Marketing & Communications, Legal
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2023
StackAdapt is a self-serve advertising platform that specializes in multi-channel solutions including native, display, video, connected TV, audio, in-game, and digital out-of-home ads. We empower hundreds of digitally-focused companies to deliver outcomes and exceptional campaign performance everyday. StackAdapt was founded with a vision to be more than an advertising platform, it’s a hub of innovation, imagination and creativity.
StackAdapt is in an incredibly exciting phase of growth having recently doubled in employee size and having expanded its footprint outside of North America to establish a strong presence in EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) and APAC (Asia-Pacific) regions.
As StackAdapt’s first dedicated Advertising/Regulatory Counsel, and to support StackAdapt’s commitment to platform quality and compliance, you will lead all advertising/regulatory advice for the Company globally. You will be a key collaborator with the political team at StackAdapt, who works with clients involved in political advertising in the US and other markets.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity that allows you to play a key role on an expanding Legal team at a high growth tech company, and to apply your leadership skills and vision to the role. You will report to the General Counsel, liaise with the COO and senior leadership team, and work closely and collaboratively with teams across all levels in Revenue and Platform Quality.
StackAdapt is a Remote First company. This role is open to candidates located anywhere in the United States or Canada. Occasional travel may be required.
What you'll be doing:
- Monitor and advise on advertising regulations in multiple jurisdictions for sensitive or regulated verticals such as political, gaming, cannabis, healthcare
- Actively collaborate with a wide variety of teams including Product, Platform Quality, and Revenue on a range of complex issues related to regulatory compliance, commercialization, and advertising in certain regulated verticals
- Support and provide legal review in respect of planning and compliance tools
- Ownership of and helping build scalable and effective processes for legal review and monitoring developments in regulated verticals
- Draft commercial terms applicable to regulated verticals; manage escalations and inquiries
- Manage occasional outside counsel across multiple jurisdictions
- Responsible for keeping abreast of other current legislative developments that may have an impact on company operations or product
- Recommend changes based on the law or other legal issues that may involve StackAdapt strategic operations
- Respond to regulatory inquiries and serve as a liaison with regulators in regulatory issues in coordination with other stakeholders as appropriate
- Provide thought leadership internally and externally
What you’ll bring to the table:
- At least 5+ years’ relevant experience in an inhouse (or comparable) or reputable firm setting
- Previous Political advertising experience required
- Strong understanding of or interest in the AdTech/MarTech industry and technology
- Exceptional legal research skills, particularly in areas of new legislation and regulation and application of same to specific use cases
- Possess excellent legal and business judgment and are comfortable balancing legal risks and business strategy
- A positive, collaborative spirit, and a learning mindset
- Adaptable, comfortable with ambiguity, and enjoy a fast-paced environment and a variety of work
- Possess professional maturity and integrity
- Exceptional writing skills, strong attention to detail, and an ability to create original drafted documents
- A US law degree is preferred
- Call to the Bar in one or more US states or Canadian province; additional bar credentials an asset
- A desire to mentor and educate non-legal team members in a constructive and motivational way, consistent with StackAdapt culture and values
- 3 weeks vacation + 3 personal care days + 1 Culture & Belief day + birthdays off
- Highly competitive salary
- RRSP matching
- Access to a comprehensive mental health care platform
- Full benefits from day one of employment
- Work-from-home reimbursements
- Optional global WeWork membership for those who want a change from their home office
- Robust training and onboarding program
- Coverage and support of personal development initiatives (conferences, courses, etc.)
- Access to StackAdapt programmatic courses and certifications to support continuous learning
- Mentorship opportunities with industry leaders
- An awesome parental leave policy
- A friendly, welcoming, and supportive culture
- Our social and team events!
StackAdapt is a diverse and inclusive team of collaborative, hardworking individuals trying to make a dent in the universe. No matter who you are, where you are from, who you love, follow in faith, disability (or superpower) status, ethnicity, or the gender you identify with (if you’re comfortable, let us know your pronouns), you are welcome at StackAdapt. If you have any requests or requirements to support you throughout any part of the interview process, please let our Talent team know.
We've been recognized for our diverse and supportive workplace, high performing campaigns, award-winning customer service, and innovation. We've been awarded:
2023 Best Workplaces for Women by Great Place to Work®
2023 Best Workplaces in Canada by Great Place to Work®