Synaptive Medical is a Canadian medical device company, based in downtown Toronto, focused on supporting healthcare professionals and systems in patient diagnosis and treatment. Synaptive’s suite of products include MRI, surgical planning, navigation, and robotic visualization – all of which can be seamlessly combined or used independently in the operating room. The company has a number of opportunities for innovative people to join the team and share in the development of technologies to solve surgical and imaging challenges in patient care.
We have a new and exciting opportunity for an Engineering Co-op to work on a new medical device. This is a great opportunity to exercise your breadth of engineering knowledge to help bring the latest technology to the market.
We are looking for someone who enjoys getting their hands dirty with rapid prototyping and hands-on troubleshooting and experimentation. You will be involved in several of Synaptive Medical’s projects, including:
- Neural Net / AI-based image recognition and segmentation project used in Synaptive Medical’s medical devices, particularly, improving multiple aspects of our image analysis systems such as training data preprocessing, synthetic data generation, code refactoring, etc.
- Data processing pipeline improvement project, particularly experimentation with several open-source tools and also in the implementation of new automated validation and verification scripts
What You’ll Do
- Implement multiple improvements to current synthetic data generation algorithms
- Implement automated scripts for evaluating the prediction accuracy of different synthetic data generation approaches
- Improve the organization of training data through a file store or file repository
- Make improvements in automated labeled data generation scripts
- Make improvements in the data processing pipeline automated verification framework
- Perform integration and analysis of third-party image processing tools and libraries
What You’ll Need
- Experience with Python programming language
- Experience with Machine Learning and AI
It’d Be Amazing If You Had
- Knowledge of TensorFlow library
- Knowledge of Jupyter Lab
- Experience with R or R Studio
- Experience with Latex
- Experience with Shell scripting
- Experience with C++ or similar object-oriented programming language
- Self-motivated and self-managing
- Inherent attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and on a team
- Ability to successfully work under tight project deadlines
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
Synaptive has a special duty to take a leadership role in protecting the health and wellbeing of its employees and the public. The COVID-19 vaccines are an important public health measure for mitigating the spread of COVID-19 in the workplace and society. As a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or a reason protected by legislation why they cannot be vaccinated against COVID-19.
Diversity & Inclusivity
Synaptive is based out of one of the most diverse countries in the world. This includes differences related to race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender expression and presentation, sexual orientation, religion, age, ability and socioeconomic status. To us, diversity is one our strongest assets to our organization. We commit ourselves to promoting the recognition and appreciation of our diverse and rich culture. We believe that it is critical to our success to promote freedom of thought and opinion in a respectful environment. The decisions we make are rooted by respectfully considering each other’s thoughts and opinions and by working towards a greater common goal, saving lives.
Synaptive Medical is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, including visible minorities, Indigenous People, and persons with disabilities. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. If as a qualified job applicant, you request accommodation, Synaptive will consult with you to provide reasonable accommodations according to your specific needs. If you wish to make a request, you will be provided an opportunity if your application is selected to proceed in our hiring process.
How to Apply
Unless otherwise stated, applications will only be considered from candidates eligible to work in Canada, or the country in which they’re applying to, without sponsorship.
If you are interested in this position and can demonstrate that you meet or exceed the requirements defined in the job description, please include #GOBRAIN in the top right corner of your resume and then complete your online application by clicking “Apply Now” and following the prompts.
The successful candidate to this role will be asked to complete background checks, which may include criminal, credit, employment and/or educational checks. All offers of employment are conditional on the receipt of satisfactory results of any applicable background check.
We would like to thank everyone who submits an application. Due to the volume that we receive, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Employment Indicator Internship