Director of Data
Tailscale builds software that makes it easy to securely interconnect people and their devices, no matter where they are. From hobbyists to multinational corporations, teams of every size use Tailscale each day to protect their networks, share access to internal tools, and more. We're building a future for the Internet that's easy, small and safe, like it used to be. Founded in 2019 and fully distributed, we're backed by Accel, CRV, Insight, Heavybit, and Uncork Capital.
The Director of Data at Tailscale will be the visionary and executor behind our data infrastructure and strategy. This pivotal role involves overseeing the collection, storage, management, quality, and security of data across the company. You will lead a team responsible for turning data into critical insights that inform strategic decisions and product enhancements. Your leadership will ensure that Tailscale's data ecosystem supports our growth, innovation, and operational needs effectively and securely. This role will report to Tailscale’s COO.
including data strategy, architecture, governance, and analytics. This role would not only encompass analytical insights but also the creation and maintenance of robust data infrastructures, data quality, and compliance with data protection regulations.
- Develop and execute the company's data strategy, optimizing data collection, storage, analysis, and governance processes to drive business growth.
- Build, mentor, and empower a high-performing team of data professionals, including analysts, engineers, operations roles, and data scientists, to drive innovation and deliver impactful results.
- Engineer and implement robust data infrastructure and pipelines, ensuring seamless and secure data flow throughout the organization to support critical business operations.
- Establish and uphold stringent data governance and quality standards, ensuring regulatory compliance (e.g., GDPR, CCPA) and safeguarding sensitive information.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to understand and address departmental data requirements, aligning data initiatives with overarching business objectives to maximize value.
- Champion the adoption of advanced analytics, machine learning models, and data visualization tools to drive informed decision-making and fuel product innovation.
- Coordinate, connect, and align the sales and marketing systems that support go-to-market motions.
- Effectively communicate data-driven insights and narratives to stakeholders at all levels, fostering a culture of data literacy and informed decision-making across the organization.
- An advanced degree (or equivalent experience) in Data Science, Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field.
- Experience in a variety of data and product management roles, with material experience in a leadership position overseeing data teams and initiatives.
- Deep understanding of data architecture, data modeling, and database technologies (e.g. SQL, NoSQL, dbt, Fivetran).
- Proven experience in setting up and managing data warehouses, lakes, and data analytics platforms (e.g. Snowflake).
- Strong knowledge of data governance, data quality management, and data protection laws and regulations (e.g. GDPR, CCPA).
- Experience with data analytics and visualization tools (e.g. Looker, Grafana) and familiarity with machine learning frameworks.
- Exceptional leadership skills with a track record of building and mentoring high-performing data teams.
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills, capable of conveying complex data concepts in simple terms.
For this position, our target salary range is $205,000-$255,000 USD (paid in your local currency). As a company, we strive to maintain fair and equitable compensation practices within our team across all roles and all levels.
Frequently cited statistics show that people who identify with historically marginalized groups are likely to apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. We encourage you to help us break that statistic!
What We Offer
- An inclusive, flexible environment where you can be your authentic self. We recognize the impact diverse voices and backgrounds have on the growth of our people, our product, and our company. And that flexibility in how and when you work empowers our team to balance work and life.
- A competitive total compensation package. This includes base salary and an equity incentive plan.
- Comprehensive group benefits with no waiting period. Take advantage of coverage for health, vision, dental, and more for you and your family!
- Remote-first with the opportunity to work from anywhere—enjoy a change of scenery wherever you can get wifi and join our company retreats with fellow Tailscalars!
- Support for your personal and professional development. Grow your career thoughtfully with $1500 USD annually for professional development, leverage our conference budget to learn from experts in your field, or take advantage of mentorship, coaching, and internal promotion opportunities.
- Paid time off and a healthy work-life balance. Our flexible, paid time off program supports you for any situation life throws your way, whether you're moving or travelling the world! We encourage all Tailscalars to take 4-6 weeks of vacation annually.
- A build-your-own home office setup. You choose your own company-owned laptop (MAC or PC), receive a monthly home internet reimbursement, and $1000 USD to customize your workstation to make it your own.
- Generous parental leave program from your first day. We care about your life outside of work and encourage new parents to take advantage of parental leave top-ups for up to 26 weeks.