Senior Software Engineer (Backend Data)
As the world's largest car sharing marketplace, Turo is growing fast and hiring talent in the US, Canada, the UK, France, and Australia! Our driven, down to earth team empowers you to push yourself, make a huge impact, and accelerate your career growth.
About the team
Data is our fuel at Turo. It is ever-more abundant and valuable, but it's raw material. Harnessed by data scientists and machine learning engineers, it propels Turo on its mission to put the world’s 1.5+ billion cars to better use, delighting our customers with matching the right car for their next adventure from an exceptionally diverse selection, and at the same time helping our marketplace remain safe.
At Turo, you will have the opportunity to use the latest technologies to build robust scalable solutions for collecting, analyzing large data sets, creating and maintaining data pipelines, data structures and reports. In this role, you’ll partner closely with software engineers, data analysts, and data scientists to power analytical data products.
What you will do
- On a daily basis, you will work with members of the team to update our data engineering roadmap and execute upon those initiatives
- Build new technology stack for highly scalable and available data pipelines used by Turo Product, Engineering, Data Scientists, Marketing, Customer Operations, and Finance teams
- Design canonical data models for various business domains. Formulate a vision to connect all data in the Turo ecosystem
- Develop, deploy and maintain workflow management tools such as Airflow, Jenkins etc in cloud environments.
- Develop, deploy and maintain streaming solutions such as Apache Spark streaming, Kafka and Apache Flink in cloud environments.
- Using cloud technology such as AWS, Kubernetes, Docker, Redshift, EMR
- Improve the efficiency of the team through mentoring of junior engineers.
- Data security automation
- Data microservices development
- Strong software engineering background with experience building tested reusable code frameworks and libraries
- Past experience building ETL processes
- Experience with a workflow manager — Airflow, Luigi, Jenkins, etc.
- Experience working with data tools in the public cloud (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Able to understand technical details and communicate with other engineers, as well as communicating with less technical members from other teams.
- Enjoys mentoring & teaching other engineers
- Familiar with Spark or other big data processing framework is a plus
- 5+ years of relevant experience
The SF base salary target range for this full-time position is $162,000-$199,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your work location during the hiring process. Please note that the salary range listed in this posting reflects the base salary only, and does not include bonus (if applicable), equity, or benefits.
- Competitive salary, equity, benefits, and perks for all full-time employees
- Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance (Country specific)
- Retirement employer match
- $2,000 Learning & Development stipend to invest in your professional development
- $1,000 USD Turo host matching and $1,500 USD vehicle reimbursement program
- $100 USD Monthly Turo travel credit
- Cell phone, internet and Fringe benefit stipend
- Paid time off to relax and recharge
- Paid holidays, volunteer time off, and parental leave
- For those who are in the office full-time or hybrid we have weekly in-office lunch, office snacks, and fun activities
- Bi-annual Turbo Week (week-long, company-wide conference)
We are committed to building a diverse team. If you are from a background that's underrepresented in tech, we'd love to meet you.
Aside from an award winning work environment and the opportunity to be part of the world’s largest car sharing marketplace, we are also growing the team quickly - join us! Even if you don't meet every qualification, we are looking for people with enthusiasm for what we do and we will consider you for this and other possibilities.
Turo is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Turo will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, as applicable.
We welcome candidates with physical, mental, and/or neurological disabilities. If you require assistance applying for an open position, or need accommodation during the recruiting process due to a disability, please submit a request to People Operations by emailing PeopleOps@turo.com.
Turo is the world’s largest car sharing marketplace where you can book any car you want, wherever you want it, from a vibrant community of trusted hosts across the US, Canada, France, UK and Australia. Guests choose from a totally unique selection of nearby cars, while hosts earn extra money to offset the costs of car ownership. A pioneer of the sharing economy and the travel industry, Turo is a safe, supportive community where the car you book is part of a story, not a fleet.
Discover Turo at https://turo.com, the App Store, and Google Play, and check out our blog, Field Notes.
Read more about the Turo culture according to Turo CEO, Andre Haddad.
Something looks off?