big difference and work collaboratively to achieve shared goals. We are proud to be one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures and a Great Place to Work®.
Reporting to the VP Strategy & Stakeholder Engagement, the Director of External Relations will manage and oversee the relationships with government, collaboratively contribute to the strategic communications of ventureLAB and support partnerships with business, academic and the public sector organizations we work with. Working closely with officials in both the provincial and federal governments this person will also be charged with helping the CEO and team to advance policy issues and provide feedback to members and partners on government programs.
Government and External Relations
- Lead the External Relations team, to provide vision and structure for ventureLAB’s strategic communications and external relations
- Work with the communications department and policy team to coordinate external activities and maintain one voice for the organization.
- Develop a strategy to enhance and maintain relationships with key stakeholders including government and ventureLAB partners and funders and to enhance our visibility as a leader in the HardTech and semiconductor space in Canada and internationally.
- Work with the VP Strategy & Stakeholder Engagement and leadership team to develop our international positioning and to execute our strategy on the world stage.
- Identify, pursue, and assist in securing government funding opportunities and incentives for ventureLAB
- Maintain stakeholder relationships within the tech ecosystem
- Work with the policy team to monitor and analyze policy developments that could impact the tech sector and ventureLAB members.
- Collaborate with the leadership team to advocate for policy changes that support tech founders and startups.
Marketing & Communications
- Assist in creating policy-focused communications materials to enhance national and international positioning, including white papers, talking points, and social media content.
- Provide support in developing materials to further the organization's advocacy objectives.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor of Arts or a Masters in Political Science
- Strong strategy development and execution skills
- Extensive experience in government relations, public policy, or a related field.
- Deep understanding of the legislative process and experience in policy advocacy.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong relationships with government officials and stakeholders
- Knowledge of the Canadian tech ecosystem and the challenges tech founders face.
- Ability to develop and present material on complex matters
- Clear communicator with strong writing and editing skills. Comfortable with group presentations.
- Strong communication and negotiation skills.
- Highly developed emotional quotient and ability to manage relationships with people internal and external to the organization.
Competitive + Discretionary Bonus + Excellent Medical/Dental Benefits
How to Apply
Apply by Friday Feb. 29th to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting “Director of External Relations — Job ID 202348” in the subject line. Include your resume and a brief note telling us why you’d be a great addition to the ventureLAB team. Early submissions are encouraged as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
In addition to salary, ventureLAB offers a comprehensive benefits package, learning and development opportunities and 4 weeks vacation.
At ventureLAB, we value diversity, inclusion, and respect. Diverse experience, perspectives, and backgrounds bring great ideas and create stronger teams — we embrace it, because we know that by including everyone, we all thrive. Accommodations are available on request for candidates with disabilities taking part in the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Response to COVID-19
Effective December 1, 2021, all newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of full vaccination (first and second dose) against COVID-19 of a vaccine currently approved by Health Canada or provide documentation to support an exemption based on grounds covered by the Ontario Human Rights Act (i.e. medical exemption).