Senior Director, Data Science
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2024
We believe communication belongs to everyone. We exist to democratize phone service. TextNow is evolving the way the world connects and that's because we're made up of people with curious minds who bring an optimistic, yet critical lens into the work we do. We're the largest provider of free phone service in the nation. And we're just getting started.
Join us in our mission to break down barriers to communication and free the flow of conversation for people everywhere.
Our ideal candidate is a sharp, thoughtful, and collaborative leader who enjoys creating advanced algorithms and building scalable solutions to enable strategic decision-making. You will have direct visibility with the leadership team and drive initiatives to support the rapid growth of TextNow. In addition, you will work closely with your peers and cross-functional partners to accelerate decision quality across the company. You also have a strong combination of business acumen, technical background, and an intense hunger to make a significant business impact by owning and driving business outcomes. This full-time position will report to the VP of Data and Analytics.
Experience comes in many forms – skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team.
What We'd Like to See
- Talent leadership – Rich experience building world-class teams focused on solving the right, most impactful business problems. You have a demonstrated track record of attracting top talent, developing high-performing teams built upon trust and authenticity, and a knack for keeping top talent engaged and challenged with autonomy.
- Data and Analytics expertise – You excel at designing and building innovative solutions. You are equally strong at getting into the weeds and ensuring the techniques and data needed are relevant to the business objectives.
- Strategic mindset and operational excellence – You can formulate a clear, long-range strategic plan and execute the operation plan aligned to the company's strategic priorities and best-in-class solutions. You are equal parts technical and functional, able to persuade all audiences.
- Great communicator – You can tell the story behind the data and resulting insights across all levels. You are a pro at building slide decks that can simplify any complex story. You can customize your communication style based on stakeholders. You can guide and coach junior associates on story types, structures, and techniques based on context.
- Business acumen – You can anticipate the needs of business stakeholders and business opportunities in the relevant business context. You are thinking and acting beyond first-order effects
- Partner with finance, sales, marketing, growth, product, and engineering organizations to drive outcomes.
- Have a very strong solution mindset and proactively ideate and design relevant data science products to scale and monetize.
- Drive the development of quantitative analysis, analytic frameworks, and custom studies to support decision-making.
- Partner with Data Engineers to define data and tracking requirements and real-time scoring.
- Translate advanced solutions into actions and recommendations.
- Produce presentations to communicate findings clearly and effectively to stakeholders and leadership
- 10+ years of experience with data science
- Proven experience in leading strategies and initiatives from the idea to execution, driving and influencing product and business roadmaps
- Direct experience working with very large datasets
- Experience with at least one scripting language (R, Python)
- Presentation experience and a proven track record of using insights to influence executives and colleagues
- Master's or PhD Degree in computer science, statistics, or a related quantitative field or MBA from a top-tier school with a solid technical background
- Mobile/app domain experience
- Consulting and data strategy experience are a plus.
More about TextNow...
· People First (Make business decisions by putting people first!)
· No Brilliant Jerks (We're cool with the brilliant part, with the jerk part? not so much)
· Give a Damn! (We care about our work, our mission and our customers)
· Challenge Accepted (Show up with a positive can-do attitude)
Benefits, Culture, & More:
· Strong work life blend
· Flexible work arrangements (wfh, remote, or access to one of our office spaces)
· Employee Stock Options
· Unlimited vacation
· Competitive pay and benefits
· Parental leave
· Benefits for both physical and mental well being (wellness credit and L&D credit)
· We travel a few times a year for various team events, company wide off-sites, and more
Diversity and Inclusion:
At TextNow, our mission is built around inclusion and offering a service for EVERYONE, in an industry that traditionally only caters to the few who have the means to afford it. We believe that diversity of thought and inclusion of others promotes a greater feeling of belonging and higher levels of engagement. We know that if we work together, we can do amazing things, and that our differences are what make our product and company great.
TextNow Candidate Policy
By submitting an application to TextNow, you agree to the collection, use, and disclosure of your personal information in accordance with the TextNow Candidate Policy