Senior Employment Counsel
As the world's largest car sharing marketplace, Turo is growing fast and hiring talent in the US, Canada, the UK, France, and Australia! Our driven, down-to-earth team empowers you to push yourself, make a huge impact, and accelerate your career growth.
About the team:
Turo is looking for a talented Senior Employment Counsel who enjoys managing complex projects, working with cross-functional teams, and wearing many different hats. This person will lead the employment legal function as we continue to grow and scale. As a member of Turo’s Legal team, you will partner with other leaders within Turo including our People Operations (“People Ops”) team to provide guidance and support on a myriad of global employment matters.
What you will do:
- Serve as the primary legal advisor on employment law, employee relations matters, and policy interpretation in all markets where Turo has employees, and in partnership with members of the legal department where there is an attorney in region.
- Provide legal, strategic and business advice, and support to the Legal and People Ops departments on day-to-day employee relations matters and compliance, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, pay equity, worker classification, performance management, terminations, restructurings, anti-discrimination, harassment prevention and non-retaliation, wage-hour compliance, leaves of absence, workplace accommodations, and internal investigations of potential violations of Turo policies.
- Handle pre-litigation claims, settlement negotiations and mediations, and employment litigation in partnership with the litigation team, including management of outside counsel where support is needed.
- Evaluate and communicate legal risks associated with complaints, grievances, charges, and other legal matters.
- Understand, interpret, and apply current laws applicable to Turo’s workforce, as well as keep up to date in identifying and analyzing upcoming obligations.
- Lead complex and time-sensitive projects, including M&A due diligence and integration activities related to employment matters, and coordinate with internal team members and when applicable, external advisors.
- Work to minimize legal exposure by proactively reviewing existing practices, forms, contracts, and policies regarding employment matters, while considering business objectives and practicalities.
- In partnership with the People Ops team, review and draft policies, procedures, and agreements (e.g., offer letters, confidentiality agreements, separation agreements, settlement agreements, and employment agreements), and prepare legal documents and other forms of communication regarding transactional or legal advice.
- Help build and implement scalable, world-class employment policies and programs that balance legal risk with business priorities.
- Support People Ops in developing training materials and provide training on employment law issues and employment-related policies and practices to People Ops team members, people managers, and other employees.
- Establish and maintain relationships, credibility, and trust with clients, stakeholders, legal team members, and other colleagues.
- You have a JD degree from an accredited law school.
- You have 10+ years of substantive employment experience with in-house experience, preferably at a late-stage (or public) tech company with a global footprint.
- Expert-level familiarity with US state employment laws and preferably experience providing counsel on international employment matters.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills within and across departments and externally.
- You are collaborative, pragmatic, flexible, comfortable operating in gray areas, business-focused, and a whiz at multitasking..
- You are proactive and confident in identifying issues and providing counsel and demonstrate Turo’s values through work product and within day to day team interactions.
The SF base salary target range for this full-time position is $224k - $280k + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position in this location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your work location during the hiring process.
- Competitive salary, equity, benefits, and perks for all full-time employees
- Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance (Country specific)
- Retirement employer match
- $2,000 Learning & Development stipend to invest in your professional development
- $1,000 USD Turo host matching and $1,500 USD vehicle reimbursement program
- $100 USD Monthly Turo travel credit
- Cell phone, internet and Fringe benefit stipend
- Paid time off to relax and recharge
- Paid holidays, volunteer time off, and parental leave
- For those who are in the office full-time or hybrid we have weekly in-office lunch, office snacks, and fun activities
- Annual Turbo Week (week-long, company-wide conference)
We are committed to building a diverse team. If you are from a background that's underrepresented in tech, we'd love to meet you.
Aside from an award winning work environment and the opportunity to be part of the world’s largest car sharing marketplace, we are also growing the team quickly - join us! Even if you don't meet every qualification, we are looking for people with enthusiasm for what we do and we will consider you for this and other possibilities.
Turo is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Turo will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, as applicable.
We welcome candidates with physical, mental, and/or neurological disabilities. If you require assistance applying for an open position, or need accommodation during the recruiting process due to a disability, please submit a request to People Operations by emailing PeopleOps@turo.com.
Turo is the world’s largest car sharing marketplace where you can book any car you want, wherever you want it, from a vibrant community of trusted hosts across the US, Canada, France, UK and Australia. Guests choose from a totally unique selection of nearby cars, while hosts earn extra money to offset the costs of car ownership. A pioneer of the sharing economy and the travel industry, Turo is a safe, supportive community where the car you book is part of a story, not a fleet.
Read more about the Turo culture according to Turo CEO, Andre Haddad.