As the world's largest car sharing marketplace, Turo is growing and hiring talent in the US, Canada, United Kingdom, France, and Australia. Our collaborative teams encourage you to be curious and bring new ideas that will drive our company’s mission. Turo prides itself on its culture that celebrates diversity and gives everyone space to learn and grow.
About the team:
We are looking for a highly driven Tax Attorney to join the team. Reporting to the VP of Tax, this position will perform a wide range of tax functions associated with income tax and indirect tax controversies. As a Turo tax team member, you will be at the forefront of a rapidly expanding global organization. The ideal candidate for this position will have a strong understanding of legal principles of tax laws, excellent technical and communication skills, and the ability to partner effectively across business functions. With your passion for teamwork and ambitious, proactive style, you will significantly contribute to every aspect of our Tax function, managing and facilitating Turo’s phenomenal growth rate.
What you will do:
- Oversee and manage all tax audit appeals
- Interpret newly enacted laws and analyze their impact on Turo’s business
- Coordinate with GR and legal teams on the impact of new and proposed legislation
- Provide feedback on proposed airport agreements
- Perform taxable presence analysis for US federal, state, and international law
- Relationship management with admin bodies handling tax disputes, external lawyers and judicial branches- appeal and state courts
- Involved in international transfer pricing and future international restructuring needs
- Research, quantify, and document tax positions and strategies.
- Track and analyze worldwide tax developments and assess the impact on Turo’s operations
- Work closely with the Indirect Tax, Income Tax, and International Tax teams to communicate the impact of new/revised legislation on tax compliance, collections, and remittance.
- Work with cross-functional teams within finance and as business partners with other operational areas.
- Along with key internal stakeholders (tax teams, legal, finance and GR) working closely with external auditor on legal status of potential tax exposure, assessing risk of legal liability
- Draft and submit legal appeals to administrative, executive, and judicial authorities at the state and local level to contest tax assessments in which Turo determines that no legal basis for the imposition of the tax obligation or tax collection obligation exists (this may involve also working with outside counsel but not necessarily; in many situations only internal resources would be available to assist in pursuing an appeal)
- Where appropriate, collaborate with legal and GR teams to fashion legislative proposals that extinguish actual or potential indirect or direct tax exposure
- JD from accredited law school
- Minimum of 7+ years of tax legal experience
- Strong technical skills on tax legal analysis, appeals and litigation process
- Experience managing tax authority audit
- Strong tax research and writing skills
- Solid written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate technical tax issues to a non-technical audience
Bonus if you have:
- Tax LLM
- International tax legal experience
The San Francisco base salary target range for this full-time position is $XX,000-$XX,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position in this location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your work location during the hiring process.
- Competitive salary, equity, benefits, and perks for all full-time employees
- Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance (Country specific)
- Retirement employer match
- $2,000 Learning & Development stipend to invest in your professional development
- $1,000 USD Turo host matching and $1,500 USD vehicle reimbursement program
- $100 USD Monthly Turo travel credit
- Cell phone, internet and Fringe benefit stipend
- Paid time off to relax and recharge
- Paid holidays, volunteer time off, and parental leave
- For those who are in the office full-time or hybrid we have weekly in-office lunch, office snacks, and fun activities
- Annual Turbo Week (week-long, company-wide conference)
We are committed to building a diverse team. If you are from a background that's underrepresented in tech, we'd love to meet you.
Aside from an award winning work environment and the opportunity to be part of the world’s largest car sharing marketplace, we are also growing the team quickly - join us! Even if you don't meet every qualification, we are looking for people with enthusiasm for what we do and we will consider you for this and other possibilities.
Turo is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Turo will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, as applicable.
We welcome candidates with physical, mental, and/or neurological disabilities. If you require assistance applying for an open position, or need accommodation during the recruiting process due to a disability, please submit a request to People Operations by emailing PeopleOps@turo.com.
Turo is the world’s largest car sharing marketplace where you can book any car you want, wherever you want it, from a vibrant community of trusted hosts across the US, Canada, France, UK and Australia. Guests choose from a totally unique selection of nearby cars, while hosts earn extra money to offset the costs of car ownership. A pioneer of the sharing economy and the travel industry, Turo is a safe, supportive community where the car you book is part of a story, not a fleet.
Read more about the Turo culture according to Turo CEO, Andre Haddad.