Lead DevOps Engineer (Fully Remote)
Freestar specializes in developing state-of-the-art monetization solutions for websites. Through the integration of industry-leading technology, advanced data analytics, and a robust infrastructure, we empower busy website owners to effortlessly maximize their revenue while relieving themselves of the complexities of ad operations. By leveraging our expertise, site owners can seamlessly optimize their revenue streams and gain valuable time to focus on their core strengths: creating exceptional content. With Freestar, publishers can unlock their full potential and achieve greater success in their online endeavors.
As a Lead DevOps Engineer at Freestar, you'll collaborate with the Engineering and Architecture teams to establish and maintain our global customer-facing infrastructure. This includes high scalability and availability, data pipelines, and microservices. Your role requires being a motivated self-starter who excels in problem-solving and values uninterrupted product availability.
Your tasks involve researching and implementing enhancements to improve availability, scalability, and performance. You'll deploy monitoring tools and suggest alternative design approaches. Additionally, you'll strengthen security by implementing tools, identifying breaches, and making necessary adjustments. Overseeing build and deployment tools, you'll focus on smooth deployments, minimizing downtime, and establishing rollback protocols.
- Architecture and Infrastructure Design: Collaborate to design scalable and reliable GCP infrastructure solutions with software development teams and stakeholders. Understand application requirements, select suitable GCP services, and design a highly available and fault-tolerant architecture.
- Deployment Automation: Implement and maintain automated deployment pipelines using appropriate tools and services. Automate the provisioning and configuration of infrastructure resources using Infrastructure as Code (IaC).
- Continuous Integration and Delivery: Establish and enforce best practices for continuous integration and delivery (CI/CD) processes. Set up and maintain CI/CD pipelines to automate build, test, and deployment processes for applications and services.
- Infrastructure Provisioning and Management: Implement infrastructure provisioning and management processes using GCP services like Compute Engine, Kubernetes Engine, and Cloud Functions. Utilize containerization technologies like Docker and orchestration tools like Kubernetes for containerized deployments.
- Observability: Implement comprehensive monitoring and alerting solutions using GCP monitoring services and external services. Configure dashboards, alerts, and notifications to ensure timely identification and resolution of issues.
- Security and Compliance: Implement security best practices and ensure compliance with industry standards and regulations. Set up proper access controls, encryption mechanisms, and security monitoring for GCP resources. Conduct regular security audits and vulnerability assessments.
- Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity: Design and implement disaster recovery and business continuity plans for critical systems and data on GCP. Set up backup and recovery processes, implement failover mechanisms, and conduct periodic testing to ensure readiness.
- Cost Optimization: Optimize infrastructure costs by implementing cost management strategies, such as rightsizing resources, using managed services, and leveraging auto-scaling capabilities. Monitor and analyze usage patterns to identify cost-saving opportunities.
- Collaboration and Knowledge Sharing: Lead and mentor a team of DevOps engineers, providing guidance and support in adopting best practices and solving technical challenges. Foster collaboration across teams and facilitate knowledge sharing through documentation, training, and workshops.
- Curiosity. You love to stay up to date with the latest trends, features, and best practices related to Google Cloud services and DevOps methodologies. You are continuously evaluating new tools and technologies.
- 6-8 years of experience working in a DevOps role, with a strong understanding of DevOps principles and practices. Extensive experience in leading large-scale web applications in production.
- A deep understanding of GCP services such as Compute Engine, Kubernetes Engine, Cloud Functions, Cloud Storage, Cloud Pub/Sub, and more. Strong knowledge of GCP networking, security, and IAM (Identity and Access Management) is also important.
- Proficiency writing infrastructure code to provision and manage GCP resources in a declarative and reproducible manner (Terraform or Google Cloud Deployment Manager).
- Strong knowledge and experience with CI/CD pipelines and related tools such as Google Cloud Build, Jenkins, Github Action, or similar, with hands-on experience in automating build, test, and deployment processes for applications and infrastructure.
- Deep understanding of containerization technologies like Docker and container orchestration (k8s) is highly desirable. Experience deploying and managing containerized applications on GKE is a plus.
- Proficiency in implementing monitoring and observability solutions using GCP monitoring services such as Cloud Monitoring, Logging, and Tracing. Experience in working with industry standard tools like Datadog, Prometheus and Grafana.
- Strong understanding of security best practices and experience in implementing security controls and compliance frameworks on GCP.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to troubleshoot complex issues across different layers of the technology stack. You should be able to identify root causes, implement effective solutions, and provide technical guidance to the team.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills are essential for working with cross-functional teams, stakeholders, and presenting technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.
What you can expect in return:
- Full-Time, Salaried Position
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- Generous Flexible Time Away policy
- 401K with company match, vested immediately
- The opportunity to be part of something BIG
Freestar is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.