Senior Staff Engineer - Ruby on Rails
Softmax Data inc.
Position: Senior Staff Engineer, Ruby
Number of positions: 1
Softmax Data Inc. is headquartered in Vancouver’s downtown core. We are a boutique consultancy specializing in developing proprietary software in machine learning, data pipeline, and data analytics.
We are looking for a software developer specialized in Ruby to serve one of our core clients, a leader in the US real estate software space. The Software Engineer should be interested in becoming part of a team building innovative software solutions with external clients. This position will work mainly on our client’s team, but will have opportunities to work with a broad set of other clients.
As the Senior Staff Engineer, the individual is required to devote 25% of working time to managing other engineers on our team. The candidate must have had leadership experience managing or mentoring other engineers.
- Manage a team of internal and external engineers that can be based across the US, Canada, Australia and various offshore teams.
- Train and mentor members of the team
- Ensure high standards are met and maintained, training the team as required.
- Driving the best practices and development principles, understanding key metrics, and finding ways for team to continue to improve.
- Leading the planning efforts of new features for the team and working with the product to ensure team has all the information required to bring features into Release.
- Assist Engineering Manager with the delivery of Product features, managing timelines and assisting the team by removing blockers and delivery of Sprint goals.
- Helping to reduce the Support backlog by identifying and eliminating the root cause of high-impact issues.
- Create and maintain technical design documents, including workflow design of company API’s.
- Working productively with minimum supervision as well as enjoying collaborating with others.
- Must already have the legal status to work in Canada
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science (or equivalent).
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience with ideally 1 in a leadership capacity of some form
- An understanding and ability to develop code in Ruby, and Ruby on Rails 4+ (minimum 3 years’ experience) as well as libraries such as Resque and Rspec.
- Understanding of Docker containers and working with them in a development env.
- Using git as a code repository and workflow.
- Postgres Database and SQL knowledge.
- Understanding of API design and the pros/cons of communicating over the network between services.
- A responsibility for quality, with a practice of writing and automating tests
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills as well as the ability to analyze complex problems in large systems.
- Ability to communicate clearly and collaborate with others.
- Characteristics of being a detail oriented, analytical, and creative thinker with passion for writing clean maintainable code.
- Redis async jobs using the Sidekiq ruby library.
- Detail-oriented and organized with the ability to manage and simplify complex systems & requirements.
- Creative and innovative with a passion for continuous improvement.
- Agile process experience with an ability to work in small teams.
We offers a competitive salary and a full list of benefits including:
- Remote work option across Canada
- Medical/Dental/Vision; including for dependents
- Life insurance with medical coverage
- Flexible schedules
- Paid Time Off
- Employee Stock Option Plan for all permanent employees
No agencies please.