Accounting & Finance
Waterloo Ave, Toronto, ON M3H, Canada
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2023
Reporting to the CFO, the Controller will be responsible for the broad ownership of financial reporting and financial operations including the period end close cycle, management reporting, payroll, tax compliance, vendor contract management and treasury. As the second person to join RouteThis’ Finance Team, the Controller will play a key role in building out the Finance function working towards implementing high operational standards. A trusted partner within the business and to the Executive Team, the Controller will support departments to ensure we are performing against plan, provide advisory around investments and opportunities for growth and efficiency.
This is an exciting and rare opportunity to build a world class Finance team with a fast-growing SaaS company and deliver on highly impactful work, even better if you’ve seen this growth play out before and want to join at an earlier stage. RouteThis is post-Series A and backed by top Canadian and US VC’s including Inovia, Round13 and Intel Capital.
In this role, you will:
- Financial Operations & Processes
- Financial Reporting
- Financial Tools & Automation
- Budgeting & Analysis
- Audit & Tax Compliance
- Business Partner
- Ad-Hoc Projects
Responsible for all bookkeeping including customer billing, accounts receivable, accounts payable and treasury. Responsible for developing and enhancing accounting policies and processes to align with RouteThis’ projected growth and complexity of transactions with a strong focus on automation to enable scale.
Responsible for executing on a 5 day closing cycle in an accurate, timely and complete manner to deliver monthly P&L, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow, SaaS metrics and KPI reporting to stakeholders. Responsible for preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements in accordance with Accounting Standards for Private Enterprises (ASPE) to meet all relevant compliance requirements including bank, investor and tax authorities.
Responsible for building out RouteThis’ financial systems infrastructure for scale, working to increase automation to reduce errors and improve timeliness of information. You will assist the CFO in selecting a new ERP and oversee the implementation of the selected system with an eye to improve existing processes and enhance internal control posture.
Support quarterly and annual budgeting processes including preparation, review and analysis of departmental specific budgets. On a monthly basis, you will complete the budget versus actual reporting and meeting with stakeholders to inform them of performance, emerging trends, risks and opportunities.
Lead the external audit process with RouteThis’ chosen accounting firm, providing all required working papers and responding to queries in a timely basis. Responsible for timely completion of tax filings. In future, you will act as a key contributor to due diligence in future fundraising activities.
Serve as a Finance business partner to departments, assisting them in establishing their budgets, evaluating investment cases, identifying risks and opportunities to achieve their goals and providing high quality variance analysis on performance of actual versus budget. You will support them on operational issues including vendor contracts, negotiations and payments. In addition, serve as key partner to People & Culture in completion of payroll for organization.
Assist in implementation of key operational projects such as new cost center frameworks, performance dashboards, custom P&L’s, implementation of new performance measures and supporting of operational teams in our “Built to Last” strategic goal.
You bring to the table:
- Candidates with 5-7+ years of experience in an progressive accounting / finance role, having worked in and owning full-cycle accounting. Bonus is you have previous high-growth SaaS / Technology company experience in the range of $10-25M+ in revenue.
- Bachelor's degree specializing in accounting or finance, as well as completion of a CPA/ CMA/CA designation.
- Experience reporting in compliance with Accounting Standards for Private Enterprises (ASPE)
- Familiar with key financial statements including QuickBooks, Sage Intacct or Netsuite (for future), Salesforce, and Stripe.
- Advanced Excel Skills.
- Track record of execution and team player attitude, ability to lead projects from start to finish. You make those around you better and take a servant leadership approach.
- A meticulous attention to detail. You take pride in the quality of your reporting and your superpower is knowing every dollar that comes into and out of a Company.
- A deep analytical thinker with advanced Excel skills.
- A mindset for scale, looking at how reports / models are built and the data that fees them so you can see how to connect tools and information harmoniously.
- A strong ability to build and develop processes to enable scalability of a fast-growing company.
- An excellent understanding of SaaS KPI’s and metrics. You can tell a story of what’s happening in the business operationally and financially.
- An excitement to work in a fast-moving and growing company. You are highly adaptable and understand startup environments with a proven ability to adapt to change and roll up your sleeves to get the job done.
You should have:
Do you feel like you’re able to tackle this role? Show us what you got! We absolutely don’t expect applicants to check off every box for any of our positions, and welcome you to apply if you feel like you are an excellent fit.
Who we are:
RouteThis is a fast-growing tech company that is changing the way ISPs and Smart Home companies handle technical support around the world. Instead of dealing with frustrating, long support calls where agents are unable to accurately identify issues, the RouteThis platform gives technical support teams the answers they need to immediately identify and resolve customers’ issues -- or help customer to solve it themselves before even needing to call. We are headquartered in the Waterloo Region and our customers are all over the globe. If you want to work on the next generation of network diagnostics that provides a disruptive new approach for tech support teams, you should be working at RouteThis!
Growth: As a rapidly growing startup, we’re constantly facing new challenges and prefer to promote from within. By working with us, you can jumpstart and shape your career.
Team: At RouteThis you’ll be working on a highly-motivated team. We have carefully selected who we hire as we are a close team.
Fun: We host social events both virtual and in person. We believe that work should be fun and engaging.
Perks & Benefits: We offer competitive salaries, stock options and a comprehensive benefits package.
Location: Located in the Waterloo-region in downtown Kitchener, we offer flexible work arrangements including hybrid and virtual options.
Please note: We thank all applicants for your interest in RouteThis. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Agency calls will not be accepted. RouteThis is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, provincial, or local law. Please let us know if you require an accommodation due to a disability and we will work with you to address your needs.
See more open positions at RouteThis
Something looks off?