Sr. Database Reliability Engineer
Wavelo is a SaaS business on a mission to make telecoms a breeze.
We provide flexible software that modernizes how communication service providers (CSPs) do business, helping them drive more value, focus on customer experience, and scale their operations faster.
As part of Tucows (NASDAQ:TCX, TSX:TC)—one of the world’s largest Internet services companies—Wavelo is backed by outstanding resources and talent. We embrace a people-first philosophy that is rooted in respect, trust, and flexibility. We believe that whatever works for our employees is what works best for us. It’s also why the majority of our roles are remote-first, meaning you can work from anywhere you can connect to the Internet!
The work we do genuinely changes lives. If this sounds exciting, we’d love to hear from you!
About the Opportunity:
Wavelo is looking for a PostgreSQL expert to join a small team of database and operations engineers.
You'll be participating in a redesign of the current database platform, as well as a project to increase visibility into the platform via monitoring and logging.
Long-term responsibilities will also include data modelling, and enforcing best practices in application behaviour.
Our team's goals include increased stability, hands-off automation, and seamless high availability.
- You excel at solving problems at scale for millions of users
- You are committed to delivering stable solutions that don't keep you up at night
- Data modelling and database design based on user and system requirements
- Work alongside developers to solve database-related design problems
- Work with monitoring tools to provide key database insights to team members
- Coding infrastructure as code (IAC) that produces reliable, and highly available databases at scale
- Troubleshooting issues in pre- and post-production
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Expert knowledge of PostgreSQL including server-side programming.
- Strong skills in database modelling of business objects taking advantage of PostgreSQL’s type system.
- Strong experience with configuration management tools such as Terraform and SaltStack
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- CI/CD related to databases is a plus
- Comfortable with Linux command line, and basic Linux troubleshooting
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- 5+ years of professional experience in database engineering
- 3+ years of professional experience with PostgreSQL
Want to know more about what we stand for? At Wavelo and Tucows we care about protecting the open Internet, narrowing the digital divide, and supporting fairness and equality.The base salary range for this position is $146,300.00 - $162,500.00 USD for US residents OR $130,000.00 - $144,000.00 CAD for Canadian residents. Other countries will differ. Range may vary on a number of factors including, but not limited to: location, experience and qualifications. Tucows believes in a total rewards offering that includes fair compensation and generous benefits. Learn more about Tucows Benefits.
We also know that diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Tucows and its subsidiaries participate in the E-verify program for all US employees.
Learn more about Tucows, our businesses, culture and employee benefits on our site here.