Senior Data Scientist - Fraud Risk
As the world's largest car sharing marketplace, Turo is growing fast and hiring talent in the US, Canada, the UK, France, and Australia! Our driven, down to earth team empowers you to push yourself, make a huge impact, and accelerate your career growth.
About the team
Data is our fuel at Turo. With more than 15 million days booked on the platform last year, by 3 million active guests, data is ever-more abundant and valuable. Data Science leverages that raw data to propel Turo on its mission to put the world's 1.5+ billion cars to better use. Our goals include keeping the marketplace safe, matching the right car for our guests' next adventure, finding the best price for our hosts' vehicles, and empowering teams at Turo with robust experimentation culture.
We love solving complex problems, value autonomy, and a clear path to success.
You are a creative and rigorous data scientist with 4+ years of relevant experience. You are comfortable with a range of statistical and ML techniques with the ability to apply them to deliver measurable business impact at Turo.
Modeling is your thing, you are proficient in translating unstructured business problems into mathematical frameworks, and propose scalable solutions. You have a passion for consumer products, shipping code, and data focused experiments. You are excited to play a key role in crafting the product from inception to implementation and beyond.
What you will do
The two-sided (host-guest) Turo marketplace is growing in market share and global presence. This role is primarily focused on developing insights and ML frameworks to build Risk (Fraud) mitigation strategies, facilitate profitable growth, and ensure Trust & Safety on the platform.
Your primary responsibilities will include the following:
- Operate at the nexus of Data Science and Risk strategy. You will work cross-functionally with Data Analytics, Trust & Safety, and Product teams to develop frameworks driving key product and modeling decisions.
- Own product features designed to identify and limit fraud on the marketplace, identify patterns, share insights, and provide recommendations through effective communication.
- Use ML and data mining techniques to develop robust models for anomaly detection such as 1st party and/or 3rd party ID/payment fraud, account takeover, fake listings etc.
- Continually improve and monitor new and existing Fraud models and strategies.
- Present your insights and suggestions to both technical and non-technical audiences of all levels in the company.
- Audit 3rd party data vendors in the Fraud space for Turo’s models and risk strategies.
- Own and provide technical guidance to the Engineering teams to ensure the data quality of your projects including training, test and experiment data.
- 4+ years of Data Science experience.
- 2+ years of experience building predictive models and strategies to mitigate Fraud risk such as ID/payment Fraud, anomaly detection etc.
- Experience working in cross functional teams with PMs, Trust & Safety Agents, Analytics and Engineers.
- Deep understanding of mathematical methods in statistics, optimization, and ML. Demonstrable experience applying these methods to real world prediction problems (classification, regression, anomaly detection, time series).
- Value Autonomy; Ability to think critically, understand and communicate complex problems in a result-oriented, data-driven manner with a focus on business impact.
- A demonstrated ability to manage and deliver on multiple projects with high attention to detail.
- Fluent in a production-ready programming language such as Python. Ability to deploy and scale models into a production environment collaborating with engineers.
- Fluent in SQL, ability to efficiently query large dataset.
The SF base salary target range for this full-time position is $162,000-$199,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your work location during the hiring process. Please note that the salary range listed in this posting reflects the base salary only, and does not include bonus (if applicable), equity, or benefits.
- Competitive salary, equity, benefits, and perks for all full-time employees
- Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance (Country specific)
- Retirement employer match
- $2,000 Learning & Development stipend to invest in your professional development
- $1,000 USD Turo host matching and $1,500 USD vehicle reimbursement program
- $100 USD Monthly Turo travel credit
- Cell phone, internet and Fringe benefit stipend
- Paid time off to relax and recharge
- Paid holidays, volunteer time off, and parental leave
- For those who are in the office full-time or hybrid we have weekly in-office lunch, office snacks, and fun activities
- Bi-annual Turbo Week (week-long, company-wide conference)
We are committed to building a diverse team. If you are from a background that's underrepresented in tech, we'd love to meet you.
Aside from an award winning work environment and the opportunity to be part of the world’s largest car sharing marketplace, we are also growing the team quickly - join us! Even if you don't meet every qualification, we are looking for people with enthusiasm for what we do and we will consider you for this and other possibilities.
Turo is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Turo will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, as applicable.
We welcome candidates with physical, mental, and/or neurological disabilities. If you require assistance applying for an open position, or need accommodation during the recruiting process due to a disability, please submit a request to People Operations by emailing PeopleOps@turo.com.
Turo is the world’s largest car sharing marketplace where you can book any car you want, wherever you want it, from a vibrant community of trusted hosts across the US, Canada, France, UK and Australia. Guests choose from a totally unique selection of nearby cars, while hosts earn extra money to offset the costs of car ownership. A pioneer of the sharing economy and the travel industry, Turo is a safe, supportive community where the car you book is part of a story, not a fleet.
Discover Turo at https://turo.com, the App Store, and Google Play, and check out our blog, Field Notes.
Read more about the Turo culture according to Turo CEO, Andre Haddad.
Something looks off?