Sr. Lease Accountant
Sonder is revolutionizing hospitality through innovative, tech-powered service and inspiring, thoughtfully designed accommodations combined into one seamlessly managed experience. Officially launched in 2014 and headquartered in San Francisco, Sonder is making a world of better stays open to all with a variety of accommodation options — from rooms to suites and apartments — found in more than 30 cities spanning eight countries and three continents. Sonder’s innovative app empowers guests by making self-service features and 24/7 on-the-ground support just a tap away. From simple self check-in to boutique bathroom amenities, we bring the best of a hotel without any of the formality.
We are looking for a Senior Lease Accountant to join the Accounting Team and will report to the Lease Accounting Manager.
AT SONDER YOU WILL:
- Lease Accounting facilitates lease payments, performs monthly recording and reviewing of lease transactions, and serves as a liaison for addressing landowner inquiries.
- This role will be responsible for helping with Sonder's implementation of CoStar Real Estate Manager, the lease accounting and management software, building out public company readiness processes and controls, as well as eventually gathering, reviewing, and inputting project data into CoStar.
- In addition, this individual will be extracting data from CoStar to perform month-end journal entry processing, balance sheet reconciliations, and other reviews of financial data.
- The Senior Lease Accountant will also assist the AP team with the processing of lease payments.
- As needed, the Senior Lease Accountant will work closely with the Lease Administration team to set up and maintain lease projects in CoStar which requires handling and processing large volumes of information in a short timeframe.
- Assist with set-up of all new leases and validation of lease data and attributes
- Gather, verify and input cross-functional data into the lease management tool
- Own the month-end close process for lease accounting preparation, including recording monthly lease journal entries and completing public company level account reconciliations and internal controls
- Work closely with the AP team to reconcile and initiate lease payments, ensuring they are processed completely, accurately, and timely
- Prepare ad hoc reports as needed to support routine reviews, accounting, and financial reporting needs
- Create and maintain procedural documentation and training materials
- Assist the organization with other quarterly and annual internal control processes
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or related area
- Minimum 5 years of experience in lease accounting.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), specifically ASC842 and internal control requirements required.
- Knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards recommended as well.
- CPA designation preferred
- Previous accounting and reconciliation experience required
- Working knowledge of the COSO internal controls framework
- Lease software experience a plus but not required
- Ability to multitask and strong organizational skills
- Strong Microsoft office skills, including knowledge of Excel
- Previous experience successfully handling multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience with lease administration database systems and accounting systems preferred (previous CoStar and/or Netsuite experience a plus)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal communication
- Works well with a team
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage time and work to tight deadlines
We also have great benefits to make your life easier so you can focus on what you’re best at:
Generous stock plan
Medical, dental and vision insurance (where applicable)
Annual free credits and discounts to stay in Sonders
A company with a huge vision, a dynamic work environment, and a team of smart, ambitious and fun to work-with colleagues!
Workplace flexibility (for remote-specified positions only) #ABetterWaytoWork
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status or other protected classes.
Something looks off?