Compliance Lead - Legal and Privacy
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2023
StackAdapt is a self-serve advertising platform that specializes in multi-channel solutions including native, display, video, connected TV, audio, in-game, and digital out-of-home ads. We empower hundreds of digitally-focused companies to deliver outcomes and exceptional campaign performance everyday. StackAdapt was founded with a vision to be more than an advertising platform, it’s a hub of innovation, imagination and creativity.
StackAdapt is in an incredibly exciting phase of growth having recently doubled in employee size and having expanded its footprint outside of North America to establish a strong presence in EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) and APAC (Asia-Pacific) regions.
As StackAdapt’s first dedicated Compliance professional, you will be primarily responsible for designing, leading, driving and executing legal compliance programs for the Company globally (working closely with the Global Privacy Counsel), with a particular emphasis on privacy compliance. You will be a key collaborator across a range of internal teams at StackAdapt.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity that allows you to play a key role on an expanding Legal team at a high growth tech company, and to apply your leadership skills and vision to the role. You will report to the General Counsel, liaise with the C-suite and senior leadership team, and work closely and collaboratively with teams across all levels.
StackAdapt is a Remote First company. This role is open to candidates located anywhere in the United States.
Occasional travel may be required.
What you'll be doing:
- Privacy - 40%
- Design, develop and execute a comprehensive privacy strategy, ensuring alignment with data protection laws and regulatory requirements globally
- Evaluate and manage privacy risks associated with third-party vendors, tools, and services, ensuring they adhere to our privacy standards, and engage in negotiations regarding same
- Provide research and support in connection with policy, government relations, and legislation related to privacy and data security
- Stay current with emerging privacy technologies, trends, and regulatory developments, and apply this knowledge to enhance our privacy program
- Act as a key collaborator on building and implementing an internal data governance structure
- Support or lead as required data inventory and mapping for existing and new products and functions
- Build a maintenance cycle to ensure policy, training, incident handling programs are up-to-date and reflect the current legal landscape
- Compliance - 50%
- Ensure the company complies with relevant laws, regulations, and contractual obligationsConduct regular assessments to identify potential compliance risks and develop strategies to mitigate them
- Manage regulatory filings, licenses, and permits required for the company's operations
- Stay up-to-date with the rapidly changing adtech regulatory landscape
- Engage in regular cross-functional communication with the senior leadership team
- Design and implement general and function-specific trainingIdentify and assess potential legal and compliance risks in the company's operations and services
- Develop risk mitigation strategies, control measures, and contingency plansKey collaborator to develop and implement record retention and destruction policies and procedures
- Maintain a high personal standard of service and performance by actively participating in other duties as assigned, education seminars, training programs, and professional development
- Contribute to the enhancement of internal control processesSupport and provide legal review in respect of planning and compliance tools
- Vision and Collaboration – 10%
- Actively collaborate with a wide variety of internal teams, including Product, Engineering, Platform Quality, Internal Audit, and People & Culture, on a range of complex issues related to regulatory compliance
- Provide thought leadership internally and externally
- Provide mentorship and training to StackAdapters
What you’ll bring to the table:
- Proven experience in legal and compliance roles
- Expertise in global data protection laws and regulations, including an in-depth understanding of PIPEDA, CCPA and GDPR
- Hands-on experience in data protection and privacy, preferably in technology industry
- At least 8+ years’ relevant experience in an inhouse (or comparable) or reputable firm setting
- Strong understanding of or interest in the AdTech/MarTech industry and technology
- A positive, collaborative spirit, and a learning mindset Adaptable, comfortable with ambiguity, and enjoy a fast-paced environment and a variety of work
- Possess professional maturity and integrity, and high standard of ethics and confidentiality
- Exceptional writing skills, and strong attention to detail
- A legal designation (paralegal or law clerk) is preferred but not required; privacy, legal or compliance education in the relevant field, such as CIPP
- A desire to mentor and educate non-legal team members in a constructive and motivational way, consistent with StackAdapt culture and values
- Highly competitive salary
- RRSP/401K matching
- 3 weeks vacation + 3 personal care days + 1 Culture & Belief day + birthdays off
- Access to a comprehensive mental health care platform
- Health benefits from day one of employment
- Work from home reimbursements
- Optional global WeWork membership for those who want a change from their home office
- Robust training and onboarding program
- Coverage and support of personal development initiatives (conferences, courses, etc)
- Access to StackAdapt programmatic courses and certifications to support continuous learning
- An awesome parental leave policy
- A friendly, welcoming, and supportive culture
- Our social and team events!
StackAdapt is a diverse and inclusive team of collaborative, hardworking individuals trying to make a dent in the universe. No matter who you are, where you are from, who you love, follow in faith, disability (or superpower) status, ethnicity, or the gender you identify with (if you’re comfortable, let us know your pronouns), you are welcome at StackAdapt. If you have any requests or requirements to support you throughout any part of the interview process, please let our Talent team know.
We've been recognized for our diverse and supportive workplace, high performing campaigns, award-winning customer service, and innovation. We've been awarded:
2023 Best Workplaces for Women by Great Place to Work®
2023 Best Workplaces in Canada by Great Place to Work®