Senior Software Engineer (Python or Golang)
Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC) is possibly the biggest Internet company you’ve never heard of. We started as a simple shareware site in 1993 and have since grown into a stable of businesses: Tucows Domains, Ting Internet and Wavelo.
We embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and flexibility. We believe that whatever works for our employees is what works best for us. It’s also why the majority of our roles are remote-first, meaning you can work from anywhere you can connect to the Internet!
Today, over one thousand people work in over 20 countries to help us make the Internet better. If this sounds exciting to you, join the herd!
We are seeking to hire a keen and self-motivated individual who loves the Internet, and loves learning, sharing their knowledge and applying new technologies to complex problems.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining software solutions that meet business requirements, using Python and/or Golang programming languages. You are capable of navigating and understanding existing codebases and building applications from scratch. You are open to giving and receiving feedback, participating in code reviews and design discussions. In addition to the above, you are nimble and able to remain effective when priorities shift. You will work closely with cross-functional teams to develop high-quality software solutions that drive innovation in our products.
Key skills and experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in a software engineering environment, with a proven track record of delivering high-quality software solutions.
- Proficiency in modern features of Python or Golang programming languages.
- Strong knowledge and experience in PostgreSQL as a relational database, including developing triggers, constraints, and functions.
- Experience designing and developing RESTful APIs using frameworks such as FastAPI.
- Experience with Docker container technology.
- Experience working with project management tools such as issue trackers.
- Experience with Continuous Integration concepts and tools.
- Experience mentoring other developers.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
Nice-to-have skills and experience:
- Knowledge and experience with Docker Swarm mode, Nomad, or Kubernetes.
- Knowledge and experience with message brokers or event-driven architectures, with a preference for RabbitMQ.
- Exposure to multiple programming languages.
- Experience in developing software for cloud-based environments.
What you’ll be doing:
In the first 30 days:
- Gain a deep understanding of our existing platforms.
- Continue to learn by starting to implement code changes from pull request to production.
- Share your unique perspectives in discussions on processes, tools, and best practices.
In the first 3 months:
- Contribute to technical design and architecture discussions.
- Collaboratively participate in code reviews with high standards for code quality.
- Design and implement features of increasing complexity.
In the first year:
- Share knowledge and act as a trusted mentor to junior team members.
- Own projects or features from conception to release.
- Stay up-to-date with emerging trends and technologies in software engineering and apply them to the development process.
The base salary range for this position is $117,000.00 - $130,000.00 USD for US residents OR $103,000.00 to $114,000.00 CAD for Canadian residents. Other countries will differ. Range may vary on a number of factors including, but not limited to: location, experience and qualifications. Tucows believes in a total rewards offering that includes fair compensation and generous benefits. Learn more about Tucows Benefits. Tucows and its subsidiaries participate in the E-verify program for all US employees.
Want to know more about what we stand for? At Tucows we care about protecting the open Internet, narrowing the digital divide, and supporting fairness and equality.
We also know that diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.