As the world's largest car sharing marketplace, Turo is growing fast and hiring talent in the US, Canada, the UK, France, and Australia! Our driven, down to earth team empowers you to push yourself, make a huge impact, and accelerate your career growth.
About the team
Turo’s mission is to put the world’s 1.5 billion+ vehicles to better use. To achieve our ambitious mission, we are looking for pioneering, mission-driven, and supportive Engineering Managers to lead our engineering efforts. Our engineering managers are people with varying technical backgrounds—some are more hands-on with technical details and actively code while others provide general technical direction and oversight.
The ML Engineering team works with the Platform team and the Data Science team to deploy machine learning models to production using a microservices architecture with high availability and scalability.
As engineering manager of the ML Engineering team, you’ll lead a team of talented software engineers working on unlocking the potential of our Data Science team, to build systems to rapidly test and rollout new versions of existing models or brand new models for new applications.
What you will do
- Collaborate extensively with Data Science and Platform to build tools and systems that support iterations on our existing models, and deployment of new models.
- Provide technical mentorship to your team as we balance between building sustainable, high-impact projects and shipping them quickly.
- Work with Data Science and Platform engineering to build a roadmap based upon key business metrics.
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members.
- We help engineers with their career growth by assigning them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals.
- Build plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges in your organization.
- Work closely with the Turo recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds.
- 4+ years of management experience
- 6+ years of engineering experience in a platform team
- As a passionate and confident leader, you take pride and ownership in the work you and your team do.
- You have experience with architectural patterns and anti-patterns of large, high-scale consumer applications.
- You bias toward taking action, using the best available data to justify your actions and opinions, and make decisions that move the business forward.
- You can effectively hire, mentor, and develop career plans for engineers of all levels.
- You lead by example, holding yourself to the same standards you set for your team.
- You are a strong communicator: sharing knowledge upward, downward, and across the organization. You relish a regular cadence of one-on-one discussions with each team member.
- You have a proven understanding of business metrics and are able to suggest and scope product feature work to maximize the business impact.
- You enjoy solving complex problems and helping others meet their goals.
- Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, product managers, and engineers is no problem for you.
The SF base salary target range for this full-time position is $207,000-$252,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your work location during the hiring process. Please note that the salary range listed in this posting reflects the base salary only, and does not include bonus (if applicable), equity, or benefits.
- Competitive salary, equity, benefits, and perks for all full-time employees
- Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance (Country specific)
- Retirement employer match
- $2,000 Learning & Development stipend to invest in your professional development
- $1,000 USD Turo host matching and $1,500 USD vehicle reimbursement program
- $100 USD Monthly Turo travel credit
- Cell phone, internet and Fringe benefit stipend
- Paid time off to relax and recharge
- Paid holidays, volunteer time off, and parental leave
- For those who are in the office full-time or hybrid we have weekly in-office lunch, office snacks, and fun activities
- Bi-annual Turbo Week (week-long, company-wide conference)
We are committed to building a diverse team. If you are from a background that's underrepresented in tech, we'd love to meet you.
Aside from an award winning work environment and the opportunity to be part of the world’s largest car sharing marketplace, we are also growing the team quickly - join us! Even if you don't meet every qualification, we are looking for people with enthusiasm for what we do and we will consider you for this and other possibilities.
Turo is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Turo will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, as applicable.
We welcome candidates with physical, mental, and/or neurological disabilities. If you require assistance applying for an open position, or need accommodation during the recruiting process due to a disability, please submit a request to People Operations by emailing PeopleOps@turo.com.
Turo is the world’s largest car sharing marketplace where you can book any car you want, wherever you want it, from a vibrant community of trusted hosts across the US, Canada, France, UK and Australia. Guests choose from a totally unique selection of nearby cars, while hosts earn extra money to offset the costs of car ownership. A pioneer of the sharing economy and the travel industry, Turo is a safe, supportive community where the car you book is part of a story, not a fleet.
Discover Turo at https://turo.com, the App Store, and Google Play, and check out our blog, Field Notes.
Read more about the Turo culture according to Turo CEO, Andre Haddad.
Something looks off?