Software Engineer, Risk
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2023
Our mission is to increase the success rate of small businesses. Traditional banking has been a growth limiter rather than a growth enabler for business owners, and we’re changing that. Relay is the all-in-one, collaborative money management platform. We’re building for employer SMBs and their finance function, internal and external, and are focused on delivering a human-centric customer experience. Ultimately, we help SMBs be ‘on the money'.
Relay is entering an exciting new chapter of growth. We’re looking for a Software Engineer, Risk to help us build a risk infrastructure from the ground up. You’ll be responsible for building and improving tools that identify, assess, and mitigate potential transaction fraud risks facing our organization. This is an exciting opportunity to help shape a new area of our business with high ownership on high-impact initiatives. If you're looking for an opportunity to build a best-in-class banking product that is changing the way SMBs succeed apply now!
What You'll Be Doing:
- Help shape the future of our risk infrastructure by solving our tough technical problems with reliable and maintainable solutions
- Build new tools to monitor application verification, transaction monitoring, and third-party integrations
- Enhance our existing risk tooling by implementing best-in-class tools (external and internal) to enable our risk experience and loss goals
- Develop and implement risk management strategies like in-house heuristics and rules to mitigate fraud
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams (Operations, Customer Experience, Risk, Marketing) to ensure risk considerations are integrated into every aspect of our product
- Proactively identify and build the team’s processes and codebases, and implement best practices
Who You Are:
- You have 2+ years of experience in software engineering with a focus on payments risk and fraud
- We are a Node.js and Typescript shop but we’re flexible and make pragmatic technology choices. We’re looking to use the right tools for our risk domain and will rely on your expertise to guide us
- You have working knowledge of AWS services (DynamoDB, Lambda, Kinesis Firehose, SQS, SNS)
- You’re a strong back-end engineer but also have working knowledge of React and its ecosystem for occasional improvements to our internal UI tools
- You enjoy working with event-based systems and architecture
- You're perpetually curious and always learning - whether about the latest languages, frameworks, best practices, or the tech industry in general
- You can rise to a challenge and handle change and uncertainty at times - we are a startup after all!
- You’re highly collaborative and know how to work with multiple stakeholders across teams
- You're a self-starter, a problem-solver, a creative thinker, and you're not afraid to share your ideas and provide and receive feedback
- You’re familiar with fraud vendors like Sardine, Socure, SEON, Finicity, Castle, Plaid, Sift, Unit21
- You have knowledge of streaming technologies like Kafka and Kinesis
Our Tech Stack:
- Front-end: React, Typescript, Redux, Redux-Saga, React Native
- Back-end: Node.js, Typescript, Terraform, AWS (DynamoDB, RDS Postgres, Lambda, S3, SQS, SNS, SES, ElasticSearch, ECS)
- Tools: GitHub, GitHub Actions, Docker, CircleCI, Jira, Datadog, Metabase, VS Code
- Integrations: Plaid, QuickBooks, Xero, Gusto, Yodlee, Finicity, Castle, Sardine, Middesk, Vero
Our Commitment To You:
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity: every team member gets a piece of the pie.
- Comprehensive health benefits: we offer full health benefits + an HSA/WSA starting from day 1 so you get the coverage you need.
- Considerable vacation/end-of-year holiday shutdown: we take time off to reset and recharge so we come back better for our customers.
- Hybrid working environment: we love collaborating and connecting in office two times a week and offer bi-weekly catered lunches and a snack/beverage program for the days we’re in office
- Personal and professional growth: support from leaders who care about your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching. Our goal is to make Relay a step-change career opportunity.
- Top-tier equipment: we’ll make sure you have everything you need to produce your best work.
- Team-first culture: we’re passionate about working collaboratively, bonding through team events, and most importantly having fun.
The Interview Process:
Stage 1: A 45-minute Google Meets video call with a member of the People Team
Stage 2: A 2-hour Google Meets video call with the Engineering Team; 1-hour for a work experience deep dive and 1-hour for a technical assessment
Stage 3: A 30-minute Google Meets video call with the CEO of Relay
Research shows that women-identifying and other marginalized individuals tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications. If you don't have all the listed qualifications, we encourage you to apply anyway, and together we'll figure out if this is the best role for you!
What’s Important to Us:
At Relay, we believe that diversity is key to building high-performing teams, and creating an inclusive work environment is our priority. We are an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will work with applicants to provide accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations during the interview process, please email your People Team contact, and we will work with you to meet your needs.
See more open positions at Relay
Something looks off?