Site Reliability Developer
This is a flexible position and has the option of working in our Toronto office full time, hybrid throughout the week or working entirely remotely. #LI-Remote
About the role:
Vena is looking for an SRE to join our SaaS Technology and Operations (STO) team. This role is a match for you if you love building highly scalable, resilient, and automated services. We are an innovative team which aims to provide exceptional customer experience by leveraging best-in-class automation and orchestration practices for Vena's SaaS platform. As a Site Reliability Developer 1, you will be part of the first level of contact into the STO team, focusing on improving the observability, scalability, stability and security of Vena’s SaaS platform.
We strive to hire people who are looking to make an impact and thrive in a flexible work environment driven by business objectives.
What you will do:
- Support key ITIL processes, including Incident management, request management, problem management and change management.
- Define and document runbooks and standard operating procedures.
- Field operational requests from our Application Support team and other internal stakeholders.
- Triage and solve issues within defined SLA’s to ensure an excellent customer experience and to unblock other development and support teams.
- Maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency and overall system health.
- Identify and troubleshoot problems, investigate root causes, and champion fixes across the organization.
- Work with infrastructure-as-Code (IaC) with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members on features and implementation within an agile environment.
- Report on SLAs and performance metrics as part of the Operations function.
- Participate in on-call rotation.
What we use:
Please note this reflects only a portion of our current technical stack, and we are constantly evolving and revisiting our stack as we grow:
- A modern AWS cloud infrastructure managed through infrastructure-as-code (Terraform), configuration-as-code (Ansible), and CI/CD (Jenkins)
- RDS MySQL, Redshift, Redshift Spectrum, MongoDB, and Elasticsearch
- Kinesis, SQS, and RabbitMQ
- DevOps tools written in Python
- Back-end applications written using Java, Dropwizard, Spring Boot, and Hibernate
- Monitoring with DataDog, and CloudWatch
Does this sound like you?:
- 2+ years of experience in an IT Operational, DevOps, SRE, or Software Engineering role.
- Experience with cloud computing (AWS and Azure) services and a developing-level of knowledge with the management and setup of cloud infrastructure.
- You can write code - in any language. You have implemented your work in a production environment and can back it up with examples.
- Experience with tools and platforms such as: Ansible, Build/Release Pipelines, Docker, Github, Terraform etc.
- Developing-level of knowledge with distributed systems in the cloud using observability and telemetry for oversight of code deployments and service level objectives (SLOs).
- Developing experience with the operational aspects of software systems using telemetry, centralized logging, and alerting with tools such as: CloudWatch, Datadog, Prometheus, etc.
Not checking every box?
Sounds like the job for you, but you don’t think you have what it takes on paper? Reach out to us anyway! We’re aware that members of marginalized groups typically apply only when they check every box. Vena is an inclusive workplace that considers all applicants. We value diversity—in professional backgrounds and in experiences—and are committed to providing equal opportunity and a sense of belonging for all employees and applicants. Let’s discover together whether you could be a great fit at Vena.
Why choose Vena?
- Total Rewards: Grow with Vena and celebrate its success with our Employee Stock Option Program (ESOP). We look ahead and invest in your future with our Retirement Savings Matching Program. We also provide comprehensive health benefits through our employer group plan effective from day one.
- Unique Culture: Join us in our ongoing commitment to build a diverse and inclusive workplace. Every voice, action and idea matters at Vena.
- Career Growth: We invest in your job training, professional development and continuing education and offer an Education Subsidy. Pursue your interests and chart your growth towards a new position on your current team or a new one. Vena had 240+ employee promotions and internal moves to new roles in 2022!
- Executive Leadership: Be inspired by our executive leadership as they lead and motivate our team.
- Read what employees say about working at Vena!
Please note: All interviews will be conducted using Zoom. We believe everyone should get to work from a location that suits their job and lifestyle the best, whether that is at home, in office, or a hybrid.