Government Relations Manager
As the world's largest car sharing marketplace, Turo is growing and hiring talent in the US, Canada, United Kingdom, France, and Australia. Our collaborative teams encourage you to be curious and bring new ideas that will drive our company’s mission. Turo prides itself on its culture that celebrates diversity and gives everyone space to learn and grow.
About the team
Turo is expanding our Government Relations program and we seek a talented and experienced State Government Relations professional. This is a high impact opportunity to meaningfully shape global public policy in the disruptive industry of peer to peer car sharing.
What you will do
- Drive Turo’s objectives relating to public policy in assigned states and support initiatives in other hot spots as needed.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key legislators, organizations, committees and programs that impact Turo operations.
- Draw on existing experience to develop and execute jurisdiction-specific strategies to promote the concept of peer to peer car sharing while defeating efforts by incumbents to slow or inhibit our growth.
- Monitor all legislative and regulatory activities with potential to impact our industry, and develop engagement, inoculation, and education plans to address each one.
- Testify at state capitols on Turo’s behalf.
- Represent Turo in meetings, panel discussions, and group meetings in locations across North America.
- Contribute content to Turo’s OpenRoad grassroots website.
- Draft clear, persuasive, and onbrand correspondence and collateral material for public consumption.
- 5+ years professional Government Relations experience in a private sector company, high tech, or platform business. Alternatively, 5+ years experience as staff or advisor to a state legislature, legislator, or campaign committee.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Relationships with state legislators, staff, and policymakers.
- Exceptional writing and presentation skills.
- Other required qualities include: high energy, scrappiness, nimbleness, high emotional intelligence/low ego, strong sense of humor, strong collaborator and ability to cheer on the success of others.
Bonus if you have
- Direct government relations experience with focus on 50 states and local jurisdictions.
- Demonstrable network of impactful leaders.
- Strong organizational and communications skills including executive presence and public speaking.
- Experience with insurance issues.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible, collaborative, and to succeed in a fluid startup environment.
The US Remote base salary target range for this full-time position is $XX,000-$XX,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position in this location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your work location during the hiring process.
- Competitive salary, equity, benefits, and perks for all full-time employees
- Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance (Country specific)
- Retirement employer match
- $2,000 Learning & Development stipend to invest in your professional development
- $1,000 USD Turo host matching and $1,500 USD vehicle reimbursement program
- $100 USD Monthly Turo travel credit
- Cell phone, internet and Fringe benefit stipend
- Paid time off to relax and recharge
- Paid holidays, volunteer time off, and parental leave
- For those who are in the office full-time or hybrid we have weekly in-office lunch, office snacks, and fun activities
- Bi-annual Turbo Week (week-long, company-wide conference)
We are committed to building a diverse team. If you are from a background that's underrepresented in tech, we'd love to meet you.
Aside from an award winning work environment and the opportunity to be part of the world’s largest car sharing marketplace, we are also growing the team quickly - join us! Even if you don't meet every qualification, we are looking for people with enthusiasm for what we do and we will consider you for this and other possibilities.
Turo is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Turo will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, as applicable.
We welcome candidates with physical, mental, and/or neurological disabilities. If you require assistance applying for an open position, or need accommodation during the recruiting process due to a disability, please submit a request to People Operations by emailing PeopleOps@turo.com.
Turo is the world’s largest car sharing marketplace where you can book any car you want, wherever you want it, from a vibrant community of trusted hosts across the US, Canada, France, UK and Australia. Guests choose from a totally unique selection of nearby cars, while hosts earn extra money to offset the costs of car ownership. A pioneer of the sharing economy and the travel industry, Turo is a safe, supportive community where the car you book is part of a story, not a fleet.
Read more about the Turo culture according to Turo CEO, Andre Haddad.