Embedded Test Engineer
Sera4 protects critical infrastructure in remote places around the globe. We have created a keyless platform for physical access control that is both easy to use and highly secure. We operate globally; our technology is patented, and we are just getting started!
At Sera4, shared results matter. We embrace the challenges in finding practical solutions to tough problems. Our mission is to create the absolute best employee experience, every day! As we continue to scale our team, we are actively looking for the brightest and most passionate professionals to join us on our journey.
In your role as Embedded Test Engineer, you will be responsible for the quality of Sera4 products. Reporting to the Director of Hardware and Embedded Software, you will qualify hardware and firmware using physical and virtual environments in an automated and manual manner. You will work in a highly collaborative environment with the hardware engineering team and in conjunction with the mobile software team to execute in parallel to development. You will be involved in projects by attending planning and standup meetings; expect to provide your own testing expertise, direction, and leadership. During the hardware certification phases, you will also be responsible for learning country-based certifications and test cases. The team expects you to develop automated test cases and analysis reports, which will contribute to the stability and security of our products.
Ultimately, you will be responsible for overseeing and reporting on the quality of the Sera4 hardware products.
What You Will Do
· Verification and validation through manual, automated, and hybrid testing
· Develop automated test suites and sanity tests for our CI/CD pipeline
· Create meaningful and thorough reports of test efforts and defects found
· Work with other teams and review documentation to understand requirements and implementations
· Provide critical feedback into the design of future products
Basic Success Criteria
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent experience
· 3+ years of experience testing in distributed, high-performance, or mission-critical systems
· Previous development experience with C/C++ and Python
· Previous experience using Linux-based hardware testbeds
· Strong technical, organizational, and problem-solving skills
· Excellent documentation, communication, and collaboration skills
· Experience developing automated test cases
· Experience using continuous integration systems (Atlassian-based tools)
· Background in security and/or secure design principles
· Experience with bootloaders, device drivers, and their communications protocols
· Experience reading and working with schematic/circuit diagrams and hardware datasheets
· Experience using tools like oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, volt meters, and programmable power supplies to test code interactions
· Experience with wireless communication systems (Bluetooth, cellular 3G/4G/5G)
· Experience with hardware-based certifications (radio-frequency and/or safety standards)
This position often requires working from our headquarters in Waterloo because of its focus on the hardware and test environment. However, this position is flexible -- and working from home is often possible depending on the project and schedule.
At Sera4 we understand and value diversity in our employees and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We hire the best talent regardless of gender, national origin, disability, or race. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please don’t hesitate to let us know.